Heat Exhaustion And Heat Stroke Can Kill Your Dog And You!

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

I am so sick of this heat angryfire.gif I feel so bad for the pups cause we haven't been able to go to the park for our walks in weeks. They just don't understand how dangerous it is out there and everytime I get up they think we are going for a walk sad.gif I guess it could be worse and we all could be shoveling tons of snow lol.gif

Mine are STIR CRAZY!!! It was 102 here today, and JUST STANDING outside, was HEck!!! I was talking to my neighbor for about ten minutes outside, and we were BOTH drenched!!

I will take the snow anyday! Yes, we are ALL sick of this CRAP!angryfire.gifsad.gif

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeddysMom

I am so sick of this heat angryfire.gif I feel so bad for the pups cause we haven't been able to go to the park for our walks in weeks. They just don't understand how dangerous it is out there and everytime I get up they think we are going for a walk sad.gif I guess it could be worse and we all could be shoveling tons of snow lol.gif

Mine are STIR CRAZY!!! It was 102 here today, and JUST STANDING outside, was HEck!!! I was talking to my neighbor for about ten minutes outside, and we were BOTH drenched!!

I will take the snow anyday! Yes, we are ALL sick of this CRAP!angryfire.gifsad.gif

I can hardly wait until fall and winter. I'll take the snow any day over temps above 80 degrees.

Guest greyhound1

Heat index was 110 yesterday! Today will be worse. One quick walk at 6am. Then quick potty breaks by 11am and mine stay in til 6pm for potty break. No night walks for us. Just way too hot. My a/c at 76. I hate to see August here.

Guest Energy11

Heat index was 110 yesterday! Today will be worse. One quick walk at 6am. Then quick potty breaks by 11am and mine stay in til 6pm for potty break. No night walks for us. Just way too hot. My a/c at 76. I hate to see August here.

DH is there in Central Fla. now, visiting kids and grands! Staying in the Clermont area! Believe it or not, we are almost as hottt here! AND, I moved FROM Florida due to the heat! :-( Last two summer here were VERY tolerable! I, TOO, HATE to see AUGUST! sad.gif

Thankfully the heat has broken somewhat, at least around Philly. Patrick is finally willing to leave the air conditioning for longer than the 30 seconds it takes to pee (glaring at me the whole time), and is back to hanging out in his yard. I hope it's getting better for other folks too.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

GLAD TO HEAR the heat broke a bit for you guys!!! That IS good news!

Here??? NOPE! Going to get HOTTER between now and next Tuesday! Even a day or two's break would be appreciated. eek.gifmad.gif

Guest TeddysMom

According to the weather report this morning, the midwest will begin another excesive heat wave which will peak next Wednesday at 95 degrees with high humidity. Please don't let your guard down. Protect yourselves and your animals. I can't believe that we still have August, normally the hottest month, to go yet. :crying

Guest Energy11

The SOUTHEAST is under YET ANOTHER HEATWAVE!! (***I never saw the last few end :-( ***)!!!

I have NEVER seen heat like this, since leaving Florida! The dogs don't want to be out for ANY reason. They just pee, poop, and inside. I am DEPRESSED, because we can't do anything outside. Just sweeping the porch today, and I was DRENCHED!!

At least the folks in the Northeast, including my elderly Dad and Mom, got a break!!! 55 degrees tonight! CAN YOU IMAGINE now wonderful that would feel??????????????????????

Yes, please keep your guard up, ... summer is still here!! ... sigh! angryfire.gifmad.gif

Guest HersheysMom

The SOUTHEAST is under YET ANOTHER HEATWAVE!! (***I never saw the last few end :-( ***)!!!

I have NEVER seen heat like this, since leaving Florida! The dogs don't want to be out for ANY reason. They just pee, poop, and inside. I am DEPRESSED, because we can't do anything outside. Just sweeping the porch today, and I was DRENCHED!!

At least the folks in the Northeast, including my elderly Dad and Mom, got a break!!! 55 degrees tonight! CAN YOU IMAGINE now wonderful that would feel??????????????????????

Yes, please keep your guard up, ... summer is still here!! ... sigh! angryfire.gifmad.gif

Poor you! And the poor dogs. That's awful. Your electric bill must be through the roof!! Hey, did your dad ever get a/c?

It's 97 here at 7:30 with a heat index of 107. We are heading out to play for a few minutes before it starts getting dark.

Both Jet and T know when they've had enough and will head back inside and lay on the cool floor and get some water. Well, Jet won't lay on the cool floor, but she also won't be out chasing a ball either, she'll just walk around or stick near me.

Guest Energy11

Poor you! And the poor dogs. That's awful. Your electric bill must be through the roof!! Hey, did your dad ever get a/c?

NOPE! Dad is wayyy too stubborn for AC. I tried to get him one of those portable units on wheels, but he said no. He did let me get him a new fan, though. smile.gif

It's 97 here at 7:30 with a heat index of 107. We are heading out to play for a few minutes before it starts getting dark.

Both Jet and T know when they've had enough and will head back inside and lay on the cool floor and get some water. Well, Jet won't lay on the cool floor, but she also won't be out chasing a ball either, she'll just walk around or stick near me.

YIKES! I think you have us beat in the heat index dept. We did get to 97 today, and we are in the mountains mad.gifeek.gif ... go figure. The last two summers, we were able to walk the crew almost daily, on the property. Not this year. Boy oh boy, I can't wait for fall!

Think I need to find a cool floor to lie on ... sounds good! lol.gif

15 mins - T came in twice to lay on the floor quickly before coming back out again and Jet was just out exploring and came in and had a drink of water and is good.

If they just got off the plane from Kodiak, I'd not have done it, but they have acclimated to the heat (and love it) and they seem to know their limits, so I'm comfortable with them playing in the yard with the heat. We just make sure we aren't over doing it.

Guest Energy11

15 mins - T came in twice to lay on the floor quickly before coming back out again and Jet was just out exploring and came in and had a drink of water and is good.

If they just got off the plane from Kodiak, I'd not have done it, but they have acclimated to the heat (and love it) and they seem to know their limits, so I'm comfortable with them playing in the yard with the heat. We just make sure we aren't over doing it.

WOW! That is good! Mine will stay out a while in the larger pen, but really seem to dislike the heat as much as I do. I guess they understand me saying ... %%$&!! Heat! lol.gif

I would LOVE to be on a plane to Kodiak, right now! My whole family says I need to live in Alaska, and I totally AGREE!wink.gif

Hold on to your hats, it was 101 here today with a heat index of 112!:eek The temperatures are going to be 101 on Monday with dangerous heat index, 100 Tuesday, with the same heat index and 100 Wednesday!:eek

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

angryfire.gif

Hold on to your hats, it was 101 here today with a heat index of 112!eek.gif The temperatures are going to be 101 on Monday with dangerous heat index, 100 Tuesday, with the same heat index and 100 Wednesday!eek.gif

I KNOW!!!!!!!!! We are 97 here with heat indexes in the 100s!! Now, when I lived in Fla, when people asked me where I lived, I'd say ..."The Center of HEck and you?" BUT, I take that back! THIS is The Center or HEck!! sad.gifangryfire.gif

SIXTEEN years in Fla., and I can HONESTLY say, it was NEVER this hotttt!! What the HEck???? Dogs are ridiculously stir crazy, not to mention me. We went out at 9 for a potty and treat break, and the sweat just poured off.

This has GOT to break, and SOON!! OMG... I do NOT want to see last, or this month's electric bills!

Those of you living in the Center of HEck, DO BE CAREFUL with your dogs and yourselves. I think this is THE WORST heatwave yet!! angryfire.gif

Yes it is, we are under an EXCESSIVE HEAT ADVISORY. This is worse than the regular HEAT ADVISORIES that we normally have.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Yes it is, we are under an EXCESSIVE HEAT ADVISORY. This is worse than the regular HEAT ADVISORIES that we normally have.

WE aren't under the "excessive" heat advisories, but South of Atlanta, they are. I HOPE people realized JUST how SERIOUS this is, and that, they will not be out in it!

Give me snow, anyday! I can bundle up and shovel! THIS, we can do NOTHING about, besides pray the electric doesn't go out! UNREAL!

Stay safe!

I just heard on the tv news this AM that RI (where I'm staying lately) had the second hottest July on record. The average high was 87+ degrees and there were (I forget which) 8 or 9 days above 90! Some summers, there aren't that many days above 90 in the whole summer!

I'm gonna tell Claudia ;) that she brought the heat with her from the desert--but the humidity was RI's gift to her. :P

Edited because I had too much wine last night :blush and cant spell.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

I just heard on the tv news this AM that RI (where I'm staying lately) had the second hottest July on record. The average high was 87+ degrees and there were (I forget which) 8 or 9 days above 90! Some summers, there aren't that many days above 90 in the whole summer!

I'm gonna tell Claudia wink.gif that she brought the heat with her from the desert--but the humidity was RI's gift to her. tongue.gif

Edited because I had too much wine last night blush.gif and cant spell.

Yep! Definitely blame the heat on Claudia!!! wink.giflol.gif

Edited by Energy11

Guest TeddysMom

I think I could live in Alaska with no problem. I hate this heat. It was 95 in town yesterday and today is supposed to be even hotter. I hope this is just a one year fluke. Please everyone be careful with yourselves and your pups.

Guest Flysmom

Just came home - the car showed me a constant 101F all the way home! We are so miserable here!! We are not even going in the pool because it is so hot!

Would you believe I let Bullitt out to go potty and I went back to let him in and he's sun bathing! I called him, he wouldn't come so I squirted him with the hose. That made him come in. It's 97 right now with a heat index of 114:eek

Guest Energy11

Would you believe I let Bullitt out to go potty and I went back to let him in and he's sun bathing! I called him, he wouldn't come so I squirted him with the hose. That made him come in. It's 97 right now with a heat index of 114:eek

Yes, I believe it! I just had to railroad THREE inside, and we are 98!!!! I don't even want to go out there to pooper scoop, and these yahoos want to sunbathe????????????

DH is making his way to the Orlando area from Hollywood FL, and says the HIGHS for this week will be 88!! He stays over in the Orlando area tonight, and flies back tomorrow.

SINCE WHEN did Florida get cooler than the mountains???????? SCAREY!!!!

Guest Flysmom

Arghhh!! It is supposed to be 106 tomorrow!

As for the sunbathing - Cisco was outside today lying in the sun not wanting to come in... :blink: