Antibiotics And Eating

Ryan LIVES for food. Even when he would scream in pain when he'd move when he first got sick, he'd still jump up to get breakfast and dinner.

Now, he's still happily getting up for meals, but he's not finishing them. I have to encourage him to eat (first because he thought I was putting the nasty tasting pills in his food still), now I think his belly is just not feeling great - even with the pepcid.

He can't afford to not eat.

He still has the rest of this week with antibiotics. Anything else I can give to him to help him feel better and eat?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Pepto sometimes works or you can check with your vet to see if they can give you some Sucralfate.

It's a pill you crush up and mix with a bit of water to help coat the stomach.

If the antibiotic is really upsetting his stomach you might want to check with the vet to see if there is another antibiotic you can go with that won't upset his stomach as much.

Some seem harder on the stomach then others.

:grouphug to you and Ryan

I have heard it reported that occassionally the Pepcid will cause them to lose their appetite and thye get it back when it is stopped. If it was me I would try to stop on it and also give some super probiotics like Primal Defense and/or acidopholus Pearls. That's the regimen that has worked best for me. Good luck. I have a 14 yoa now and I know how very frustrating it is to get them to eat...something ....anything!

Poor Ryan, if it's not one thing it's another. I'd ask the vet for something stronger for his stomach.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MnMDogs

I think acidophilus was mentioned. Do you think you can get him to take that? Also, there is something made specifically for pets that comes in a small envelope that you just shake on the food which is supposed to help with some of the stomach upset associated with abx. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name...Maybe it will ring a bell with someone?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I offered him the rest of breakfast at lunch. He thought that was pretty cool and scarfed it down.

Well, you might have just solved your own problem. Meals more times a day :D

I think acidophilus was mentioned. Do you think you can get him to take that? Also, there is something made specifically for pets that comes in a small envelope that you just shake on the food which is supposed to help with some of the stomach upset associated with abx. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name...Maybe it will ring a bell with someone?

Would it be FortiFlora?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Passion hasn't wanted to eat much on her antiobiotics either. I've been feeding her the same amount a day, just more meals

Hope this is working for him

Some things that I've added that helped intice her to eat:

jack mackrel

alpo meat with gravy

baby food

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

We are stopping the antibiotics. His belly just can't take it. So we are going to stop for a few days and see if he feels better. If not, then it is something else new that he's on that is causing him belly problems. For now, no antibiotics and we'll decide in a couple of days if he gets a different one.

One of his back feet still swells up and his poop is still nasty, so not seeing any improvement with him taking it. As long as he feels better, may ask her to just give him an Rx for Doxy and do another round of that again.

What antibiotic was he on? 'Course all dogs are different but the one that seems to have least tummy impact here is Clavamox. Jeez, now you're going to tell me that was it. :lol

Best luck to Ryan.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lots of stuff gets by me on GT, Trudy, so maybe I missed it. But what condition prompted Ryan to be on cephalexin?

FWIW, sub-q B-12 injections help restore appetite in dogs whose ability to process it in the gut has been impaired by disorders in the intestine and/or have B-12 anemia.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest FullMetalFrank

I don't recall why Ryan is on cephalexin; but I thought I might mention that there is an injectible cephalosporin, Convenia, that is given in a single SQ injection. I wonder if that might be easier on his tummy? I know that the oral cephalexin makes me kind of queasy and then you get that nasty "moldy" taste starting to come up, and, well, it's yucky. Just something you might ask the vet about, I don't know much about the Convenia other than what I mentioned.

Guest Shermanator

What antibiotic was he on? 'Course all dogs are different but the one that seems to have least tummy impact here is Clavamox.

cephalexin

Sherman was the same way with cephalexin, so we had to go with augmentin. He stopped eating entirely on the cephalexin. Once he started the augmentin, he started eating again, and seemed to do a lot better overall.