Gracey Is At The Er Vet

Guest K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

I'm very worried about Gracey. :( We went out to eat dinner and we were gone for a little more than an hour. When we walked in the door, Gracey was panting very hard. I took off her muzzle (which was wet from either her panting or drinking water) and she continued to pant heavy. We tried to get her to settle down and she wouldn't.

So, DH took her to the ER vet. I'm on the phone now with him and she's got a temperature of 104 and they can't get it down. They might want to keep her overnight for fluids. Will update you guys soon.

Edited by K9Cookies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh, good thoughts for Gracie. Hopefully they find out what's causing the fever and give her what she needs. Hopefully she'll be home soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest K9Cookies

Do you guys have any ideas about what could be going on? ER Vet wasn't too worried about bloat. DH just signed the papers to keep her there overnight for treatment. :(

I'd sure want an x-ray to be sure.

How does she normally behave at the vet? All kinds of things can work up a fever -- abdominal pain (for reasons other than bloat), back pain, nervousness ......

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It could be something as simple as a virus or an infection somewhere. Once they start her on antibiotics she should be fine. Has she ever had a seizure before?

I ask because seizures can raise the temperature also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest K9Cookies

They are starting antibiotics and fluids.

I just called DH back and told him to ask (demand!) an X-ray. It's our money and we might as well make sure.

Thanks guys.

Edited to add that she's never had any problems with seizures. She didn't look out of sorts or in pain, just panting very hard with her tongue way out of her mouth. She went for the water bowl, but didn't take too much. Nothing looks out of place in the house or anything either.

Edited by K9Cookies

:goodluck that it is nothing serious....that is nerve racking to not know what is wrong.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

What in the world is going on with that girl??? She's too feisty to let a little bug get her down. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing some fluids won't take care of!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest GentleHugs

Panting is a way to help try and cool their body down and since she's running a fever of 104 - she was trying to cool down.

Anyway, one thing that comes to mind about a fever suddenly spiking like that would be tick borne diseases. Has she been tested for any? Another would be an infection somewhere....

I hope she gets better since they are going to give her fluids. She can become dehydrated very fast with a fever.

Guest K9Cookies

What in the world is going on with that girl??? She's too feisty to let a little bug get her down. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing some fluids won't take care of!!!

She is a feisty girl...the troublemaker of the family. :rolleyes: DH is home now and Gracey is at the vet's getting everything done (including an X-ray). We'll call soon for an update. They said no news is good news. One of the receptionists is the receptionist at our normal vet's office too. She'll keep an eye on Gracey for us. That is comforting to know, but it's so hard to leave them there.

Guest 3greysinPA

oh no Kristin, I am so sorry to read this... but I am praying for Gracey and sending lots of healing thoughts for her....

this might be a dumb question.. or a thought.. but .. i am just going to type outloud.. think outloud... but We, here in PA... we are having a terrrible T-storms.. and Faye is panting and breathing heavy too... she is very nervous about the storms and the thunder and lightening...

did you have severe storms there? Is it possible she is very scared? like an anxiety attack, but only in a dog?

I'm just asking because a little while ago.. Faye was doing the same thing for almost 15 minutes.. now since then.. has stopped..

but anyway.. just a thought kristin... and many hugs to you and Gracey.

Guest bigorangedog

What's her white blood cell count look like? I've had a couple hounds in the past present this way with serious infections (one from a bite wound, one from a teensy cut). Hoping for good news!