Dog Beach

I live about 10 from a great dog beach here in Central Jersey. I'd LOVE to bring Chance there, but I am very nervous about the bad things that can happen b/c his recall is not 100% yet. I use a whistle to get him to come back and most the time it works. Operative word, 'most'....not ALL the time unsure.gif Of course, I will have him leashed while there for as long as it takes, but the bigger questions is:

How long did it take you to teach recall to your grey? I've only had Chance for 9mos, so I plan on giving it another year to be sure.

Also, any tips on teaching it besides a whistle? I ask b/c Chance hears me at the dog park, but won't listen and come till HE wants to. rolleyes.gif

THX!

Where is the dog beach? I live in central New Jersey, too.

I am going to try this again. My reply keeps disappearing.

Buy a 30 foot training lead. Let him out. Call him back. If he returns, give him a treat. If he doesn't, pull him back in. Do it 20 times a day until he gets it. Don't do more than 20 or stop if he seems to tire of the play. Don't over do the game. He will get it.

We learned this when we were training Brandy and John E for CGC.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Buy a 30 foot training lead. Let him out. Call him back. If he returns, give him a treat. If he doesn't, pull him back in. Do it 20 times a day until he gets it. Don't do more than 20 or stop if he seems to tire of the play. Don't over do the game. He will get it.

OOOHHHH...that is a fabulous idea! I'm going to get the lead tomorrow! Thx! colgate.gif

Manasquan Dog Beach * if you go to the home page or whatever, just found a "Yappy Hour" in Asbury! You drink while the pooches play together in a fenced in area. Interesting! cool.gif

Guest sriddle13

OOOHHHH...that is a fabulous idea! I'm going to get the lead tomorrow! Thx! colgate.gif

Manasquan Dog Beach * if you go to the home page or whatever, just found a "Yappy Hour" in Asbury! You drink while the pooches play together in a fenced in area. Interesting! cool.gif

Also....when you call him don't face towards him. Turn in the opposite direction and jog away. Use a high pitched fun voice. It makes it like a game. When he gets to you make sure you have the best treats you can possibly give him (steak works well). And occasionally reward him by letting him play some more instead of always making him leave.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Is the beach fenced? I am just having a hard time trying to figure out how a beach can be enclosed with a fence. Did you adopt through a group? If you did adopt through a group, and the area isnt totally enclosed with a fence, you better re-read your contract about allowing your hound off-leash in an unfenced area. While there are times when off-leash in an unfenced area is relatively safe (such as lure coursing), an open beach with other dogs and such is a recipe for disaster if you ask me. In my opinion retired racing greyhounds can never be taught 100% recall, never. They can be taught a reasonable recall, but not enough for an area as populated as yours. Out west in the wide open plains, thats one thing, New Jersey shore, TOTALLY different. I would consider it very irresponsible to ever think you can train out the instinct to chase, and even more irresponsible to allow your hound off-leash in an uncontrolled environment such as a beach in NJ. JMO. By the way, I live in the suburbs of Chicago, I dont allow my hounds off-leash from the car to my house for goodness sake. I do allow one of my hounds off-leash in an unfenced area to run LGRA (straight line lure coursing), so I am not saying there is never any exception.

Chad

Is the beach fenced? I am just having a hard time trying to figure out how a beach can be enclosed with a fence. Did you adopt through a group? If you did adopt through a group, and the area isnt totally enclosed with a fence, you better re-read your contract about allowing your hound off-leash in an unfenced area. While there are times when off-leash in an unfenced area is relatively safe (such as lure coursing), an open beach with other dogs and such is a recipe for disaster if you ask me. In my opinion retired racing greyhounds can never be taught 100% recall, never. They can be taught a reasonable recall, but not enough for an area as populated as yours. Out west in the wide open plains, thats one thing, New Jersey shore, TOTALLY different. I would consider it very irresponsible to ever think you can train out the instinct to chase, and even more irresponsible to allow your hound off-leash in an uncontrolled environment such as a beach in NJ. JMO. By the way, I live in the suburbs of Chicago, I dont allow my hounds off-leash from the car to my house for goodness sake. I do allow one of my hounds off-leash in an unfenced area to run LGRA (straight line lure coursing), so I am not saying there is never any exception.

Chad

Chad I 100% agree, but I always see all these pictures of the hounds off leash...and moreover on the beach. Of course the beach isnt fenced off...is that even possible?! blink.gif I will check the adoption agreement, but I would assume 95% of the people on here have racing hounds, so I find it hard to believe that some would allow it and others wouldn't. But I'm not educated on anything about that.

With that said, I'm not truly comfortable having my grey off leash but wanted to hear other's tips/techniques and why they ARE comfortable having them free at the beach.

Just to add: this beach is not your typical "Jersey Shore" beach. Unless you've been here, do not assume they are all alike... This is a whole seperate section for ONLY dogs...in a very expensive section of Central Jersey. Like I said...just wondering how other's allow their dogs off leash. cool.gif

Total side note --- some of the pictures of off-leash hounds have been retouched to remove the leashes :) I remember some GTs talking about in a post a few months ago.

Edited by arandomchic

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I am not assuming they are all alike, but the fact is you live in one of the highest population density areas of the United States. Just think, your hound could cover 1 mile in less than 2 minutes. What is 1 mile in any direction other than east, high speed roads?

As far as recall training, my hounds are trained with a sports whistle. In fact, one morning while at the dog park, my two hounds took off after a rabbit, my wife blew the whistle and they broke from chase. Did I ever expect that in my wildest dreams, NOPE, but it happened. Would I expect it to ever happen again, NOPE. I believe it was a fluke.

Two things, pictures can be modified, lots of people photoshop out leashes in pictures to have a nicer photo, and secondly, just because everyone else with a greyhound that is breaking their contract doesnt make it right.

Total side note --- some of the pictures of off-leash hounds have been retouched to remove the leashes smile.gif I remember some GTs talking about in a post a few months ago.

NOOO! jaw.gif I had NO idea this could be done! However, many are not just photos of them standing. These are frollicking in the ocean, and many are also far away pics. I know this is a touchy topic.

I think I need to invest in photoshop!

Guest LindsaySF

Some posters on this forum do let their hounds off-leash, and the pictures you see are real. However, they are either violating their group's adoption contract, their group's adoption contract does not mention off-leash, or they did not adopt from an adoption group.

Guest Jubilee251

Or they feel like their hounds have somewhat reliable recall and it's worth the risk? Personally, I get nervous even letting Molly off-leash in a big, fenced-in area ("OMG what if she somehow escapes?"). These dogs can be so independent - he might know what "COME" means, but just decide something else is more worth his attention.

And yes, beaches can be closed off. I know the dog beach in Evanston has a pier on either side that stretches a longgggg way into the water. There's no swimming/running around it.

Guest UESBrindle

Personally, I get nervous even letting Molly off-leash in a big, fenced-in area ("OMG what if she somehow escapes?").

I get this way too in fenced in areas. I once took William to a dog run in in Virginia and it was so large that I was worried that something would happen on the other end of the run (a fight or rough play) and that something bad would happen before someone could intervene.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable taking the risk of my dog getting away or being too far away for me to help if there's a problem (and it's in our contract) .... if it's a "dog beach" there will probably be lots of other dogs, and you won't know how well socialized they are, so I think it is a matter of risk, and how comfortable you are with that given situation.

Guest mcsheltie

I don't think think you can ever say any dog is 100% reliable.

Roo has a greyt recall... or so I thought. I can call her from anywhere in the house, even from a deep sleep, and she comes running. The dog park we go to is huge. It curves around a lake. All I have to do is call her name once and she comes running from the other side. She will call off when she is after creatures in the yard or park. We also have a fenced/locked in storage facility across the street. If you have a unit there you have the combination to get in and the gate automatically shuts. We tour the place and if no one is there we let the dogs loose. They love it. Roo will come to me from anywhere, even if she can't see me.

Last night in class we were playing the recall game. Someone would hold my dog on the other side of the room and then I would call her. I called Roo, she looked me right in the eye, turned around and walked down the hall and laid down :blush So much for my greyt recall!

.... if it's a "dog beach" there will probably be lots of other dogs, and you won't know how well socialized they are, so I think it is a matter of risk, and how comfortable you are with that given situation.

I like this point. I actually have no worries w/ him in the huge dog park we have here, but i always know all the dogs, no matter how many AND their owners. Plus we walk around the 4 acres constantly. However with a dog beach you DON'T know how socialized they are, plus how responsible their owners are! Plus, many kids bring their dogs.

...plus I'm all too familiar with their choice to come or notmad.gif ! Maybe i'll just bring that 30 ft training leash or something... No matter what, I dont think the risk is worth it either.

I wish people that DO let them off leash at the beach would chime in! Contract or not, to each is own! I'm not judging, just SUPER curious! cool.gif

My friend who lives by San Diego's dog beach (not fenced) sees greys there not infrequently, but I can't give any more detail. I used to fantasize about it, but now that I know Beth I can't quite picture it. Many dogs tend to "stay where the action" is (waterside, with other dogs) but even at the dog park Beth often wanders off into the far reaches alone for part of the time. I also don't trust her with small running dogs. If she was a velcro sort of greyhound, maybe.

She understands recall when she's in a not-too-exciting place and sort of gets that we're playing the recall game (practicing it as training, usually with very good treats involved), BUT in a new and stimulating environment any thought of listening to me pretty much goes out the window, at least to date. We still work on it though. I like the idea of a whistle!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest LindsaySF
I wish people that DO let them off leash at the beach would chime in! Contract or not, to each is own! I'm not judging, just SUPER curious! cool.gif

Did you see the threads about off-leash posted here recently? I believe they were in EEG. One was "Did You Agree Not To Off-Leash Your Hound?" and I think the other was "Do You Teach Your Grey Recall"? Some of the people that let their Greys off-leash posted in there. You get to hear both sides of the argument.

About the 30 foot leash, I would not use that anywhere where you expect your Grey to get up to speed. If it wraps around his legs he could break a leg. If he hits the end of it going fast he could break his neck. Chances are you would be propelled/injured or the leash would come out of your hand, but there is still the potential for injury for the dog. I have used long leads (and Flexis) on other breeds before, but I would be very wary of using one with a Greyhound because it doesn't take much for them to reach top speed.

~Lindsay~

Did you see the threads about off-leash posted here recently? I believe they were in EEG. One was "Did You Agree Not To Off-Leash Your Hound?" and I think the other was "Do You Teach Your Grey Recall"? Some of the people that let their Greys off-leash posted in there. You get to hear both sides of the argument.

About the 30 foot leash, I would not use that anywhere where you expect your Grey to get up to speed. If it wraps around his legs he could break a leg. If he hits the end of it going fast he could break his neck. Chances are you would be propelled/injured or the leash would come out of your hand, but there is still the potential for injury for the dog. I have used long leads (and Flexis) on other breeds before, but I would be very wary of using one with a Greyhound because it doesn't take much for them to reach top speed.

~Lindsay~

110% agreed and they can reach top speed in 3 strides.

Recall? My Beau, Chloe and Teddy after 4 years when push comes to shove still have no recall. I did the clicker training and in theory it works. But "out there", never. They will go along their merry way so I am very sure that any place they can wander is enclosed.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I wish people that DO let them off leash at the beach would chime in! Contract or not, to each is own!

So the masses can yell at us and tell us how horrible we are again? Damned if I do, damned if I don't. I had many people tell me how bad an owner I was for not letting Jet off leash when I first got her. Now I have people telling me I'm a bad owner because I do. Oh well, my dog, my decision. I don't go out telling others they are horrible owners for doing what they are comfortable with.

Mine have been off leash at the beach. I do not photoshop the leash out, too lazy, they have no leash in the pic because it is usually draped over my shoulders. I watch them, constantly. Out of sight, I don't trust Jet further than I can throw her and she is more than willing to prove that. I also signed a contract saying they'd never be off leash.

I had Jet for 7 years before she was off leash without a fence. She stops listening, she goes back on the leash and Ryan and T can continue on their merry way while she is attached 6' away from me.

She knows COME and she decides when she wishes to actually listen now, so her off leash non fence time will be limited here because she doesn't listen anymore.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

We have a dog beach that is fenced... the fence goes quite far out into the water. Dogs CAN swim around it, but most do not even try.

Mine run on fenced and unfenced beaches, and we are breaking no contracts as I would never ever get a dog from anyone who intended to tell me how to care for it.

Our fenced beach- I am trying to find pics that show the fence!

094.jpg

Look behind the dog- the fence goes into the water

051-1.jpg

I've never had one of my own dogs swim out/escape, but I have seen a couple do it. No big deal, it's fairly isolated out there and it's not hard to keep the action/playing away from the fence

27778_115878461778421_1000006880373.jpg

I want to second the long leash not being a good idea.

I used to live at the beach. I was blessed with my first greyhound being the best dog ever. He was off lead at the beach all the time. The problem was he saw a greyhound out there on a very long lead and before anything could be said....the both got wound up and the dog on the lead got tangled up. It didn't do any serious damage but it could have. It was an off leash area so it was going to happen at some point with some dog wanting to play with the greyhound on lead.

I am not here to debate the on/off lead issue but sharing an experience so your dog doesn't get its legs tangled up.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest sweetpea

I've had Sweetpea 3 years.

On leash or in the house, in my parent's back-yard, at my friend's house, she's the best dog ever.

I have sound that I make that she reacts to instantly and comes to me at a run.

I'll often hear, "Wow, she is really well trained" accompanied by a sideways glance at some poor husmand

who has not managed the same feat with his own pooch.

Once we set foot in an off-leash park, she switches off. Completely off.

I could be wrapped in bacon and peanut butter, she wouldn't even notice until

she's done doing whatever it is she has decided she wants to do.

There are plenty of people who have dogs with reliable recall, I am not one of them, and you might not be either.

Good luck, be safe, don't take it personal if your dog ends up being lousy at recall, it happens.

(Even with the best dog in the whole wide world!)

Buzzy

About the 30 foot leash, I would not use that anywhere where you expect your Grey to get up to speed. If it wraps around his legs he could break a leg.

~Lindsay~

blush.gif Greyt point about the leash....DUH!!! rolleyes.gif

I will certainly check out that post...thank you.

If he won't come at the dog park, he's not going to come at the beach. He no doubt knows exactly what the whistle means and is choosing to ignore you.

I don't know if would work so much with a Greyhound, but I have always used the long line method to teach recall. Basically your dog drags a simple long leash (cotton webbing--available most places that sell any kind of training gear) around, and when you're beginning, you NEVER issue the command "come" until you have the end of that leash under your foot. You called "come" and if the dog doesn't start towards you IMMEDIATELY, you reel him in by means of the rope. The theory being that you, the issuer of the command, have some magical powers the dog can't quite figure out to make him to come to you.

Every time you give a dog a command and have no means to follow through, he's learning a little bit more that you CANNOT make him do it. So having control from a distance is key--

You'd need to start this with no distractions in a fenced area.

Do not repeat the command--issue it, reel him in, treat. Repeat. Over and over and over!

Disclaimer: I grew up with hunting dogs. This is how they were trained. My last dog was a mix. That was how HE was trained. Eventually he knew voice, whistle, and hand signals for "come." But I NEVER let him loose without his line on until he was solid.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Bang_o_rama

Some greyhounds go WILD when they hit the sand. I brought Bang to the fenced-in dog beach here in Chicago, and once she realized she had sand under her feet, she bolted off and ran around like a crazy thing. It was a hoot but damn, they are fast dogs. I decided I wasn't comfortable with the fence situation (it's really not a very secure area) so I ended up leashing her again and playing by the water with her on-leash.

Definitely something to keep in mind - your pup could be out of earshot and completely zoned out in a blink of an eye.

--Gina

Guest happygrey

My concern that I want to mention is that you really, really need to be careful about the other dogs on the beach. Go a few times without dogs and maybe with your hound on-leash and check it before even considering going off leash.

I am not going to say whether or not you should or shouldn't let your hound off-leash -- that's your decision.

Twice I've taken Tatam to a pretty well known "dog beach" (note: dogs are allowed on the beach, but the beach is not deemed "off-leash" -- people just do it) and I kept him on the leash. (Yeah, he loved that :rolleyes: ) However, BOTH times strange dogs ran up to us, barking and sometimes growling, and one even mounted Tatam. :eek The owners of these dogs (almost all non-greys, BTW -- though we did meet one off-leash grey there...but that's another story) all had virtually NO CONTROL of their dogs. They had to run up and physically intervene to prevent confrontation. It was ridiculous, infuriating and bordering on dangerous.

Needless to say, I will not take my greys (or any other dog for that matter) to that beach again. There's another beach nearby that offers a sanctioned off-leash section (we've only been to the "on-leash" section which was, you guessed it, filled with plenty of off-leash dogs :rolleyes: ) and we probably won't go there again either. IMO, it's dangerous and not worth it. Please be careful. You can take all the care in the world to teach recall and such but you really have no idea who you will meet on the beach while walking.

Edited by happygrey