Dog Beach

Guest Jubilee251

Some greyhounds go WILD when they hit the sand. I brought Bang to the fenced-in dog beach here in Chicago, and once she realized she had sand under her feet, she bolted off and ran around like a crazy thing. It was a hoot but damn, they are fast dogs. I decided I wasn't comfortable with the fence situation (it's really not a very secure area) so I ended up leashing her again and playing by the water with her on-leash.

Definitely something to keep in mind - your pup could be out of earshot and completely zoned out in a blink of an eye.

--Gina

Yup - same thing happened with Molly. Something about sand under their feet...they just go nuts. She did about three laps around the beach in about 3 seconds, and then actually ran/swam AROUND the fence and took off to catch up with some dogs on the other side. Last time I ever went there. :o

Guest Bang_o_rama

Some greyhounds go WILD when they hit the sand. I brought Bang to the fenced-in dog beach here in Chicago, and once she realized she had sand under her feet, she bolted off and ran around like a crazy thing.

Yup - same thing happened with Molly. Something about sand under their feet...they just go nuts. She did about three laps around the beach in about 3 seconds, and then actually ran/swam AROUND the fence and took off to catch up with some dogs on the other side. Last time I ever went there. :o

Oh my gosh, you must have freaked out! I don't think Bang noticed that end of the fence, thank goodness. She was dubious about the water at first so she stayed on the sand. But yeah, it's not very well fenced in on that side, I was worried about how low the fence is because of all the sand drifted up against it. It's a shame, because if the fence was more secure it would be a great place, it's so big and they do seem to have so much fun zooming around in the sand.

I can't believe Molly figured out how to get around that fence so quickly!

--Gina

Guest Jubilee251

Running ON SAND after a greyhound sprinting at full speed...it was like one of those dreams where you're running furiously and NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

Guest MyBoys

I had a friend who trained her greyhound total recall, she was going from her home to her car with her grey right next to her, the wind caught the door and slammed it closed, her grey spooked and took off and was hit by a car. I have had greyhounds for 20 years and to this day I would never allow my greys offlead unless they are in a fenced in area. It has nothing to do with how well your grey is trained, all of mine come to me when I call them, it is the breed, as well trained as you think they may be they are unpredictable so why take the chance.

Guest tinams8

If you decide to attempt off-leash, I highly recommend making sure the dog is tired when you go the first time. It's the crazy I'M FREE energy that gets them into trouble.

Also put a smelly, rare treat in your pocket, I used hot dogs cut very small. The idea is to keep them attentive to you, and not get off in their own world where recall doesn't exist.

Call the dog many times, beginning as soon as you get there when the dog is only three feet away. Treat every time and then release them. If you do ten recalls and nine end up with a return to playing, it helps prevent the negative association with recall meaning playtime is done.

My dog is a vizsla, which is a hunting breed that can run probably 35 mph, and no, the long lead method is probably not ideal. It's useful for dogs who have very little food motivation or if they just don't get it. In that case a 8' lead inside would work.

Interestingly, this is a common argument in the vizsla community too, even though off-lead is a common practice and a solid recall is not too difficult to obtain. The argument focuses more on whether dog parks are safe, and whether you should trust the other dogs not to attack your dog. Personally, I never let my dog off lead with dogs I don't know anymore because there have been SO many times when other dogs have been a problem. And I've not taken her to official dog parks, this is just on the beach or at other parks or hiking. Even if I have my dog under control and leash her immediately at the sight of another dog, I can't control the other dog.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chaoran22

is the dog beach fenced in? we have a dog beach here in chicago that's fenced in but even so, dogs have swam out far enough to get around the fence so just keep an eye on him the whole time when you're there.

recall was a MAJOR issue with us until the novelty of the beach wore off. he had wonderful recall at dog parks, home, etc. but the dog beach was like disneyland squared for him and he just couldn't concentrate enough to pay attention to us. so we would go for super short trips, and once the novelty wore off a bit, making sure we had high value treats (liver treats) he does wonderful recall. now, since we go all the time, he doesn't even need treats to come back to us but just be prepared, even if you get perfect recall with your grey, the first few visits to the dog beach might be a bit crazy!

also, with the lead idea, we tried that, and found out that it was actually pretty dangerous to have a dog on a long lead in an area like a dog beach where other dogs are running around playing. 1. it's dangerous for your dog if he tries to run around and play a lot b/c a long lead gets caught on them and other dogs. 2. even if your dog is inactive on the lead, other dogs will be very active at the beach and will get caught on your long lead and you will get yelled out by other owners, not to mention you just don't want to hurt other dogs who get caught on your lead. 3. if an aggressive dog comes after yours, he will not be able to run away (a greyhound's greatest skill and gift when it comes to getting out of tussles - run away faster than the meanie!) so in my experience with dog beaches, i actually advise against using a lead. if all the other dogs are off leash, yours should be as well.

That beach is too close to several major highways for me to chance it. There are usually several crazy off leash dogs there with owners paying no attention to them. Go check it out...it's pretty close to Brick. Your dogs can still have fun while leashed and safe.

Guest Swifthounds

Two things:

We have a dog beach that is fenced... the fence goes quite far out into the water. Dogs CAN swim around it, but most do not even try.

Mine run on fenced and unfenced beaches, and we are breaking no contracts as I would never ever get a dog from anyone who intended to tell me how to care for it.

Our fenced beach- I am trying to find pics that show the fence!

094.jpg

Look behind the dog- the fence goes into the water

051-1.jpg

I've never had one of my own dogs swim out/escape, but I have seen a couple do it. No big deal, it's fairly isolated out there and it's not hard to keep the action/playing away from the fence

27778_115878461778421_1000006880373.jpg

#1 LOVE the dog beach. And a bit jealous. Vixen would love it!

#2 Clarification for those who might use the lunge line or long line method of teaching recall and worry about the danger to a bolting hound:

What you normally do is start out with a shorter leash and work your way up to longer length. First, try a shorter leash - 4' or 6.' Let the dog relax on that, move away, and then call the dog to you. Treat, reward. When they are pretty good at that length, move on to a longer leash. The trick is to not simply put them on a long line or lunge line and send them off and call them back, risking the kind of injury that concerns so many.

No comment on the off-leash/on-leash/contract/adoption group drama - enough in previous threads.

Guest ljh777

We took London to the Outer Banks this past April... while she looved long walks on the beach, we didn't consider letting her off leash. Our house is on the 4WD beach and there isn't a lot of people traffic, but the cars are scary! She didn't like the water, so I wasn't sure what the point of her being off-leash would be except to sprint her little heart out. Hubby's a runner, so he can give her a pretty good workout as a running partner on-leash!! We did like using the long lead on the beach, though, I think she appreciated the extra yards of freedom!

My first hound was off leash in places like the beach and fairly protected parks. We just worked with him to learn that we were the source of all things wonderful (namely treats) - every single time he came up to us, whether we called him or not, he got a treat. Plus, he didn't have any desire to run "away" - he preferred to run "around." He had no prey drive and was not interested in other dogs for the most part. Our current hound has no desire to run, ever. So we don't worry about it. He stays on his leash, and he's perfectly happy that way. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~