Elsie Has A Limp And It's Nothing Serious....

Oh thank goodness!!!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigorangedog

Thank goodness for GOOD news for a change! We all need the little reminder that it isn't ALWAYS the big C. So happy that your girlie is fine!!!

:thumbs-up

Guest vahoundlover

I saw the title and my heart stopped! I am so glad Elsie should be feeling much better in a couple of days!!

Oh thank goodness!! I came on especially to check for an update. All my hopes for quick and lasting improvement!

Have you considered acupuncture for Elsie? Beth had a neck problem last summer and since many folks here recommended it and my vet does it, we gave it a try, and it did really seem to help fix it quickly.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Oh thank goodness!! I came on especially to check for an update. All my hopes for quick and lasting improvement!

Have you considered acupuncture for Elsie? Beth had a neck problem last summer and since many folks here recommended it and my vet does it, we gave it a try, and it did really seem to help fix it quickly.

Yes, when she is a little better, I will restart acupunture.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Swifthounds

So glad Elsie's ok.

A few years back, I had a racing trainer & physical therapist show me around a hound and different flexion and tests I could do with my own hands to pinpoint the source of the pain. If you have a good relationship with your vet, next time you're at the vet, you might want to ask him/her to show you a few things. I've had a few times where a dog came in with a limp or a funny gait (especially now that I have three in double digits) and I was able to use the tests to pinpoint the source of the pain. Might not save you a trip to the vet, just maybe a bit of sleep.

I don't know about everyone else, but for me, waiting for a diagnosis is the most nerve wracking part...

Just walked in the door.

Good news.

Dr. A does not feel it's cancer. He said he thinks it's her neck which has previously had some sensitivity- a couple of months ago. He manipulated and twisted her neck to the left- her head turned all the way, almost parrallel to her body, no problem. When he went to move her head to the right side, she had a very limted range of motion.

He then manipulated her right leg and there was no discomfort. He felt pretty comfortable saying, it's her neck and it just needs some time. He gave her a cordisone shot and we will start the medacam tomorrow late afternoon. Twice I asked him if he thought she needed x-rays. Twice he said no.

If there is no improvement in a week (he feels she should be fine in a few days) then we can do the x-rays.

What a load off my mind. It was hard not to "go there" even though my vet via email told me it could very well be her neck. But after going through what we went though with Polli and what I read on a day to day basis on GT, it's hard not to "go there".

Thank you all for your loving words and concern. It helps get me through the day!

You be da best.

Robin..just seeing this..I am so glad Dr. A feels it is nothing serious..I hope she continous to improve! I saw him last week for Flex...after his seizure. He is so good with the dogs. I am feeling more comfortable with him..nice to know we have two good vets! I feel like I talk to them more than i talk to my husband!

Donna- isn't he a doll? OMG- he is sooo sweet and not a bad doc either! ;)

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Great news! Hope she's feeling better soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest FullMetalFrank

Very happy news! We are also experiencing good things with my dear old Frankie; he went from limping pretty heavily on his right rear leg (which has been known to give him trouble from time to time) and then falling when my DF (and no, at this point the D did NOT stand for anything nice) didn't listen to me and let him try to jump into the Yukon like he always does... When he fell he got a TINY scrape/cut on his hock and was gushing blood and of course I panicked, and got my kit and bandaged him up right there on the driveway and Gene lifted him into the back debating if we needed the vet. We decided to get him home and take a better look, that was when I saw how little the cut was (about an eighth of an inch hole, from landing on a rock in the driveway.)

But he is a bleeder so bandaging was a must, and I rewrapped him all nice and professional; it was then that he decided he was broken and could not walk at all. Limping on one leg and the other suddenly an alien thing he did not know how to use. So I was going to cancel Chelsa's coursing meet; but next morning he was moving OK and there were at least 2 vets at the meet, so we went and he did fine, lounging like a prince on his bed in the travel trailer. I took him out a few times to stroll around and visit. Still a slight limp but better; more a clumsiness like what would be caused by a neurological issue.

So we got home and more improvement; now he is jumping up for treats and trotting to the door just like usual. Where we are now is a holding pattern; I want to get him to his vet the next couple of weeks for some xrays of his lumbosacral area and see what is going on there, if anything. Then, debate how to treat. He is 10.5 and sadly he has aged a lot this last year. I used to think he would be one of those guys who would still be spry and mischevious at 15. Now I am looking at what could be reality, that 11 or 12 might be a more realistic goal and that is just too damn soon... :(

Oh geez Robin, I am sorry I totally went off topic on your post; I just have been going thru some parallel stuff with my Frank and I was so happy to see your good news; I guess my news is not so bad, either, from where we were a week ago. I'll be keeping your beautiful girl in my prayers! :hope

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Very happy news! We are also experiencing good things with my dear old Frankie; he went from limping pretty heavily on his right rear leg (which has been known to give him trouble from time to time) and then falling when my DF (and no, at this point the D did NOT stand for anything nice) didn't listen to me and let him try to jump into the Yukon like he always does... When he fell he got a TINY scrape/cut on his hock and was gushing blood and of course I panicked, and got my kit and bandaged him up right there on the driveway and Gene lifted him into the back debating if we needed the vet. We decided to get him home and take a better look, that was when I saw how little the cut was (about an eighth of an inch hole, from landing on a rock in the driveway.)

But he is a bleeder so bandaging was a must, and I rewrapped him all nice and professional; it was then that he decided he was broken and could not walk at all. Limping on one leg and the other suddenly an alien thing he did not know how to use. So I was going to cancel Chelsa's coursing meet; but next morning he was moving OK and there were at least 2 vets at the meet, so we went and he did fine, lounging like a prince on his bed in the travel trailer. I took him out a few times to stroll around and visit. Still a slight limp but better; more a clumsiness like what would be caused by a neurological issue.

So we got home and more improvement; now he is jumping up for treats and trotting to the door just like usual. Where we are now is a holding pattern; I want to get him to his vet the next couple of weeks for some xrays of his lumbosacral area and see what is going on there, if anything. Then, debate how to treat. He is 10.5 and sadly he has aged a lot this last year. I used to think he would be one of those guys who would still be spry and mischevious at 15. Now I am looking at what could be reality, that 11 or 12 might be a more realistic goal and that is just too damn soon... :(

Oh geez Robin, I am sorry I totally went off topic on your post; I just have been going thru some parallel stuff with my Frank and I was so happy to see your good news; I guess my news is not so bad, either, from where we were a week ago. I'll be keeping your beautiful girl in my prayers! :hope

Never off topic if it's good news pertaining to a health issue! Thrilled to hear that Frankie is OK too!

Today, out of nowhere, Ollie (3 years old) is holding his right leg up and it was his back right that was broken! He'll be fine too. This one, I will wait it out!!!!!

Guest IrskasMom

Robin , awww there is always something! I am really reliefed Elsie is doing fine.I am wishing you,Husband ( How is he doing??? ) and your Crew a great Memorial Weekend . :colgate:colgate:colgate

Robin , awww there is always something! I am really reliefed Elsie is doing fine.I am wishing you,Husband ( How is he doing??? ) and your Crew a great Memorial Weekend . :colgate:colgate:colgate

thanks. We are all OK. Rich finished his cyberknife 2.5 weeks ago. All done!