Flea And Tick Stuff

I don't really like frontline - or anything that you goop on between their shoulder blades.

But we are no longer in the land of no fleas/ticks, so back to the flea tick stuff we go.

We picked up a bottle of Adams flea/tick mist and sprayed them down. I kept hunting for info about how long between applications and found none until last night that said every 9 days.

I reapplied yesterday as I saw a flea and flea dirt on Ryan (he's easy to spot stuff on). We were probably around 10 days or so since we first applied it.

What are our flea/tick options, besides frontline, for the dogs that work in heavy flea/tick areas?

Frontline.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

We apply the Adams every seven days without problems. Actually, just did!

I live in a heavily wooded area, and it has been HUMID here, ... no fleas.

If you dont' want the spot on products, there is Sentinel, which is for heartworm and parasite control, it also contains Program, which will make all the fleas in your area STERILE. I used it in Florida with GREAT success, but it takes a while to kick in.

In the meantime, inbetween your Adams days, you CAN give Capstar, which will kill all the fleas on your dogs.

Good Luck! My friend in Florida has LITERALLY TRIED EVERYTHING, including Comfortis, ...NOPE! She just bathes them every two weeks, and hopes.

Welcome to the crappy south! sad.gif

Edited by Energy11

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I know you said you didn't want Frontline but they do have a Frontline spray that works.

The stuff between the shoulder blades, Top Spot by Frontline, I don't like at all.

But the spray, it's good stuff :D and the big bottle can normally get 3 dogs done or close to it.

Oh and it last a lot longer then it says. I only apply it maybe once possible twice a year and that's it

Edited by GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest Energy11

Vectra is a newer (more effective, for the moment) spot treatment available only through vets. I also am trying a garlic supplement--maybe I can't completely lose the vectra, but I am trying to use it as little as humanly possible give that 8 dogs and 3 cats live here. . . .

http://www.springtim..._chewables/dogs

My former vet/employer in Florida said to stay away from Vectra. They all have different opinions about it.

I know you said you didn't want Frontline but they do have a Frontline spray that works.

The stuff between the shoulder blades, Top Spot by Frontline, I don't like at all.

But the spray, it's good stuff biggrin.gif and the big bottle can normally get 3 dogs done or close to it.

Oh and it last a lot longer then it says. I only apply it maybe once possible twice a year and that's it

I, too have heard good things about Frontline Spray. I've never used it, but your clients at the vet in Florida seemed to like it. Basically, I think the fleas are getting "resistant" to a lot of these products :-(

Guest kydie

Everyone has their own thoughts here, and since GT I have weighted up the info here more than once, but I just can't do

it, I live in the land of fleas and ticks, lots of ticks, for me it is not worth TBD, happened here once, and will never again happen, I use K9 Advantix and have since it's conception, with no

problems, all my pups lived well into the double digits, and never had any medical conditions related to inscetisides, for me chemicals are chemicals are chemicals,,,, Just me Good Luck with this tough decision :)

Guest Energy11

Everyone has their own thoughts here, and since GT I have weighted up the info here more than once, but I just can't do

it, I live in the land of fleas and ticks, lots of ticks, for me it is not worth TBD, happened here once, and will never again happen, I use K9 Advantix and have since it's conception, with no

problems, all my pups lived well into the double digits, and never had any medical conditions related to inscetisides, for me chemicals are chemicals are chemicals,,,, Just me Good Luck with this tough decision smile.gif

This was another product that sold well at the Florida vets. As you say, everyone has their own ideas on flea/tick protection. AND, you have to trust your vet as well.

I'm coming from a no tick, no fleas area too.

I finally broke down and got the Frontline Plus but haven't had the nerve to use it yet.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

I finally broke down and got the Frontline Plus but haven't had the nerve to use it yet.

I DID use it for years in Florida, but then, I started using the Sentinel, which made "my" fleas sterile, and then, I didn't need the Frontline.

It is a good product, and I never had any problems. I just couldn't afford it any longer without my vet discounts, and I have been VERY happy with the good 'ole Adams.

Believe it or not, we've had a few ticks on us, the bedding, etc. UGH!!! BUT, not the dogs!

Edited by Energy11

Guest BooBooMama

I would go ahead and do it now. You actually should start in April- before the flea and tick season starts- but you have had a cold and snowy spring so it is OK. You do NOT want deer ticks on your pooches!

Guest Energy11

has anyone ever used biospot? I was told that it was safe for greyhounds.

That is on the list of "no nos" from what I was told, up there, along with Seagents and Hartz.

I would go ahead and do it now. You actually should start in April- before the flea and tick season starts- but you have had a cold and snowy spring so it is OK. You do NOT want deer ticks on your pooches!

From what I've been told, there are no deer ticks here where I'm living, however, I don't want any kind of those things on my dogs. :rolleyes:

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TeddysMom

I give Confortis to the GHs because of Spice's flea allergies. I buy the large and break them in half, give it to them once a month and spray with Adams every weekend. I am so happy not to be in the south anymore but I'm sure you will love it after living in Alaska. :lol

Guest eaglflyt

has anyone ever used biospot? I was told that it was safe for greyhounds.

I would definitely stay away from BioSpot. It has been under investigation and has caused way too many severe reactions, even death. Seizures, skin burns, nausea & vomiting, neurological impairment, and death have been reported. It is especially harsh for any hounds.

Guest LindsaySF

I use Frontline. One thing that can help to prevent gross/sticky stuff on the fur is to part the fur waaay down, an extra set of hands/fingers helps, and release the Frontline very slowly from the applicator. You want the skin to absorb the Frontline as it comes out. If you do it slowly enough there shouldn't be too much left over stuff to stick to their fur.

The rate at which the skin absorbs the Frontline differs for every dog. Aidan's skin I swear sucks it up like a wick, it's really weird. :lol He never has any residue left. Teagan is on the other end of the spectrum, I have to apply it super slowly and in several spots between his shoulders. His skin doesn't absorb it very well at all. A day after applying it, I wipe his fur with a damp paper towel to clean off any remaining residue.

~Lindsay~

Guest Energy11

I'll just mention it here, that our 2 had problems with K9 Advantix but have not had any issues with Frontline. The Adavantix actually made them sick, diarrhea, so we stick with the Frontline.

Ya know, this is such a "crap shoot." Just people, what is ok for some, isn't for others. ... To a degree, it is a trail and error process, I think.

Exactly. We use Comfortis for Opie after a massive flea infestation 3 months back (picked it up from boarding, I suspect). I don't it works for ticks, just fleas, but we don't have a tick problem here so this is fine for us. I like it also cuz there is no goo to put on the dog, you can wash the dog without washing off any stuff (just dead fleas). I also have the Adams spray for our bedding and carpets.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest TeddysMom

I forgot to mention that I use Diatomatous Earth (food quality) sprinkled on all the dog beds, furniture and our beds to keep the fleas and ticks away. It is so fine that you can't feel it on your sheets but it sure does the job. Since I have so many dogs sleeping in my bedroom, I sprinkle it all around the baseboards and under the bed too. You can use it on the dogs but it does make them feel less silky. With Spice and her allergies, I would rather her feel a little dry rather then have the horribly red irritated skin.

Guest TBSFlame

Frontline is just not working here anymore. I have gone back to advantage but only use it during the worse times during the summer months. I used frontline spray until this year and have gone to Adams spray. I also flea comb my pack twice a day. Flea combing them is the only way I can keep a handle on the fleas. Thanks goodness we don't seem to have ticks and I am not sure why.