Flea And Tick Stuff

Guest TeddysMom

I've heard of other people who use Diatomatous Earth with success. How often do you reapply it?

I reapply when I wash the bedding, about once a week and when I move the crates and vaccumn. So far I haven't seen any fleas and only a few little ticks that have not been attached. On Spice, I sprinkle her every 3-4 days because I brush her really good everynight so I figure I brush some of it off. It is great stuff, maybe someday I will be able to stop using the Comfortis but I don't want her skin to ever look like it did when she arrived from FL again.

Guest budsmom

I swear by Frontline, but I live in deer tick central. If fleas aren't an issue, I believe that FL kills ticks for 60 days, so you can stretch out how often you apply it. I only use during warm weather to try and keep the chemical stuff to a minimum. After talking with my vet, though, I really can't justify not using anything. We have Lyme's in almost epidemic proprotions here, and I just don't want to risk that. I use Interceptor for heartworm, we're also mosquito central so can't go without that either.

Guest Energy11

Where do you get Frontline Spray? I'm guessing from the Vet but I've never seen it at the vet's office.

You should be able to get Frontline Spray at the vets OR online, anywhere they see regular Frontline! Good Luck

Guest eaglflyt

This past week we have used Frontline Plus on Ady Bea, Vectra on our Aussie by our groomer when he got his summer haircut, Comfortis for the 3 little Dachsies, and Vectra on our 3 cats. Next month the plan is Frontline Plus for everyone again. My order of Frontline Plus was ordered too late for this month, thus the combo above. We've never had issues with Frontline Plus, thankfully! I am considering rotating flea & tick meds. in an effort to hold off flea resistance to the meds.

Guest isntitgreyt

Where do you get Frontline Spray? I'm guessing from the Vet but I've never seen it at the vet's office.

You should be able to get Frontline Spray at the vets OR online, anywhere they see regular Frontline! Good Luck

Thank you. I'm going to give it a try!

I know you don't like the stuff that goes between their shoulders. I use Advantage, I buy the one for weight over 55 lbs. and split a tube between both dogs, they are 63 lbs. and 75 lbs. that way they aren't getting it full strength. I have been doing this for years and have never seen a flea smile.gif

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest snakes

No experience with fleas, but we have tons of ticks here. I have started using Ectopamine spray on my two which is made of all natural ingredients ona recommendation by my vet. It appears to work well but some dogs (or people) can be put off the strong clove scent it has! I just liek havinga pesticide free treatment and it cna be used in conjunction with other meds.

My mom used to give garlic tabs to her dog, never had fleas, although she could have gotten lucky.

Caveat: I don't do this because I wonder about safety, given dogs' issues with things like onion and garlic so definitly ask your vet.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

omahavaccine.com usually carries the spray. It isn't cheap and they can't air ship it, but you get a lot in a bottle.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

Good luck, Trudy. The South is an absolutely terrible place for fleas (and ticks, depending on your exact location). Frontline does not work for us here in SC, but it's worth a try if you have some on hand. We've moved over to Comfortis and it works great for now. I've also had good luck with Advantage. Ticks don't seem to be a problem for us (knock wood), so we don't proactively treat for those. Frontline works best if the dog hasn't been bathed in a while.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Energy11

Good luck, Trudy. The South is an absolutely terrible place for fleas (and ticks, depending on your exact location). Frontline does not work for us here in SC, but it's worth a try if you have some on hand. We've moved over to Comfortis and it works great for now. I've also had good luck with Advantage. Ticks don't seem to be a problem for us (knock wood), so we don't proactively treat for those. Frontline works best if the dog hasn't been bathed in a while.

THAT is the TRUTH! Even though we have NO fleas up here, and a few ticks, my friend in Central Florida is about to burn her house and yard, due to the FLEAS! She's tried literally EVERYTHING, including Comfortis, which I think, has finally started working for her.

This flea and tick medication issue is largely trial and error, for the most part. What works for some, doesn't work for others, etc. Hopefully, once you find something that DOES work, it willl continue doing so. When WE lived in Florida, I finally broke down and started using Sentinel, which is a heartworm and parasite preventative, AND one of the ingredients, Program, makes the fleas in your area, sterile. NO flea problems in Florida after that.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm going with the Adams isn't working here. Tick removal tonight on Jet and Tavarish.

I'll be digging out the frontline this weekend and looking for the spray to give that a try.

I have a bottle of the Frontline spray that I can give you. It's about 3/4 full.

I'm also placing an order for more of the spray and it's cheaper then at the Omahvacc place.

If you want me to order you a bottle or 2 let me know :)

500ml and that normally can cover 3 hounds.

Guest eaglflyt

We're now rotating products for fleas/ticks in an attempt to keep the buggers from becoming resistant. I'm not sure this is recommended by vets, but we have always rotated our horse dewormers as recommended by our equine vet. It prevents worms from becoming product resistant ... at least not as quickly.

I'd use Fleabusters in the house and vehicle for fleas. If fleas were a huge problem I'd give them Sentinel too, which would be their heartworm medicine too. (It's pricey, I hear but it does a lot.) For ticks, I'd rather use a spray on the dogs, like Frontline or Adam's. We have a blood donor dog and the vet wants him on Frontline Plus between the shoulders and a heartworm med, both which he provides. It's OK now that he showed me how to put it on w/o making a mess. :blush

Fleabusters has nematodes to treat the yard too. Interesting stuff. The inside stuff is also less toxic than the long-used boric acid treatments.

Any suggestions on flea combs and tick removers? I was amazed that I didn't find flea combs in a few places I was at today (and forgot to look while I was at Petsmart).

Dogs will get baths tonight and then I'll try out the Frontline spray Heather brought over for us to try. (Thanks Heather!!)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Just give it a day or so after the bath to spray them down with the Frontline :)

Works better if you give it that day.

Also start out spraying a ring around their necks and work your way back and down the dogs.

That way any bugs are trapped from running forward up on the head or ears ;)

I didn't see a tack shop around where you guys are but didn't you say you have a Tractor Supply?

They should have flea combs

Feed stores closer than TS, so I'll check them first and if not, then I'll stop by Tractor Supply.

Guess if the dogs are getting a bath tonight, I should start on that. Figured I'd frontline Ryan on Wednesday since he'll be first in the tub.

Guest mcsheltie

I'd use Fleabusters in the house and vehicle for fleas. If fleas were a huge problem I'd give them Sentinel too, which would be their heartworm medicine too. (It's pricey, I hear but it does a lot.) For ticks, I'd rather use a spray on the dogs, like Frontline or Adam's. We have a blood donor dog and the vet wants him on Frontline Plus between the shoulders and a heartworm med, both which he provides. It's OK now that he showed me how to put it on w/o making a mess. :blush

Fleabusters has nematodes to treat the yard too. Interesting stuff. The inside stuff is also less toxic than the long-used boric acid treatments.

I've used their nematodes for a couple years now. I highly recommend them. I got the first batch in the middle of a REALLY bad infestation. And they were gone from the yard within two weeks. Better kill rate than most insecticides. If it doesn't rain you need to water your lawn so they don't die. But you don't have to soak the ground. Just give the nematodes a drink.

I finally figured out the fleas were coming in on the squirrels. They run the overhead wires back and forth over the dogs all day. Now I put out nematodes as soon as the weather gets warm enough for them and I have had no problems in the house anymore.