Advice Needed

Guest bonniesbullet

Guest bonniesbullet

My 12 year old grey, Bullet and I have been doing Meet & Greets since I first adopted him 8 years ago. He has never had bad behavior to any adult or child.

Last weekend, my husband and I were at a friend's house, where he snapped at their 8 year old daughter. He got her in the face with some scratches--nothing major, but still very concerning. Some background and details---he snapped at this little girl previously when she got in his face and was bothering him--definitley justified at that time--even the parent agreed. In this most recent instance, my husband and I and her mother were present and we did not notice any instigation on her part. In fact we were trying to make sure that the child was interacting appropriately with him..etc However, he was in his bed and she was sitting beside him on the floor petting him, her face was close to his but I would not necessarily say she was "in his face". He snapped at her with no warning/growl. In hind sight, we should have not allowed that considering there was a previous incident, but I thought if she was acting appropriately all would be okay.

Here is my concern--do I continue to take him to Meet and Greets after these incidents? He has worked my school carnival 2 years in row with kids all over him and no incidents, as well as other M & G's with kids around and no incidents. Is it possible that it's just this particular child? I don't want him to pick up on any nervousness that I may have. Just need some advice on what ya'll would do or think?

Thanks!!

I remember another greyhound that did fine around all the other kids. But one visiting child just seemed to set this dog off. The more he sensed she was afraid of him, the more he pushed things. Unfortunately that ended up with the dog being returned to the group after skin-breaking nip. (He's since been re-homed and is fine.) The child never did anything to provoke him. Other kids could hang all over him.

I would be afraid of a liability issue if he snapped at a M&G when you know he's had an incident. Certainly not fair to Bullet after being a good boy for so long.

How is Bullet's health otherwise? Any other subtle changes medically or behaviorally?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wouldn't take him to meet and greet with kids and if you do, no petting just looking. Otherwise, this could be an accident waiting to happen. I'd also take him for a full senior panel to rule out anything medical.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

he was in his bed and she was sitting beside him on the floor petting him, her face was close to his

Remember "Let sleeping dogs lie"? Here I don't allow children (or most adults, for that matter) to interact with the dog when the dog is lying down. I know he's 12 and probably not into standing up for long periods of time, but once he lies down he should be left alone.

Nothing to do with meets & greets -- if he likes going and generally behaves well, I don't see a problem. Note, tho, I don't let anybody get in my dogs' faces, so I'm assuming no face-to-face hugging, no petting the dog while the dog is lying down, etc.

Hope little girl is OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sheila

thinking from the dogs POV.

Here's this kid who got in my face a while back and scared me. Now she's back and while she's not in my face YET, she is getting awfully close and making me nervous. I don't know quite what she is going to do next. Hmmmmm....I'd better warn her again. I really like ppl but for some reason this person spooks me. I'm hoping that before she does this again she will have some cookies in her hand and will give them to me while giving me my space. It would be even better it she didn't come and sit next to me while I'm on my bed and instead just offered me the cookie for me to come and get. I would like that so much better than having my space invaded.

It seems to me that dogs often get less tolerant as they age, must like people.

I would NOT take this dog to meet & greet events; why even risk it? Surely there are other dogs that can go to represent?

Apparently he doesn't like this child. I would not let her near him again. Dogs do take a dislike to certain people just like we do. There must be something about her that annoys him. I'd also, as a rule, keep children away just because. In this litigious world in which we live, why would you set him up for potential failure, knowing as you do now that he CAN be snappish?

I'm sure he's a GREAT dog. Just not worth the potential problems.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Bang_o_rama

We have noticed that Bang has an amazing memory for things that have ever scared her. I once had the front door bounce off my foot and bop her in the head as we exited; this earned a GSOD, of course, but she then balked at going through that door for days afterward, and gave it the stink-eye for weeks. That particular child might not even have done anything that we would recognize as aggressive or scary, but it was so in HoundWorld and The Hound Remembers....

~D~

Guest bonniesbullet

Thank you all for your replies! Basically, I needed confirmation of what I already knew. Considering his age and these two incidents, it is probably best to retire him from M & G's. It's just not worth it. I hate it b/c it's something I love to do with him and he seems to enjoy it, but he has been slowing down and the time we can spend is less due to his age. Thanks again for your help!

I think it's an issue with this particular kid, not all kids... especially since you say he has always gone to M&G and liked kids.... while I also agree that he could be changing as he ages... I think it seems to be related to this child, and not all-children.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest LindsaySF

Does he enjoy meet & greets or does he look stressed at them? Do you have an ex-pen for him, or just a bed out in the open? Does he stand the whole time or eventually lay down? All things to consider about whether or not he should continue to attend.

I do meet & greets almost every single weekend. My dogs love to go to them. They are all fine with people and kids when they are standing. Honey, Heidi, and Sophie have no space issues at all. Teagan and Rogan have some space and sleep aggression issues. People are allowed to pet Teagan and Rogan when they are standing ONLY. We do meet & greets with an ex-pen and the dogs tend to stand a lot in the beginning to get petted. Once they get tired or bored with it, they lay down. Once they are laying down it is a no petting zone. If someone comes to our area and they really want to pet one of the dogs, especially if it's a child, I make the dog stand up and go to the side of the pen so the person can reach them. (Sometimes the dogs get up, sometimes not, I try :P).

I have seen some Greyhound meet & greets where the dogs are laying on beds or blankets out in the open, and they let people (and kids) pet the dogs, they let other dogs walk right up to them, etc. While some (or maybe even most?) Greyhounds might be fine with that, it's an accident waiting to happen IMO. The ex-pen offers a certain level of security for me to feel comfortable. I won't bring Teagan or Rogan to a meet & greet if we don't have an ex-pen, because I can't guarantee that they won't lay down at some point.

Good luck in your decision.

~Lindsay~

Guest bonniesbullet

It's funny that you bring up the standing/laying down issue. Both times, he was lying down and I think as long as he is standing, he would be fine. Never thought about the x-pen idea. Our M & G's are open with dog blankets and beds everywhere with everyone having free reign. He usually stands for the majority of our time there, but will lay down eventually most times. We are going to Mtn Hounds in a few weeks where I am going to have an animal communicator talk to him to see if I can get more insight. My gut is that it's this one child, but since I don't know for sure, I would be nervous about it. Which then, in turn could lead to another incident b/c he's picking up on my anxiety.

Guest TBSFlame

It's funny that you bring up the standing/laying down issue. Both times, he was lying down and I think as long as he is standing, he would be fine. Never thought about the x-pen idea. Our M & G's are open with dog blankets and beds everywhere with everyone having free reign. He usually stands for the majority of our time there, but will lay down eventually most times. We are going to Mtn Hounds in a few weeks where I am going to have an animal communicator talk to him to see if I can get more insight. My gut is that it's this one child, but since I don't know for sure, I would be nervous about it. Which then, in turn could lead to another incident b/c he's picking up on my anxiety.

Bonnie, when you have him out at an event or M&G and someone is petting him place your hand by the side of his face and allow the petting on the neck area. I would keep kids out/off of his face. He is 12 and slowing down but I believe it is this one child that he doesn't like. I would never allow this kid near him again. I think an x-pen is a great idea. Bullet is such a sweetie.

Guest dragontearz

Guinness has gotten to be a bit touchier as he's gotten older (will be eleven soon) but has always tolerated children well- I think it's a combination of the child being so close to his face WHILE he is on his bed-it would be like a friend visiting, but coming in the middle of the night to pounce on me and the wife while we sleep-his bed is his safe zone, his own space and while on it the child basically intruded into it, and he responded with his distaste... I still periodically do meet and greets with Guinness, but my friends kids know when we visit that Guinness on his bed is to be left alone, especially when he's laying down.

Guest Whistle

I do not allow my 4-year-old daughter to touch any hound while they are on their bed - not ever. They will come and lie down by her if she is playing in the floor, and that is different. While on their bed in their "safe spot" they shouldn't have to worry about unwanted affection or someone being in their face when they don't want them to.

As far as M&G goes, I would say it depends on how well you know your hound. When children approach, I definitely wouldn't let them "hug" him, hang on him, or pet is face or head. Ask them to pet his back and show them how to gently stroke it. Make sure to give your boy praise too when he has a positive interaction with a child.

Guest lynne893

I would not bring him to these peoples' home anymore, nor would I allow the little girl to be near him ever, or him near her, ever.

I was bit on the face by a dog when I was about that age and the dog had to be put down.

It's not worth the risk.

I would suggest stepping outside the situation and looking at it like an "animal control person" would. You have a dog that has been aggressive twice with a child and at one of those times damaged a child's face. There may be valid reasons for the aggression but, statistically the possibility of a negative outcome at a M&G has been increased.

Guest burgerandfrey

Thank you all for your replies! Basically, I needed confirmation of what I already knew. Considering his age and these two incidents, it is probably best to retire him from M & G's. It's just not worth it. I hate it b/c it's something I love to do with him and he seems to enjoy it, but he has been slowing down and the time we can spend is less due to his age. Thanks again for your help!

Our previous grey got a little less tolerant in her senior years. She still loved people, but got impatient with other dogs... especially small dogs who would get in her face. She didn't much care for crowds in general... whether made up of people, dogs, or both. She enjoyed long walks in the park, and she even enjoyed stopping to greet other dogs and people. She just didn't want to stand around in a crowd of either one. So instead of M&G's, try walking him in parks where he can meet other dogs and people briefly, and watch his body language. He may not like that either, but he might love it. Even though our previous grey was a cranky old girl in her later years, she occasionally met other dogs that she just adored for whatever reason... and she would get very excited every time she saw them.

Our current greys are a 3 year old female named Lola and a 6 year old male named Zeke. Lola has a high degree of tolerance for handling by kids and people, as well as other dogs getting into her face and other areas. Zeke is actually more social in some ways, and will even lean on strangers to get some petting... but he does have some boundaries. He likes to greet other dogs, but not for extended periods... especially if those other dogs are acting hyper and getting in his face. Sometimes he will be all waggy and happy when he greets another dog, but after a minute or so if the other dog is too spastic he will stiffen up and that's our sign to move on before he decides to snap. Fortunately, the few times he has snapped, it was a warning snap and he has never drawn blood or repeatedly gone after another dog or person.

At home Zeke seems relaxed and secure these days, but when we first got him he did not like anyone to approach his bed. He has come a long way since we adopted him last Summer and I will not hesitate to stop by his bed for a brief interaction (when he is awake), but I mainly do this to get him used to it and I don't linger. We like to let Zeke have the dog bed as his personal space, and let him come to us if he wants to. We have warned my young nieces that she should never approach either dog while they are on their beds. It was difficult for them to understand at first, because they used to sit with our previous grey all the time. They could do the same with Lola, but it's easier to remember the same rules for both dogs and sometimes you don't know if the dogs would just rather be napping anyway.

Sean

Guest littlesyd85

he was in his bed and she was sitting beside him on the floor petting him, her face was close to his

Remember "Let sleeping dogs lie"? Here I don't allow children (or most adults, for that matter) to interact with the dog when the dog is lying down. I know he's 12 and probably not into standing up for long periods of time, but once he lies down he should be left alone.

Nothing to do with meets & greets -- if he likes going and generally behaves well, I don't see a problem. Note, tho, I don't let anybody get in my dogs' faces, so I'm assuming no face-to-face hugging, no petting the dog while the dog is lying down, etc.

Hope little girl is OK.

I agree 100% with Batmom on this one! I think the fact that he was on his on bed may have had some to do with it too. If he hasn't ever done anything wrong at meet & greets I think that he would be fine. You definitely have more control at a meet & greet too because he is on a leash by your side. But if you feel better about "retiring" him from meet & greets than do it. You always have to do what you are comfortable with. Remember, if you aren't comfortable, the dog senses that. That doesn't make a fun experience for you or your hound. Good luck!