Tuna

Thanks again. The sandbox pictures were taken the week before last, when I opened up the sandbox for the season (had to evict the snakes and add fresh sand first!). She was sooooo happy to have her sandbox back after the long, cold winter.

My vet does not do house calls, and he is about 1/2 hour away, but I have talked with him about the possibility of coming to my house when it's time to let her go. He did not say yes or no yet, will wait and see how things ... end up.

She looks so sweet and content in her sandbox. I live in Montgomery County, Maryland and if you need a break, I would to be able to help you out. You can PM if you wish.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest jerrybird

I too had an old dog that was doing poorly. And then a sick lad that was a strict medication protocols for almost two years. We had the vet come to the house for both lads. Looking back on it now, I probably let one go too soon, and kept the second for a day too late. Sometimes, no matter what you do, it just doesn't sit well. I send you and Tuna a gentle hug.

:bighug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest TeddysMom

I'm just very sad that you are facing this, I know it can become pretty overwhelming. Hugs to Tuna, she is a beauty, and prayers for you both.

Guest LindsaySF

Taking care of an older or special needs dog is very stressful. For that I give you a :grouphug

She does look happy in her sandbox. :)

I wouldn't let the night-time peeing freak you out too much. Sophie (age 3) has some incontinence issues too, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She just gets up and wanders away like it didn't even happen. rolleyes.giflol.gif I would look for other signs that Tuna is not happy. Refusal to eat, signs that she is in pain, not wanting to get up to go outside to potty (or lay in her sandbox). Good luck.

~Lindsay~

This is exactly what I went through with Simon and Isabella, right down to the knuckling, incontinence, emaciated even though they ate fine, getting physically stuck in odd predicaments...I truly do understand and empathize. Job loss notwithstanding, it's nice that you can be home with her. I know it doesn't seem like it now but you will look back at this time through a soft lens and you'll be glad that you got to spend the time with her before she passed. It's the natural completion of the cycle, and a kind of closure that people who lose their dogs young to illness or injury never get.

Simon was 14.5 when he went down for the last time, which also coincided with his refusing to eat. I always figured when he couldn't get up or wouldn't eat then that was the end, and he did me a favor and stopped doing both so there was no doubt. Isabella went down at 15.5 and I made the mistake of keeping her around for two weeks because I was waiting for her to give me a sign that she was done (it never came). I hope Tuna gives you a clear sign.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Sarah... hugsmile2.gif

Everything you described could have come from my own heart, and my own experience. I know too well how frightening it can be when you're the only one there for the hounds. We feel so vulnerable and alone at times. And there's the ever-present worry about how we'll be able to manage if something happens and we have to move one of our pups quickly.

First, let me say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tuna, and am thinking of driving down right now to dognap her. :) Looking at that loving, gentle face, I don't see a dog who's lost her dignity. I see a beautiful face of a dog who's come to adapt to her limitations, and still gets enjoyment from eating, lying in the sun, and standing (even if only for a few moments) to eat her supper. These old ladies really are stubborn, aren't they? But this is what preserves their dignity. When she no longer wants to battle her handicaps, you'll see it in her eyes.

Is it possible to create a bolster around the bed so she doesn't slip out? You can even prop up a bunch of pillow, and that should work fine. Do you use the washable incontinence pads? That would keep her bedding dry, and she might also use the pads if one or two are left on the floor. I'm happy to send some down to you, if you'd like.

I was told about a vet in the Wilmington area who makes housecalls (or who is a mobile vet). If you want more info, I'll get it for you. It would be much easier for you to have someone who will come to you, especially when you know it's time for Tuna to make her journey.

Please PM or call me if I can do anything at all... smiley-hug005.gif

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Sweet Tuna. :wub:

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sarah, I don't have anything constructive to add, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you. You know what I just went through with Riley, and the whole time I was thinking it would have been so much easier if he was showing signs of going downhill, but the reality is no matter what, making that decision sucks. I hope your vet is able to come to your house when the time comes. I too wish I lived closer so I could physically help, but we are all here for emotional support. I've always loved Tuna, her name is my favorite greyhound name ever. :grouphug

Tuna is very beautiful. She looks so relaxed and warm in her sandbox.

We had a very large collie who started going down hill at 12-1/2. We took him to the vet for an exam and for an opinion, on what we should do. The vet said his heart was strong and he wasn't ready, but in retrospect, I think he was almost ready.

Six months later, he tripped in the flower beds and couldn't get up. We brought him back in the house and he didn't move for a day. I think we kept him until he no longer had his dignity. You will know; you will see it in her eyes. That will be your signal. It was ours. I can still see him stuck in the flowers; his eyes were begging.

G-d bless. We are all here for you and Tuna.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest lynne893

Tuna is so precious!

Just wanted to send support and hugs to you and Tuna. You will do right by her, as you always have, clearly.

She is loved and happy in her heart.

I'm sorry this is so hard on you and Tuna. You don't have to do this alone you know. Would it help to have an evening off? DH and I could come over one night and hang out with the dogs while you get out.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Sarah... hugsmile2.gif

Everything you described could have come from my own heart, and my own experience. I know too well how frightening it can be when you're the only one there for the hounds. We feel so vulnerable and alone at times. And there's the ever-present worry about how we'll be able to manage if something happens and we have to move one of our pups quickly.

First, let me say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tuna, and am thinking of driving down right now to dognap her. :) Looking at that loving, gentle face, I don't see a dog who's lost her dignity. I see a beautiful face of a dog who's come to adapt to her limitations, and still gets enjoyment from eating, lying in the sun, and standing (even if only for a few moments) to eat her supper. These old ladies really are stubborn, aren't they? But this is what preserves their dignity. When she no longer wants to battle her handicaps, you'll see it in her eyes.

Is it possible to create a bolster around the bed so she doesn't slip out? You can even prop up a bunch of pillow, and that should work fine. Do you use the washable incontinence pads? That would keep her bedding dry, and she might also use the pads if one or two are left on the floor. I'm happy to send some down to you, if you'd like.

I was told about a vet in the Wilmington area who makes housecalls (or who is a mobile vet). If you want more info, I'll get it for you. It would be much easier for you to have someone who will come to you, especially when you know it's time for Tuna to make her journey.

Please PM or call me if I can do anything at all... smiley-hug005.gif

Jordan

Thanks, Jordan, I appreciate your support.

With the dog beds in my bedroom, I have now blocked the space between each one and my bed to keep her from sliding under the bed. I don't use incontinence pads, I doubt she would stand for them. I just cover up dog beds with towels, sheets and blankets and have a hand held Bissell Little Green machine on standby for the carpet. When I am not home I have it set up so she is confined to the kitchen. She has a nice, soft bed in there and I keep a towel down on the floor and she knows to pee on it if she has to go before I return home.

Thanks for offering the vet info but while a mobile vet would likely be easier I really like the vet I have so I will find a way for it to work out when the time comes.

Thanks again.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to post a reply here, it does help.

I'm sorry this is so hard on you and Tuna. You don't have to do this alone you know. Would it help to have an evening off? DH and I could come over one night and hang out with the dogs while you get out.

Thanks, Beth, I appreciate the offer. The thing is, I don't really have anywhere to go anyways so I might as well stay home! I will let you know if I do decide to take a break one night. Thanks again.

Sarah, I don't have anything constructive to add, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you. You know what I just went through with Riley, and the whole time I was thinking it would have been so much easier if he was showing signs of going downhill, but the reality is no matter what, making that decision sucks. I hope your vet is able to come to your house when the time comes. I too wish I lived closer so I could physically help, but we are all here for emotional support. I've always loved Tuna, her name is my favorite greyhound name ever. :grouphug

Thanks for the kind words of support, Lucy, I appreciate it.

Edited by Sorcha