Time

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

I know this has probably been covered before and apologize if it is repititious but how much time do you spend with your greyhound?

Lots! It varies from day to day tho. Today I get to work from home. Yesterday I had to work at the office so was gone about 7 hours. But when I got home I was able to engage in a game of chase through the house with the dogs :) I loved every minute of it. I also enjoy sitting on the back porch in the mornings when they first go out. Each one gets pets and scritches before we start out our day. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest burgerandfrey

It would be easier to count the hours I'm not with our greyhounds :lol

Well... having a full time job I am away from the house for roughly ten or eleven hours a day during the week. My wife works from home now, so she is with the dogs all day while I'm at the office. Of course being with your dogs isn't necessarily interacting with them, but we do plenty of that as well. My wife and I take our dogs with us whenever we can, and we tend to plan weekend activities that allow us to include the dogs. We like to walk and hike a lot, so naturally our greyhounds walk and hike with us. We also take them places where they can run inside of a larger fenced in area on a pretty regular basis. They love to go for car rides as much as they love to go for walks. A good day for them is a car ride, a run, and a walk with some treats thrown in for good measure :colgate

When we are at home our greys like to be close to us... in the same room, out on the deck, in the front yard, etc. Zeke follows us everywhere, while Lola is a bit more independent. We frequently play with them with or without toys. They often sleep with us as well, although Lola usually gets the night shift and Zeke will climb in bed in the morning if my wife is still asleep when I leave for work. They also get attention from my nieces, and they seem to like kids a lot. That's a good thing since we have a baby on the way this August. We look forward to expanding the family and hope Zeke and Lola will bond to our daughter as quickly as they bonded to us. Of course the interaction will be supervised, but so far our greys have shown to be very patient and tolerant around small children... they are always excited to see them.

Sean

Guest TeddysMom

We are blessed to be retired and both of us are home bodies so we spend 99% of our time with the dogs. DH is disabled so if I have to run into town for something, he is here with the pups. Basicly the only time we are both gone is for DH's doctor appointments. I had much rather be home with the dogs than anywhere else so I am pretty happy now.

Guest jenznaz

DH is home with Xilo during the weekdays more than I am (I have a 9-5 not close to home). But when I get home at 6pm I'm spending the rest of the evening walking, playing with or grooming him. And he sleeps in the room next to me.

Weekends are pretty much centered around what we can do with the dog - we take him everywhere. I also try to volunteer for my group as much as possible with Meet and Greets, etc. so he's with me then.

Love my puppers! ♥

Guest greytgrandma

even tho Hot Rod isnt mine I spend at least a couple hours a day with him.Sometimes more like today I brought him over here to my house after I got off work.

When Josh isn't working he spends allot of time with Hot Rod .When Josh is working on his car Hot Rod naps on the back seat :lol

Hot Rod also does some sleep overs here at our house :colgate When he is here he spends most of his time with me. This afternoon I sat out on the swing with his leash attached to me while I crochet and he naps or watches the neighborhood.Or I attach his leash to a belt and he helps me weed the flower beds. Sometimes in the evening he will go out and nap in the living room where DH is watching tv.He loves his grandpa( grandpa shares his animal crackers with Hot Rod :lol ) but he is mostly attached to me when he is here:wub: :wub:

Guest Jubilee251

Husband and I both work regular, full-time jobs so unfortunately, Molly is alone most of the weekday (with the exception of the dogwalker). She does get an hour+ walk and/or running at the dog park and/or sand volleyball courts in the morning, and I spend some time cuddling with her after breakfast.

Husband walks her after work, and I spend some time with her after dinner (might be training, or another short walk, or if she's feisty, some ball time). And then lots of cuddling and scritches at night, so she does get quite a bit of loving to make up for our absence.

On the weekends, we're able to spend most of the days with her. Especially now that it's warming up, we're able to take her to summer events, dog beaches, etc.

I work 40 to 45 hours a week. The compromise with my boss for working more was that I can bring Major with me. And I work in a petstore, so you guess that there's nothing boring for him there! ;)

Guest saltwaterron

riley gets about 7-7:30 for potty break and eating. she sleeps til 10:30 or so. i take her for a walk, sometimes 20 minutes sometimes 30-40. now that it's warmer she likes to spend some time in the sun. i try to brush her everyday and on occasion she entertains me by running in the backyard. if she wants to come inside she shows up on the back steps. i try to walk her before supper and when she eats in the evening she likes to sleep til 10-10:30. i walk her again before bedtime and the routine starts again the next morning. i just wanted to see how others spend time with theirs. i hope riley is getting the attention she needs. sometimes i just doubt myself. thanks for all the replies.

I work during the week but I'm lucky to live close enough that I can come home every day at lunch to walk my two and spend a little time with them. I am with them after 5:00 every night and all weekend. Most of my "off work" activities are Greyhound related so they come with me. I love to go places where I can take them with me.

I work 40 hours a week, and my drive time is about 30 minutes total per day, so 42.5 hours I have no choice, but honestly? The rest of the time I am with George (or he is with me) unless he can't be for whatever reason. I take him to the auto dealer when I get my car serviced, I don't really go places on weekends unless he's welcome. I just prefer his company to that of most people.

I have my groceries delivered 'cause I have a bad shoulder and live on the third floor with no elevator. I take my dry cleaning to the office. I bank by mail or computer. I shop via the internet for clothing--I just prefer to be doing what I WANT, not running stupid errands all weekend.

Because we get up at 5:20 (for our long walkies! And 'cause we have flex time at work so I work 7-3:30), in the evening, I'm really too tired to go do anything--although I have arranged things so my life mostly is delivered!!!

So, the answer is a LOT!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I work from home, so I spend pretty much all day with them. Yes, I'm spoiled!

Before I got this job; however, I spent 8 hours away from home and I'd come home for lunch to let the dogs out and give them treats. Both of our hounds were fine with that schedule and honestly now that I am home working - all they do is sleep all morning, then I let them out around lunchtime and give them treats and then they pretty much sleep until dinner. So basically the same schedule as before, it's just I get to watch them while they sleep now. :lol

Guest TBSFlame

I spend a lot of time with my hounds. They are my life. I work part-time and dh is retired. Most of my activities are planned around greyhound adoption. We no long travel unless it is a greyhound event. :) I sleep with them, play with them, love on them, talk to them, they are my life and are always put first.

Guest zombrie

I used to spend pretty much every waking minute with Mira, but I am in college now. But I go home on the weekends and hang out with her :)

Luckily we are retired so the hounds are never left for more than three hours or so and never in the evenings. We do try to leave them alone a couple of mornings a week though, so they will not develop SA and will be able to cope on the odd occasions we are both out at the same time.

Sue from England

Guest NJgrey

Both the fiancee and I work full time, so Ellie is home alone 8-9 hrs a day. I'm up with her at 6:30 and I leave at about 9 - in that time we do a little bit of play, eat breakfast and go for our long walk, about 45 mins - 1 hr, and that includes a few minutes of romping at the dog park (a few minutes is all she'll do, believe me, I've tried! ;)) My fiancee comes home before me, she does a quick potty break, then lots of training/ play time. When I get home we'll do another 20-30 minute walk, then come home and she'll do about a minute or two of zoomies around the bedroom. After she settles down from that it's dinner time and then cuddles/ pets/ sleep for her, but always in the same room as us.

Weekends we're together most of the time. Occasionally she'll need to be alone on weekends for a couple hrs but we tire her out beforehand and I'm confident she sleeps most of the alone time away. But for the most part on weekends we're together.

I feel bad having her spend a lot of time alone, but at the same time it's helped her be more independent and she sleeps the vast majority of the time anyway. We otherwise give her lots of exercise and attention. We both need to work to pay the bills, and we still like to go out to spend time with friends etc., but I think she could do a lot worse than having her choice of comfy couches, beds, treats and stuffies. :)

My husband and I both work full time, so walks in the moring and lots of time & attention on the evening and weekends. Bella seems perfectly content with this, as long as we leave her with a Kong and now that she knows we're coming home for her.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest greytmiles

Short answer: As much as I possibly can!

Long answer:

I'm out of the house ~10 hours/day M-F.

I try not to go out for more than a couple hours one or two nights per week (errands, dinners, etc.)

Whenever I am home, we're side by side - we sleep in the same bed, even.

Weekends I try to plan at least one fun outing for Miles, otherwise he hangs out with me whatever I'm doing around the house.

If I'm visiting with dog-friendly friends, I'll bring him with me.

When I go out Friday or Saturday nights it's after his last walk (~8pm), and he conks out the rest of the night anyway.

Erin

Guest widowcali

I work, and go to school, full time. so I am probably away from the houndies about 10 hours a day during the week, and 3 or 4 hours a day during the weekend. As long as I am where they can find me, they are happy. Occasionally, if someone feels they have not gotten enough quality mommy time, I will get poked with a needle nose. Widow cuddles with me on the bed when we sleep, so she probably gets the most time. Everyone gets scritches, huggs, kisses, and cuddles several times a day.