Help Me Get Wizard To Eat.

Guest SusanP

More good thoughts for Wizard. I hope you can get this all under control soon!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IMS is the only vet treating him right now--when I say vet, I am refering to her, and she's out of plans. We're hoping his finishing up the doxy this morning will make a difference. I'm hoping we can lower the prednisone dose and quit the thyrozene as well.

Wizard is actually eating normal amounts of food now, though only certain foods appeal to him. the vet wasn't too concerned about novel protein foods yet, thinking the pred would help (and it...or something...did stop the potty accidents)but I attempted to find some on my own, and he wouldn't eat them at all. I have not gotten any "prescription" diets, like z/d, but I'd like to give one a try and see if he'll eat it.

I'll try emailing OSU--It's going to be such a crazy, long, involved story. And I hope it's not too late.

But Wizard is eating *something*(baby food and Iams low residue), he's not peeing frequently and peeing/pooping in the house.

He seems weak and still sometimes has very slight spasms in his head/face, but not like he was.

get the z/d wet and warm it a bit. ANY kibble will be too much for his sensitive system right now. The wet is mild and that is what kept Beau alive. I pray this works for your boy too. It's never too late to give it a try. Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. Your vet (any vet) will carry the z/d canned.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Twogreythounds

I am a big fan of canned fish when my greys got to picky. Mackeral, Tuna, anything stinky and fishy smelling really increased their appetites! My pups also go crazy for rolls of Pet Fresh dog food (in fridge section) but I don't think its available everywhere (if you happen to be in the NJ, DE, PA area this could help). Eggs are really good too, you could try an "egg" sandwich with bread and deli meat (cooked or uncooked) to get some more calories in. Good Luck!

Guest SusanP

Wizard just walked our old 1/2 mile route at a near-normal pace, keeping up with the other dogs and even breaking into a trot frequently. I don't know what to make of it, but he's having a very good day today. Please cross fingers it continues.

Guest SusanP

Last night, Wizard ran down the stairs and went out in the yard with the other dogs *two times*, both times coming in and running back upstairs, though we noticed his hind legs stumbling a bit near the top of the staircase one of the times.

I got the ok for Pepcid and gave him one at bedtime. At 2 a.m. he woke me to say he'd just peed in the hallway. He has been waking me before he pees lately, but it could be he was intimidated by Zippy, who has a history of lunging at dogs who walk past her in the night and was sprawled out in the hallway right outside our bedroom door. (Wiz had chosen to sleep in the living room. On the other hand, he walked past her to wake me *after* he peed. then he was panting slightly and pacing but refused to walk past the pee til I cleaned it up. Once I did, he went to the kitchen, ate, and went back to be for the nite.

I'm still encouraged. He is on only prednisone and thyrozene now.

Guest SusanP

It stopped going so well today. Wizard didn't eat as much and is beginning to spit out his pills when he detects them in food, what little food he'll still eat. I don't know how I'm going to get his evening meds into him. In desperation, I attempted to just pop them down his throat, but he became panicked when I tried to handle his mouth and managed to choke them back up, struggled and ran away. I feel terrible--the last thing I want to do is stress him or make food more stressful than it is. I don't understand what he's going through with food.

I can try Ensure tomorrow, but how on earth will I get those pills into him tonite? :(

Guest Energy11

When Max was dying of Osteo, all he would eat, believe it or not, was Science Diet AD canned (**supplementation for sick and dying animals).

Sorry you are going through this with Wizard!

Guest Energy11

Is Science Diet AD available only through vets?

Any ideas on how to get his pills into him tonite?

YES, Science Diet AD is a prescription, and only available throught vets. Maybe liverwurst??? Crush the pills and hide in ice cream or cream cheese? Good Luck!

Guest SusanP

Thank you--I was just thinking cream cheese...but I think I need to give him some time to destress before I try again. I wonder if he would trust DH more at this point. :(

Guest Energy11

I hide my greys' pills in cheese, too ... another thought! It is always easier to crush them, or, in the case of capsules, open then, and hide in foods.

I hope this works, but, I totally recommend the Science Diet AD, which is literally for sick and dying animals. It is kind of like baby food.

Sending love, hugs and may prayers! Dee and The Five

I second Merlinsmum's suggestion of Nutritional Yeast. Judy and Claudia had a lot of luck with it when their dogs weren't eating. You can usually find it at Whole Foods or health food markets. You just sprinkle it on top of the food.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest SusanP

He came in the kitchen looking for food--knocked the bowls of dried kibble around, drank some water. I tried the cream cheese. It's a no.

I let him lick some raspberry jelly off my fingers and he seemed to like it. I wonder if he'd notice the pills in it? Probably. I've already had to throw away one round of soggy, melted, cheese and peanutbutter encrusted pills as it is.

Guest Energy11

He came in the kitchen looking for food--knocked the bowls of dried kibble around, drank some water. I tried the cream cheese. It's a no.

I let him lick some raspberry jelly off my fingers and he seemed to like it. I wonder if he'd notice the pills in it? Probably. I've already had to throw away one round of soggy, melted, cheese and peanutbutter encrusted pills as it is.

Couldn't hurt to try the jelly ....I'd CRUSH them up, though. Good Luck!

Guest SusanP

I got a little interest with nutritional yeast the other day, but not yet today. I wonder if I should mostly just let him rest tonite and start over in the middle of the nite when he's hungry or in the morning.

But I've got to get those pills down!

Truth: I'm beginning to think he's telling me he's tired of this whole thing. My DH and kids say I"m a pessimist, but he's been sick so long, been on the meds long enough I'd expect to see more improvement than this if he's ever going to get better. More and more I wonder if we should just let our poor boy rest. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Can't stuff them down his throat? That's what I do.

Oops, I see that was a problem.

When I can't stuff down throat, what I do is find something, anything, the dog will lick off my fingers. Get a good glob of it on one hand, pill(s) in the other. Give dog disgusting fingers to lick. While dog is busily licking, poke pill in side of mouth as far back as you can (corner of lips). Make sure to time your poke so there is still a LOT of good stuff to lick off the other hand. Watch in case you have to poke pill back in, sometimes they fall out but 95% of the time they slide on down while dog is licking and swallowing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

Batmom, I'll try it, but it's getting harder and harder to find things he cares all that much about licking off my fingers. I'm going to wait a little while before trying again. I'm feeling panicky, and he was, too.

What a change from our good day yesterday.

I've had really good results with the Nature's Variety Prairie Raw meals. Just thaw the meat medallions and feed them to him without cooking. With Dell, who is now 12, he's never carried enough weight and any little thing can make him not eat (he's a bit of a nervous nelly), I'll be feeding him one thawed medallion in every meal for the rest of his life. He eats great when I add that in there. I break up the medallion into about 6-7 bite size pieces. When he wasn't eating well, I would feed 3-4 medallions in his regular kibble meal. But the medallions are a well balanced meal in themselves.

RF_Medallions_Chicken.jpg

I second on the medallions. When our Lulu was refusing to eat in her last weeks, these were well accepted by her over many other things offered. I would set a few in the fridge to thaw each night so they were ready for her next meal.

Guest SusanP

No to raspberry jelly after all, and I didn't even try putting pills in it.

No to vanilla ice cream.

What if we just can't get pills into him anymore? I'm not going to turn his life, or what's left of it, into a struggle to get pills that aren't even helping him down his throat.

And it isn't just the prednisone and thyrozine. He has 1 1/2 enalapril to take, too.

Edited by SusanP

No to raspberry jelly after all, and I didn't even try putting pills in it.

No to vanilla ice cream.

What if we just can't get pills into him anymore? I'm not going to turn his life, or what's left of it, into a struggle to get pills that aren't even helping him down his throat.

And it isn't just the prednisone and thyrozine. He has 1 1/2 enalapril to take, too.

How about wrapping the meds in deli roast beef? It worked for Lulu....but only for a couple of times. What worked for her one day, was refused the next. My fridge was so packed with so many different things that worked for one meal, and not any more. I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been there, and it is so hard just trying to figure out what will work next.

Just peanut butter doesn't work?

Liver. (eewww, I know, but a lot of these hounds love it)

Cheese whiz (spray cheese in a can)

Canned tuna (or sardines)

Oatmeal with butter and a little brown sugar

You could crush the pills, swirl into applesauce, and syringe him a little at a time if he won't lap it up on his own.

Poor Wizard. Poor you. I hope tomorrow is a better day again.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.