Whining

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

My greyhound whines incessantly in the evening. Our veterinarian suggested we feed him in the evening, but it did not help. We'd take him for a walk/run, and then he'd come back and whine some more. He also did not like for us to watch TV in the evening, so he'd whine. Is there anything we can do to discourage him from whining for no apparent reason??

Guest Wasserbuffel

How long have you had him?

I've only had mine for a little over a month. She whined a lot at first but settled down after a couple weeks. She just didn't know what was going on.

Guest TahoeMom

Actually, that is helpful. Either he wasn't feeling well or he didn't like something. In any case I know that not all greyhounds are whiners like Tahoe. Thanks for the response.

Has he always been this way or is this a new behavior. If it's new, he may have something medical going on. All of my whiners have been new to the household. I've never dealt with one that had been here that long and whined.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Teddy is a world class whiner. The other night, he whined and howled from 3:30 to 6:00 AM. He was hungry, (I think) because he ate a little earlier than usual. He whines for everything. I didn't want to reward him in the middle of the night and give him a banana (one of his favorite foods) because I was afraid he'd think it was OK to demand a snack in the middle of the night. I wish I knew how to get him to shut up sometimes!

My guess is that he wants something from you. Attention, food, a treat, maybe?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Magdalyn58
Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest lanielovesgreys

Vivie is a whiner. Sometimes I work in the garden which is just outside her bedroom window. She sits there, watches me, and whines.

Guest TahoeMom

Ah, so whining is quite common. I guess it's the only way they have to get our attention. When Tahoe whined in the middle of the night, I knew I'd better take him for a walk or else. He usually only did that when his stomach was in turmoil. I'm thinking that all his whining may have been due to his sensitive stomach issues. He might have been trying to tell me something. And only when he was "busy" did he stop whining. I often resorted to giving him rawhide chews when we wanted to watch TV....which probably didn't help his stomach either. (sheesh)

Guest mpportraits

That's a tough one cause you want to know what's wrong and help them but at the same time it's really annoying! I've got a new grey in the house, Nina, who whines a few times here and there and I attribute it to the nervousness of a new environment. I just say in a firm voice "it's going to be ok Nina, just relax". I want her to know that I'm in control by using the tone of my voice. I've read that our leadership makes them feel secure, not that this is what he's going through but maybe he feels insecure about something? I'm really not that great at grey advice but it's something I thought I'd throw out there. Good luck! Keep us posted on the progress.

My Molly is a whiner. She whines when she wants me to hurry up with what I'm doing so we can go for our walk. She whines when she wants me to get up in the morning. Sometimes she whines for no apparent reason rolleyes.gif I try to tell her that whining is neither useful nor productive, but she doesn't seem to believe me.

One interesting thing, she has hurt herself a few times (ripped dewclaw twice, broken toe once) and never whined once! I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell a "serious" whine from an annoying one, but it doesn't seem like that's a problem.

I hope Tahoe just wants attention :)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Sophia is a random whiner. It makes no sense to me. She whines at some times when the cause is apparent (no room on the sofa or bed, for example) and other times I think she's just impatient or excited.

Guest Sunset123

I try to tell her that whining is neither useful nor productive, but she doesn't seem to believe me.

Sounds like me. :P Arrisa gets antsy and starts whining at me and I tell her, "I'm sorry, but I don't understand you because you don't speak English!"

Guest MyBoys

My Seany is a world class whiner, he is pushing 12 and whines with the best of them, and like your boy seems to do it a lot when we are watching TV or I am on the computer. I can usually tell if he needs to go out because he will get up and dance around a bit and whine, but for the most part he just lays on his bed and as soon as me or DH make eye contact he starts to whine, it is almost funny to watch him doing his little attention act.

Brucie is an attention hog and whines when he doesn't get it. Came right from the track this way...he was a kennel favorite so I think they spoiled him :colgate . Now, he talks incessantly and has the great quality for being more demanding than a baby. I wish he'd learn how to whisper.

Other than a 'hush', which is about 20% effective, I have not found anything that will quiet the boy down.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GradStudent

Penny is a whiner. If it's incessant it's because she needs to go out. Often it also means she just wants pets and will shut up as soon as we pay attention to her (begins again immediately after we stop petting her!)

Guest TBSFlame

We've had him 8 years so far.

We have had Flame almost 8 years and he whines. He has never barked but he whines. It is just him.

You need to meet Wonder's little girl, Passion, she is an olympic class whiner :lol and really stinkin' cute

My Jeff Gordon is a whiner too, DH is pretty sure that he somehow got a whistle lodged in his nose. He whines if the phone rings or he sees the vacuum cleaner. He whines if everyone leaves the room, he whines when we shut a door (like the bathroom or into the shower) and sometimes he just randomly whines. His favourite is the 'please get up' whine that he likes to start at about 5 am.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm not sure there's anything to be done. Buzz is my whiner and he WHINES! Happy or not he whines and if I don't pay attention to the whining then it gets LOUDER! I have gotten used to it now but it still bugs me when we're at a meet 'n greet and we're telling people that Greyhounds are NOT big barkers and they're pretty quiet and then Buzz goes into his really loud whining!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Nikki is a world class whiner. She rarely whines at night if she is wearing her jammies. For the "cause I feel like whining", a squirt bottle is your friend.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod will whine when it is almost supper time.he will sometimes whine when he thinks you should get up from whatever your doing and rub his belly. he is such a cry baby sometimes :lol

Guest 4dogscrazy

My Jesse is a whiner too, incessant. Like some of the others said, occaisionally I can figure it out. When I first got him, I switched everyone to eating four times a day because he acted like he was starving to death, even though he came to me in perfect condition! We are back down to two times a day, with a big milk bone at noon and 9 pm. He will whine if his dinner or snack is five minutes late. He whines if he is cold, or someone has the "best" dog bed, or he is bored. I also get that weird reaction where if I make eye contact with him when he's staring at me he whines and clicks his teeth too! But I wanted to say, I have FINALLY figured out what the 10-11 pm whine is about...he wants us to go to bed!! He is tired and wants to go lay in his crate, but he wants us to come too :lol