Whining

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

Sounds like whining is a form of communication, and a lot of greyhounds just do it because they can. That means it wasn't something I did wrong with my beloved. He wasn't unhappy when he whined. He was just talking to us. My family found his whining almost unbearable at times. But I could get him to stop by taking him for a walk, giving him treats, or just cuddling him. But it's true if they don't need to go out, it is possible to ignore that whining.... with ear-plugs. ;-)

And guess what....now I miss his whining. Tahoe was a very warm presence in our lives for 8 years. He made himself heard. Without him our house echos with sadness.

Edited by TahoeMom

Guest hshirlow

Sunshine is a whiner. She will lay on her back, in her bed, and whine for us to come pet her. Forget her coming to us! She wines for attention, food, comfort. You name, she wines for it. And if you let it go long enough, she's bark and howl. I'm beginning to think greyhounds just love to talk.

Guest Liz

Our Miss Tess is a whiner, she will whine when she wants the couch, and if she decides we have not fed her fast enough, then there are times she whines just to whine. Fortunately she doesn't do it all the time, so when she whines we have figured out what she wants.

Guest Sweetreba

My Jesse is a whiner too, incessant. Like some of the others said, occaisionally I can figure it out. When I first got him, I switched everyone to eating four times a day because he acted like he was starving to death, even though he came to me in perfect condition! We are back down to two times a day, with a big milk bone at noon and 9 pm. He will whine if his dinner or snack is five minutes late. He whines if he is cold, or someone has the "best" dog bed, or he is bored. I also get that weird reaction where if I make eye contact with him when he's staring at me he whines and clicks his teeth too! But I wanted to say, I have FINALLY figured out what the 10-11 pm whine is about...he wants us to go to bed!! He is tired and wants to go lay in his crate, but he wants us to come too :lol

I am laughing cause that is what my Petey does too. When it is getting later he wants the crate not his pillow in the living room cause he doesn't want to be bother later to come to bed so he will whine for me to come. He also will whine during the day when he is awake cause he thinks we should be out for a walk or I should be playing with him.

Edited by Sweetreba