Are We Suppose To Be Cleaning These?

I don't unless there is a problem. I cleaned Zema's ears once when she first came home (had some excess goo at that time), gave her drops once when she had an infection, otherwise no ear cleaning over the nearly 10 years I've had her. Joseph occasionally needs a gentle wipe of the outer portions with a Kleenex but otherwise I leave them alone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:nod :nod Batmom :nod :nod

I think also it depends on the dog. Donner's ears get dirty much quicker than my other dogs. No clue why. :dunno

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest kydie

I clean everyones ears once a month, just to keep an eye on any possible issues, now if one starts to itch an ear, I am on it right away, just me, :)

Guest MadeItToTheMoon

Our adoption rep told us to clean Oliver's ears with a round makeup applier (those cotton things... I don't know how else to describe them!) that has rubbing alcohol on it. We've had him for 3 weeks and haven't cleaned his ears yet- they're still looking good :)

Guest FullMetalFrank

We have been really lucky with our hound's ears; they stay remakably clean on their own and no problems. Once in a great while (maybe 3 or 4 times a year) I will give them a quick swipe with a baby wipe.

Here's a trick from our vet: if you're not sure if they need cleaning but they look okay, stick your nose in and smell them. Lots of times you can't see an ear infection but you can smell it.

On the other hand, I would think an infection you can smell would also cause the dog to shake his head and scratch at his ears...

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Depends on the dog. Look in the ears periodically. Most greys have shiny clean ears, and I see no reason to clean them - ever.

My Diana, however, has DIRTY ears. If you open the ear, and look inside, you can see a LOT of crud in hers. I've had her checked at the Vet's several times - no infection, no mites - she just has ear gunk. The vet often says hers ears look "normal" to him. They're not normal compared to other greyhound ears. So - I clean her ears about once per month. She hates it. She does not scratch at her ears, and has no problems because of it. She just has ear-crud. :blink:

I don't think that most greys need ear-care unless there's a problem.

My one girl never has dirt in her ears although I check every so often. My other girl seems to always get dirty ears. I use a soft cloth with warm water and very little gentle liquid soap (baby wash or the like) and gently clean her ears about once a week. I always get some dirt. It was the same as my first two girls. Nylah never had any dirt in her ears, but Sierra always had some dirt. They love the cleaning. I have heard some call it "eargasims"!! :lol