Black "mole" With Red Mark On Belly

Guest tuxie

Guest TeddysMom

After dealing with boxers for 20 years, I never take any chances on lumps and bumps. I would have it looked at by your vet.

Edited by TeddysMom

That is exactly what Peanut had on her chest.

babygirl012.jpg

The fill in vet thought it was a puncture wound since it pealed off and there was a hole. It healed, but she still has a smaller black growth. My regular vet will remove it as Peanut has had one hemangioma removed from her toe. The pathologist had predicted she would get more. Hemangioma's are harmless, but if left they can turn cancerous over time. Not rushing, but not taking chances either.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sophie had something similar too. It kept going away and recurring over a period of months, so eventually I had it removed and it was a cutaneous hemangioma. As foxysmom said, although they are benign they can become cancerous if left so best removed IMO.

0803120016R.jpg

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Shadow had the same thing and it ended up being a cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. Cancerous, but not a big deal if removed with clean margins (which it was).

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Robin has had something for a couple of years that looks a little like the second picture, but without the redness. We've been watching it, and I don't think it has grown. But he has a vet appt on Wednesday for a checkup. He measured it last year.

What do they do to remove something like that? Sedation and everything, or is it less major than that?

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Robin has had something for a couple of years that looks a little like the second picture, but without the redness. We've been watching it, and I don't think it has grown. But he has a vet appt on Wednesday for a checkup. He measured it last year.

What do they do to remove something like that? Sedation and everything, or is it less major than that?

It can be done with a local. They freeze the area, cut the mass and a margin around it out, then stitch it closed.

The one Peanut had removed from her toe was done 5 min after I got the estimate - Yep, my vet knows me and moves fast. :D It took more time to freeze her toe than it did to do the procedure. She was back, bandaged in less than 20 min. The only reason it took that long as my princess couldn't wakl so they took the bandage off to make sure she was okay. Turns out bandages are evil beings you know. :rolleyes:

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

They seem to come and go on white or light dogs. I used to freak out when I saw them but am now are more relaxed about them if they don't change size and go away in a week or so. OTOH, any hemangiosarcoma is nothing to fool with, so going to the vet isn't a waste either.

Guest tuxie

Thank you so much for your quick responses and pictures. Everyday the "mole" has become bigger and then today...IT IS ALMOST GONE! It is the craziest thing. We are going to keep our eye on it but no more red mark behind it either

Thank you so much for your quick responses and pictures. Everyday the "mole" has become bigger and then today...IT IS ALMOST GONE! It is the craziest thing. We are going to keep our eye on it but no more red mark behind it either

This is what used to happen with Sophie's. The picture I posted is of it in one of its early stages. Over the course of a few days, the redness would fade and the blood blister would get bigger and bigger until it burst and turned into a scab, which eventually fell off. Just when I thought it had gone forever, a tiny blood blister would form and the whole cycle would start all over again!

Hopefully this won't happen in your case, but yes do keep a close eye on it just in case.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Anna had one when she came to live with us. Had it checked out and was told it was "nothing". It eventually cleared up but reappeared within a short period. That one cleared up, too, and so far (knock wood) hasn't reappeared.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

This is what used to happen with Sophie's. The picture I posted is of it in one of its early stages. Over the course of a few days, the redness would fade and the blood blister would get bigger and bigger until it burst and turned into a scab, which eventually fell off. Just when I thought it had gone forever, a tiny blood blister would form and the whole cycle would start all over again!

Hopefully this won't happen in your case, but yes do keep a close eye on it just in case.

This is exactly what Tank's does. It never gets past a paticular size but does run on a cycle. Do you think I should have it removed any way?

This is exactly what Tank's does. It never gets past a paticular size but does run on a cycle. Do you think I should have it removed any way?

How much does it worry you? I had Sophie's removed because our vet said he hadn't seen one before so had no idea what it was. Plus, I tend to be a bit of a worrier about these things and prefer to have them removed rather than keep watching and wondering if there are any changes that might indicate it's turned cancerous. I think if she develops any more I will most likely have them removed if they don't resolve on their own within a few months, although it would depend on her age and state of health at the time too, as our vet will only remove them with a general anaesthetic. Other people might feel comfortable with a wait and watch approach. Just FYI (and you probably know this anyway) but the pathology report for Sophie said it was important to keep her out of the sun as dogs with these growths have an increased risk for skin cancers generally.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

Guest tuxie

oh my, thought things were clearing up and then just now I looked and the red "stain" is coming back and there is another red "stain" forming next to it :( The "mole" is still there but has not changed in size. We had to reschedule his appt to Thursday, oh my :(

• 2 years later...
Guest poofmagk

Sophie had something similar too. It kept going away and recurring over a period of months, so eventually I had it removed and it was a cutaneous hemangioma. As foxysmom said, although they are benign they can become cancerous if left so best removed IMO.

0803120016R.jpg

Wondering what the time frame is for this type of growth? Oliver had one that grew and fell off while I was out of town for a week. Vet checked what was left and said it was nothing to worry about. It is back now, have a vet's appt. set up for next week due to another issue, will it most likely fall off before that. If it is removed will that stop it from reoccurring?

Guest jettcricket

My bridge angel Jett used to get those too. Took him into my vet and they did a biopsy and said it was a benign growth. My big boy Dave just had one on his belly that fell off as well.

Here's a pic of Jett's:

FoundersDayandBabyCrow013-1.jpg

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Vera had a couple just like the pics....turned out to be cutaneous hemangiosarcoma (cancer). The Vet removed them and they returned much faster & larger than ever. The cancer spread very quickly.

0803120016R.jpg

Wondering what the time frame is for this type of growth? Oliver had one that grew and fell off while I was out of town for a week. Vet checked what was left and said it was nothing to worry about. It is back now, have a vet's appt. set up for next week due to another issue, will it most likely fall off before that. If it is removed will that stop it from reoccurring?

My memory's a little hazy on this now, as we haven't had any for a couple of years now, but I think it would take about 2-3 weeks for the blood blister to grow, burst, form a scab and then fall off, and then there would be a space of a few days before the new blood blister would start to form. You can always take a photo of the growth to show your vet. I did, and the vet sent it to a dermatologist to get a second opinion. Sophie's growth was removed and has never recurred, but I do keep an eye on that spot just in case. Her brother had one removed too and that also has not returned. But these were the non-cancerous version: cutaneous hemangioma, and not the cancerous version: cutaneous hemangiosarcoma.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

Hemangioma....Trolley has had several. She had one removed & sent to pathology to be sure. My Vet said they are very common in Greyhounds. Worst that can happen is that they get big & burst. Bloody mess!

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest poofmagk

Thanks for the info! This is the 2nd time I've seen one on Oliver and they have been ~3 months apart, but in the same place. At this point it seems to already be falling off so I missed a good picture opportunity. I will still show the remains to the vet, but thats what I did last time. I guess I can just take him in right away the next time it is formed and see whether it would be good for it to get removed or not.

Just want to make one point here regarding these--cutaneous hemangiomas and cutaneous hemangiosarcomas look exactly alike. You really need a pathologist to determine the difference. We had a pointer in recently-had 3 of these dermal masses removed (with a local)-2 returned as benign hemangiomas and one as a sarcoma. They looked identical. Guess what I'm driving at is don't assume they are all benign.