Overheated Grey

Guest Duke

I don't know details about possibilities, but I do know that I don't let Robin do his zoomies until it's the cool evening, because he has a hard time cooling down afterwards. A spray bottle of water helps, too, if he seems to be panting a lot (like he is right now--we just got back in from outside, and it's cool in the house, but he's still "feelin' it" from outside).

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

In the "real" summer, they can overheat pretty easily when there is no relief. Expect activity to drop on hot days and if you are planning to be out, watch hot surfaces like asphalt and obviously never leave anything living in a car in the sun for any period of time. Give lots of water and keep Duke's feet cool if you suspect he is overheating.

For now, I would just watch zoomie quantity closely and force a stop if you suspect over exertion. I know my boys were REALLY feeling it last week when it was in the 70's here. They aren't yet used to these warm temps!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Energy11

Hi! My Dad lives in The Hudson Valley, and I KNOW it is HOTTT up there! It has been the same here for a WEEK!

I used to walk mine on the property here everyday around 10:30-11, but since it got hot, nope! We just let them out in the front and "the back forty" ... larger pen, but not for long periods of time. I noticed the other night with them, their ears and feet were extremely hot. I have also had the AC on here all week.

They cannot take temps like this ... high 80s and 90s for long periods of time! AND, to boot, NONE of us have had time to acclimate to these RIDICULOUSLY HIGH temps!

Just be EXTREMELY careful. Do not let your grey out for long periods of time, and if you have to walk ... early in the morning, and evenings, just before dark. No zoomies in this heat, or if he must do them, later in the evening.

Let's hope these temps get back to normal SOON! Summer is horrible enough without it starting in Aprilangryfire.gif !

Hope you and your pupper stay cool!

Edited by Energy11

The temp here today was probably high 70s maybe 80, he is panting away. No heavy exertion, as in our walk down to the park. By zoomies you mean running full out? Mine hasn’t done the circle thing that I have seen in videos. I also live in an upstairs apartment that can get hot, will get AC just for him. Right now he is on the couch with the fan on him, he came from Florida, shouldn’t he be used to this? Love him.

If your grey does overheat, you can take a hose, wet down the bottom of the feet, under the arms and the belly. You can also put a small kiddie pool in the yard and keep it filled with water. Some who get really warm will lay in the pool. Do not use really cold water, make it tepid which it will probably be coming out of a hose. Greys overheat really quickly so I'd walk during the early morning or evening hours after the sun goes down.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

The temp here today was probably high 70s maybe 80, he is panting away. No heavy exertion, as in our walk down to the park. By zoomies you mean running full out? Mine hasn't done the circle thing that I have seen in videos. I also live in an upstairs apartment that can get hot, will get AC just for him. Right now he is on the couch with the fan on him, he came from Florida, shouldn't he be used to this? Love him.

I lived in Florida for seventeen years, and my greys all come from there, and we overheat terribly!

Yes, no AC in an upstairs apartment can be BRUTAL. I turn our AC on here when it hits 72 in the house. Mine are ready for it by that time. You DO have to be careful, as they dogs do feel the heat.

Even if you want to get a window unit to cool one room, and let him stay in there when it is hot, it would work.

Good Luck!

Guest Energy11

if u find he doesn't drink that much water try some ice cubes. mine luvs to munch on those. keep pads of feet cool.

Oh...mine love ice in their water too! When it is REALLY hot, I sometime put some Gatorade in their water to help them keep hydrated. My Bold Energy wouldn't drink his water without it! blink.gif

Guest FullMetalFrank

We do ice in the bowls, turn on my AC in my bedroom and hang out in there if it's really bad... My kids are used to the sometimes 100 degree weather we can get in the summer; I just watch them carefully and make sure we all stay hydrated. There were a couple of days last summer when we all piled in the car and drove around with the AC on to cool off; one day we kept on driving and ended up at the beach!

You need to be really careful with exercise in the heat; things can go wrong very quickly. We do go out for walks; we try to go early or in the evening when it cools down a bit; carry lots of water and rest frequently. My little girl likes to run, no matter what the temp is; so I need to watch her. Our summer lure coursing trial is usually in August and it can be in the 90's. There are cooling pools, garden sprayers with cool water, sponges to wet down the armpits and groin, etc... She does fine but she has been acclimated to that sort of thing.

Guest Greytluv

I use wet towels and cool coats when it gets really hot. We don't get many "hot" days but it seems like there have been more in the past couple years.

Guest TBSFlame

I have never used spray bottles as punishment only as fun so the greys here learn not to be afraid of spray bottles. We also keep a baby pool in the backyard when its hot. Some like to lay in the water and some like to just walk around in it.

For all you guys that go to mountain hounds we will have a mist machine to keep us all cool. :o) I have been thinking about one for the hot summers here.

... Right now he is on the couch with the fan on him, he came from Florida, shouldn't he be used to this? Love him.

He lived in an air conditioned kennel in Florida ;)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Just like everything else, no one rule if going to fit every greyhound. Yours may tolerate the heat very well, or he may feel it easily. Some hounds are unaffected by cold, and some start shivering at 50 degrees. Just watch him for signs of overheating, and be prepared to intervene if he needs help. For example, have a thermometer ready to take his temp, be prepared to wet him down quickly, etc.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Can someone post signs of overheating in a grey? (I've forgotten some of them...) Thanks!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Can someone post signs of overheating in a grey? (I've forgotten some of them...) Thanks!

Toung hanging out and panting , walking on hot blacktop streets , over running , or walking in hot sun , 4 years ago 2 Greys died in a parade here. The black ones will get hotter faster.

Guest Energy11

Greyhounds and Heat Stroke

Greyhounds have thin coats, long stringy muscles and little fat, which gives them minimal insulation against heat or cold. Greyhounds are best kept in consistently moderate temperatures of 68 to 72 degrees.

Symptoms of Heat Stroke

Signs of heat stroke include heavy panting, weakness and red flushed ears and nose. Dogs can become so weak that they have trouble walking and even faint. Light-colored greyhounds are more prone to heat stroke, which can damage organs in the same way a fever does.

Treatments for Heat Stroke

The only treatment for heat stroke is to cool the greyhound as quickly as possible. Common techniques are spraying water over the dog, draping wet towels over his body and even using ice. It's critical to keep refreshing the water so that it stays cool. A visit to the vet is usually a good precautionary idea after the greyhound has recovered.

Prevention of Heat Stroke

Preventing heat stroke means following common sense guidelines. Dogs should always have water readily available, especially if they're prone to heat stroke. Water's cooling abilities can be strengthened if ice is added. Squirting a greyhound down with water will help to keep the dog's body temperature cool and prevent overheating. Owners can also wet a towel and drape it over the dog's body.

From our first aid seminar last year at Mt. Hounds:

Heat exhaustion and other heat-related problems:

*Basic rule-of-thumb. If you are hot, your dogs are hot! A person and dog's worst enemy in the summer is HUMIDITY! This condition adds a lot of moisture to the air, and inhibits the body's ability to cool itself! In the summer/hot weather, only walk your dogs early in the mornings, or shortly after the sun goes down. Avoid outside exposure from about 2-7 p.m. ... THE hottest time of the day! If you think your dog is overheated, ...you can tell by excessive panting, weakness, and lethargy, remove him from the heat, into a shaded or air conditioned area. You CAN use cool towels on him to cool, stand him in a wading pool or tub of cool water, or immerse in TEPID, not cold, water. After the dog is cooled down, you can offer a sports drink, mixed ½ drink, to ½ water. This enables the electrolytes to get into the cells more quickly. If you dog remains lethargic, or is running a high temperature, get him to the vet immediately. Heat Stroke IS a MAJOR MEDICAL EMERGENCY!

Edited by Energy11

Lots of good info here! Thanks everyone! Tank and I went for a walk in the park last weekend when it was in the high 70's. Needless to say not the best adventure. I almost passed out as my blood sugar crashed about half way through our walk. I had plenty of cold water for us to drink but couldn't get Tank to drink any. I had one of those collapsible bowls with me but he still refused to drink. I got both of us home as quickly as possible, got sugar in me and cold water for him. As soon as he hit the door he was headed to the water bowl. I then soaked a rag with water and wiped him down while he relaxed under the fan.

Do any of you know how I can get him to drink out of something other then his regular water bowl? I want to be able to take him out but I'm afraid to go to far as he won't drink any thing.

Guest snakes

In the warm weather i always have one bowl in the freezer with water that freezes to solid ice, about 1/2inch. When i take it out i top it off with cold water and the water stays colder much longer!

My pups love veggies so i get frozen broccoli and they love that and it helps them cool down after being outside. we are lucky to live near water so they can go dunk in when it gets hot.

Signs of heat exhaustion: heavy panting, thick, mucousy saliva, elevated temp (dogs normally run between 100-101 - more than a couple of degrees higher is cause for concern). Dog may become lethargic, unwilling to stand or move.

From a website:

Signs of heat exhaustion include heavy panting, hyperventilation (deep breathing), increased salivation early then dry gums as the heat prostration progresses, weakness, confusion or inattention, vomiting or diarrhea and sometimes bleeding. As the condition progresses towards heat prostration or heat stroke there may be obvious paleness or graying to the gums ( I realize this sign won't work for you but you might keep it in mind to ask someone about, just in case), shallowing of the breathing efforts and eventually slowed or absent breathing efforts, vomiting and diarrhea that may be bloody and finally seizures or coma. Temperatures above 105 degrees Fahrenheit are dangerous, if you have a way of taking her temperature. Most people don't carry around thermometers with them and the physical signs are usually enough to go by.

For treatment, get the dog out of the heat and wet down with cool, not cold, water (do NOT use ice to cool the dog; it can constrict blood vessels). A good way of cooling a dog is to put cool compresses on the femoral arteries, the chest, neck and head.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

The temp here today was probably high 70s maybe 80, he is panting away. No heavy exertion, as in our walk down to the park. By zoomies you mean running full out? Mine hasn’t done the circle thing that I have seen in videos. I also live in an upstairs apartment that can get hot, will get AC just for him. Right now he is on the couch with the fan on him, he came from Florida, shouldn’t he be used to this? Love him.

Keep in mind that fans work on people because we perspire. When the fan blows across us, it evaporates the perspiration which cools us down. Dogs do not sweat to allow this to happen. If mine are laying in front of the fans, I wet them down with a towel so the also can get the cooling benefits of the fan.