Innate Lack Of Aggression And Low Risk Of Inherited Disorders

Guest artur_ganate

Guest artur_ganate

.. when it comes to adoption.

Duffy et al. (2008) indicate in their paper that greyhounds

are the least aggressive of 33 breeds, suggesting that the greyhound’s aggressive reputation

is entirely undeserved. Calboli et al. (2008) show the greyhound to be the least inbred among

an array of common dog breeds, therefore having the lowest risk of inherited disease.

Link

Two reasons more... :nod

Greyhounds have an aggressive reputation?

that looks like that says lack of aggression to me.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sheila

I'm sure some folks will mistake a high prey drive with aggression. With racing dogs that have been trained to chase after a small/furry/squeaky thing that perception could be exacerbated. I once had a 10 yr old racing drop out at a fun run that didn't participate. However when he heard the sound of the lure beginning it took 3 of us to hold him back. This is the same dog that snuggled cats on a regular basis at home.

Guest missecho

My aunt from Ireland was aghast when I told her I was considering adopting a greyhound. She said, "those dogs very bad to adopt, they are so aggressive they have to wear muzzles". She certainly had the idea that greyhounds must wear muzzles because they are biters or worse.

Guest MyBoys

You would be surprised at how many people still believe that about greyhounds :huh , they see a muzzle and they think the dog MUST be aggressive.

Guest gecko_foot

You would be surprised at how many people still believe that about greyhounds :huh , they see a muzzle and they think the dog MUST be aggressive.

I have to say that the greyhound's calm and friendly reputation is what drew me in. I was initially concerned about how a grey would be with my "special" cat, but both of them get along very well. Now when people ask me how Tumnus does with my cat, I just flash pictures. As far as aggression, I've seen a chihuahua display more aggression in one second than Tumnus will probably display in his lifetime.

Pfft! Vicious....Yeah right!

If that muzzle weren't there...

I'm sure some folks will mistake a high prey drive with aggression. With racing dogs that have been trained to chase after a small/furry/squeaky thing that perception could be exacerbated.

Yep, that's the one thing the study didn't mention, and I'm sure it's responsible for a lot of people rejecting greyhounds as a choice.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Two of the reasons I chose greyhounds :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's a common misconception. I believe it's Australia where a greyhound must be muzzled at all times when out in public due to their "aggressive" nature.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

OMG SOOOO many people said to me "Greys are nervous and excitable and hard to train and need lots of excercise"

:angryfire

and you read that WHERE? What article? research? oh you didn't do any, huh?

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest FullMetalFrank

Two of my favorite qualities about the breed! Still, we encounter people with misconceptions, mostly due to the muzzles and the prey drive thing.

Guest LindsaySF

In parts of Europe and in Australia Greyhounds have a reputation for being aggressive or dangerous. In Australia there is BSL that they must wear muzzles in public. Some people in the US think this as well, but it's not as common.

Guest Sweetreba

My aunt from Ireland was aghast when I told her I was considering adopting a greyhound. She said, "those dogs very bad to adopt, they are so aggressive they have to wear muzzles". She certainly had the idea that greyhounds must wear muzzles because they are biters or worse.

I was walking the other day with my two greys and a man and woman came up and were petting the dogs. They were cleaning out a condo that sold due to their mother passing away and I knew she was from Ireland. The girl was familiar with the dogs cause her friend had some. He came up and said in Ireland they are not allowed out without a muzzle. I said and so did the girl, these are quiet docile dogs. He said well you know they come from the track there and are different when they've raced. When she and I told him they were racers he was shocked. He could not believe how docile they are. They must have a very different view on the breed.

Guest Happytails

Last week I was at the Toronto all about pets show with Walli. I didn't take Sully as we are still trying work out his mistery illness and he's a bit thin at the moment.

Walli was a calm as anything and loved the attention! She was also intested in what was going on behind us which I later discovered to be the Greek Cat rescue and just over from us was the rabbit rescue group! I think there are a lot of people with mobile phone pics of my legs and walli!

Anyway top questions asked:

Do they need a lot of exercise

Are they agressive

Good with children

Are they high strung

Do they eat lots?

What are they like with cats?

There are A LOT of misconceptions over greyhounds out there.

The only other question I was asked which really managed to leave me speechless was one crazy woman who wanted to know if Walli was available to adopt, politely explained she wasn't, and then prompty asked if I was African and where I was from? Explained to her that I am english and from london to which her response was "their a terrible bunch that royal family, what with them killing off Diana. You must still grieve for her?" :unsure