Tramadol Questions

Guest tammara

Guest tammara

Hi all. Bear's back has been very bad lately... we have added tramadol to his steroid and he is now off his food sad.gif so we will be asking the vet for carafate or something for his tummy. I'm not sure if it is the tramadol or the steroid or both, or neither... My other question is how much tramadol and when to give it to him. We have 50mg tablets and the vet told us two tablets twice a day. It says that they last 6-8 hours so this seemed to have left him with gaps where the pain increased... so we have tried to give him one pill every six hours, but I'm not sure if this makes him feel as well as two pills at once... What do you guys do?

Of course a post wouldn't be complete without a picture!

med_gallery_12381_3063_347119.jpg

My vet just put BeBe on it for Osteo pain management and did tell me that sometimes large dogs don't handle it as well for some reason and told us we could go down to half a pill. Maybe ask your vet if this is an option?

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest Energy11

When Max had Osteo, initially, I was giving (1) 50 mg Tramadol (3) times a day. He was also on Deramaxx.

On Pred, of course, you'd NEVER give a NSAID like Deramaxx. The PRED is most likey upsetting your Bears' tummy. You can give Pepcid AC or it's generic, twice a day, about 30-40 minutes before feeding. This might help his tummy a lot.

RE: your Tramadol dosage, you could try (1) three times a day. RE: how much more than that, I would definitely ask you vet.

Sorry to hear about his bad back! Sending him a big HUG, love, and many prayers. Dee and The Five

Provided that your dog doesn't have kidney disease you might be better off dosing with Metacam.

My last dog, Angel, was on that for 8 years for a shoulder injury.

We tried Tramadol towards the end of her life but she couldn't tolerate it. It caused heavy sedation plus dangerous heart arrythymias (the latter rare side effect only being mentioned in human medicine).

When Max had Osteo, initially, I was giving (1) 50 mg Tramadol (3) times a day. He was also on Deramaxx.

On Pred, of course, you'd NEVER give a NSAID like Deramaxx. The PRED is most likey upsetting your Bears' tummy. You can give Pepcid AC or it's generic, twice a day, about 30-40 minutes before feeding. This might help his tummy a lot.

RE: your Tramadol dosage, you could try (1) three times a day. RE: how much more than that, I would definitely ask you vet.

Sorry to hear about his bad back! Sending him a big HUG, love, and many prayers. Dee and The Five

How soon did they move you to 3x a day? BeBe is 2x a day right now and I just want to make sure she's comfy.... Sorry for the thread hiijack

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest Energy11

How soon did they move you to 3x a day? BeBe is 2x a day right now and I just want to make sure she's comfy.... Sorry for the thread hiijack

I think everyone will understand and forgive the "hijack."

Max was diagnosed early. At the time, he had just started limping, and I worked at my vet in Florida.

We started Max on (1) Tramadol, (3) times a day, along with Deramaxx, 37.5 mg, twice a day. He did really well with this for a while. We had Max over two months after his diagnosis, and, he was able to move out of Florida with us to the N. Georgia Mountains.

We did our best to keep him comfortable, and we knew it was "time" when he started hopping on three legs, and stopped eating. Max was 12 when he passed.

Sending love! Dee

Guest gryhnd3

Vet had told us that our female could take as much as 2.5 tabs Tramadol every 8 hours, but she recommended every 12 hours if possible. She weighed around 56lbs I think at that time. We've had two greys on it with no problems but I have read of others having issues. I believe it is okay without food, though I always prefer to have something in their tummy for meds if possible, sometimes it's hard. Hope Bear is feeling better soon!

Guest tammara

smile.gif No problem with hijacks here!

Thanks everyone. So it looks like maybe we should be doing one 50mg pill every 8 hours. I can try that and see if it's enough for him... and if its not maybe we could do 75mg for one of the doses when he is the most active. It's hard to know if the reason he is off his food is the meds or because he doesn't feel well. The only way he would heat his dinner last night was out of my hand. But at least he did eat it.

I just checked and there is a Tramadol Extended Release version--I have no idea if it's safe in dogs or not, but it might be something to ask your vet about.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Alex was on increasing doses of Tramadol + an NSAID from the pain of a bone biopsy (for osteo). The Vet said we could go up to 100mg 4 times a day. She said to first increase the number of doses a day and then the dose from 50mg to 100mg. Alex was 85 lbs.

Yes, I second the Pepcid when on Tramadol. Kiaba is on 75 mgs three times a day. He weighs 78lbs. He was diagnosed with Osteo a little over a week ago. He is very alert on this dosage and it seems to be helping with his pain for now.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest tammara

Thanks guys! Okay, good to know one pill every eight hours is a light dose. We have kept him at one every six, and up it from there if he needs it when he is most active. He tummy seems better today. I blenderized his dinner and he really liked it that way. We will get carafate and pepsid from the vet. I really appreciate all your input, it's so nice to have such a comfortable place to turn to.

Bear sends his thanks too!

Guest laurengrey

I'm a Physician Assistant so I prescribe humans Tramadol & prednisone but of course I'm not sure about prescribing it for dogs. For healthy humans I prescribe Tramadol 1-2 tabs every 4-6hrs as needed. Now for elderly patients their kidneys don't clear meds as well as younger patients. For elderly patients its recommended to dose Tramdol every 8-12 hrs (because it stays around longer in the blood stream). I would talk to your vet if you could give Tramadol every 6-8 hrs. From blood work the vet has done they may know that your dog's kidneys aren't working as well and if this is the case it would be dangerous to give your dog more frequent & higher doses. For the prednisone: yes prednisone is the cause of your dogs stomach discomfort. You could ask about splitting prednisone tabs and giving it more frequently during the day. I second that you should ggive your dog Pepcid or Zantac. These will relieve some of the acid that the prenisone is aggravating.

Guest laurengrey

Just another note: This is a great free website for human medicine which will have some overlap with pet medicine. You can use information for yourself & your pets. It's family practice notebook. The link is the site on Tramadol.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/Pharm/Analgesic/Trmdl.htm

Also- Yes Tramadol does have an extended release version but it is very expensive.

when emily was on pain management for osteo she was prescibed a combo of tramadol and metacam w/ a booster of amacidine. amacidine is a human anti-viral which seems to boost the effectiveness(sp) of the metacam. there was a paper published in or around the begining of december(that's when she was diagnosed)that the anethesioligist had just read which stated the benifits of the amacidine. it worked well until her shoulder developed a fracture.

sorry about the spelling errors, i can't down load the new spell check!