"elizabethan Collar" - How Long...?

Guest Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

So Riley is now home from an overnight at the vet's...yesterday he had an accident where he tore/gashed/cut??? his front leg...a "Y" shaped cut that the vet had a challenge getting all the tissue fit back together.

Any hoo.....Riley now looks like this...

P1040142.jpg

a close-up of the leg....

P1040141.jpg

So, if all goes well, he'll heal quickly and mostly scar free. :goodluck:candle

But the huge collar is causing Riley trouble climbing stairs, laying down comfortably, we haven't tried feeding him, but I think that may be sadly funny. :blush

Any way....thoughts about changing out the collar for a muzzle?

:dunno

K

Guest greydreams

My Al would still lick through the muzzle, I'm afraid. Maybe a poop stopper thingy in the muzzle, or they have a pillow like collar I saw at Petsmart that looks much more comfortable than the Elizabethan collars, and would be easier for them to do all that stuff in one of those.

Edited by greydreams

We had have to use an "E" collar a few times over the years. What works for us is that I have taken the collar off for meals or if the animal and I are interacting or I can keep an eye on them.

Also, not all animals need an "E" collar. Some animals will not bother their boo-boo's at all. I have never had an animal need an "E" collar after a spay/neuter surgery. Dylan needed one for the first few days after his eye surgery, but never needed one after his gut/"find the nut" surgeries. Donner also did not need one after his three "find the nut" surgeries. JD, a Shih Tzu, wore his collar for about a week for his eye removal, but really never showed mush interest in rubbing the area.

Aggadore wore his collar the longest after his "special male cat" surgery. But I did remove it for eating and to let him groom a few times a day. Again, while I was with him.

A muzzle with a stool cup or tape may work also. And there are some soft collars available in the net.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I loathe E-collars, and would only use them as a last-resort. I would definitely try the muzzle with tape on the end to prevent him licking through the muzzle. That has worked well for me with all my dogs and their various boo-boos. Remove the muzzle for mealtimes, and/or if you are directly supervising him. Otherwise he should still be able to breathe and even drink through it just fine, even with tape over the end few holes. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest SusanP

Ours usually do fine with a long sleeved t-shirt on to keep the leg covered. Spinner freaked out when a vet sent him home in an e-collar with DH once, ripped it off in the van. He never bothered his wound at all with a shirt on, and we returned the e-collar to the vet.

You can take the collar off for eating and if you walk your dog. You probably wouldn't need it in the car either. John E had to wear an e-collar for a long time after his eye surgeries and he was fine with it. He did have some trouble navigating the stairs but he slept very well in it. Then again, every dog is different.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Wpgkeith

Thanks...we took the lampshade off before bed and now are just monitoring his licking or lack thereof...we have hypothesized that the instructions - to keep him calm :rotfl - are probably what they give to SWF dog owners because they have no idea what calm looks like. :gmark

Riley has calm down pat!

:)

K

Edited by Wpgkeith

Glad you could dispense with the E collar. I only had to use one on one of my girls and she could reach the wound anyway. And worse, it scared the devil out of her.

I'd also second the suggestion for a muzzle with tape or a stool guard if you need to curtail licking.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest sheila

hopefully your dog will heal quickly and have no need of the collar for long. I once had a hound with a wound on the middle of his front leg that he was just obsessed with. Just covering with a shirt didn't work because he would chew through the shirt to get at it. Using a muzzle with a guard didn't work because he figured out a way to lay his head just right and lick around the guard. Using an E collar didn't work for the same reason. After battling with this wound being licked raw for 2 mo I finally had to resort to using all three any time the dog wasn't supervised. My poor guy had to wear this get up for a full month until the wound healed sufficiently for me to trust him to not worry it.

33775253-3f65-011F018C-.jpg

Guest Wpgkeith

Ahhhh....what sad looking pup.

Luckily, so far, Riley is pretty much acting like there is nothing wrong with his leg. :goodluck Hopefully this continues.

K

Guest Wpgkeith

Got back the vet's...having Riley's bandage replaced...we took some pics....Dr. Sexsmith did some very nice handiwork...

P1040157.jpg

P1040156.jpg

P1040155.jpg

P1040154.jpg

What was nice to find out...Dr.Sexsmith is a brand new vet...this is her first gig...our Usual - Dr. Gledhill takes Thursday's off now. Apparently, Dr. Sexsmith also has a GH! so we will take with her about that when next we change the dressing...Thursday. :thumbs-up

K

It does look very good. No redness or swelling, nice tight stitches. I'm sure it will heal nicely. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Wpgkeith

Thanks, Aimee.

I think getting him within 20 minutes of the injury...surgery within the hour really helped. That and as mentioned, the vet took the time to do a good job. :thumbs-up

K

Guest bluefawn

Sending healing thoughts for Riley smile.gif I just got a Foster & Smith catalog this week. They have a new item, Anti-Lick Strip. They come in a pack of 6. You just put one on your pet's leg or foot and it stops them from licking the area. They come in 3 sizes, S, M, & L. Did you ever figure out what he cut his leg on? I am glad it was not worse, and that you saw it right away!

Guest Wpgkeith

Sending healing thoughts for Riley smile.gif I just got a Foster & Smith catalog this week. They have a new item, Anti-Lick Strip. They come in a pack of 6. You just put one on your pet's leg or foot and it stops them from licking the area. They come in 3 sizes, S, M, & L. Did you ever figure out what he cut his leg on? I am glad it was not worse, and that you saw it right away!

He and Brogan were playing "chase" in the backyard...he tried to turn sharply...slid out and ended up with one leg under the fence. In his efforts to get back in the game, he came up pulled his leg across the bottom of the fence...and the rest is history. :(

:mellow:

K

Guest GreyFan09

Oh poor dog. I hope he heals quickly!

Comet had to wear an e-collar for a few weeks and it was a nightmare. He kept banging into things, catching it going up steps and wouldn't eat with it on. We were never so happy to finally get it off!