Vestibular Syndrome

Valor was diagnosed with vestibular syndrome today. Poor guy, he's 12 and a complete train wreck, can't stand, falls over, can't walk, very disoriented. The vet gave him a bag of fluids due to dehydration, a shot of valium and a shot of anti-nausea meds. He's sleeping in Bella's crate, I hope he feels better soon, he is really in bad shape.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Our lab had this when she was about 14. Its VERY scary, the way they act, etc. She got the same treatment your Valor got. Within a few days she was VASTLY improved, and within a week she was just about back to normal. And she went on to live to almost 17. Hopefully Valor will be feeling and acting much better soon.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Energy11

No experience with this, but my Dad has Vertigo, which is similar. He is always off balance, and not sure on his feet. He refuses to take his medication, as well.

I know Vestibular Syndrome in dogs can be treated, and there is usually a good outcome! Sending good luck, many hugs and prayers your way!

Our Buddy (small lurcher) had a vestibular attack on 18th February. She was worse on the second day and actually spend two days at the vets from that point. She had really horrible eye movements and she had vomiting (and I assume, bad nausea). She was started off on 4mg of Medrone v x 3 daily, along with Vivitonin. She's still taking the Vivitonin (and will continue to do so) but is now down to 1 x daily Medrone tablet.

I have to tell you that I thought she'd never recover, particularly during those first few days - but she did recover :)

She still has a very very slight head tilt but I don't think you'd notice if if you didn't know her well and she sometimes does the odd stumbley type movement for no apparent reason but generally, she's done very well indeed. She turned 14 in October so she's no spring chicken either :wub:

Here she is on 5th March

buddy050310a.jpg

The main issue she's been left with is that her eyesight on her left hand side has been damaged slightly, but we can live with that :wub:

Sending lots of good thoughts for Valor :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:goodluck

I hope Valor feels better soon.

I haven't had a dog with vestibular problems yet, but one of the kitties--just three at the time--had idiopathic vestibular disease. She had to be kept in a dog crate so she wouldn't climb something and fall. After about a month, she was doing fairly well, and then she had another bout (different symptoms). She's on a low dose of prednisone, and it seems to keep her symptoms under control. Without it, one eye doesn't work too well and her head tilts.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest KennelMom

Poor bubby :( One of our old guys had this at the age of 14. Scared the snot out of me (I thought he was having a stroke or something). He was better in a day or two and only had the one incident...

I cannot believe how bad this is, thank god it's not fatal but the poor Valor is still really having a hard time. Luckily he is resting comfortably at this time thanks to the valium. I have to carry him in and out, he cannot stand, I'm keeping him in the crate to keep him quiet and so he does not fall into anything and injure himself. The vet said there is nothing to do but wait it out and give the meds, she hopes he will improve some by the weekend. Thanks everyone for the good thoughts.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Guest jfroggirl76

Our lab had this when she was about 14. Its VERY scary, the way they act, etc. She got the same treatment your Valor got. Within a few days she was VASTLY improved, and within a week she was just about back to normal. And she went on to live to almost 17. Hopefully Valor will be feeling and acting much better soon.

Same thing happened her to our old guy who has since passed, I used a towel to take him out to potty because he could walk let alone go down 2 steps. If memory serves me correct it took about 2 weeks for him to get his full balance back. Hang in there and give him time but they do get their balance back.