Chance's Update

Guest janiek

Guest onlymrsp

I wrote a thread here a few weeks back and everyone was sooooo nice and informative. So, I thought that I would share an update that I just received:

More good news--his red blood cell count is now in the 'low normal' range (although still low for greys) at 40-check up last week was mid 30's. He appears to still be responding well to the triple medicine combo, so standard protocol is to knock him down on the prednisone since he's on 60mg a day--huge dose. All body functions are still checking in as normal (Xray confirmed no swellings or masses), with liver slightly elevated, but a common result of the specific drugs that he is on. If he continues to show increases in the red cell count, they will cut the prednisone each week down to a low maintenance level and see how he levels off. Normally he will be on doxycycline for one full dose (30days). The azathioprine won't be changed for awhile. Understandably, the predisone has his metabolism all messed up and revved up (similar to what hungry humans experience, but the weight gain, at least in greys, not so much. Will be looking into this further today). Since he started out not eating well, and now he's going through the drugs (and we know how fast greys drop weight before you realize it), he has dropped 10lbs. Since his prednisone was cut in half last night, we're hoping to be able to start putting weight on him slowly. I told her it's going to be a long process since he was so sick and his body was so messed up. He's definitely getting enough food each day, with her cooking and feeding multiple times a day with canned and kibble and treats--he shouldn't have trouble finding food! I asked her to start doing weekly weight checks and see if we can't reverse the trend at this point. I sent her some fat ball recipes too that she's going to try.

So, in closing....can anyone tell us how when we can expect the weight to begin reapperaring? Thanks for reading and shedding any additional light on this for us...

Jennie

Guest Energy11

Glad to hear he is getting better! Did they ever figure out WHAT is causing this?

RE: weight gain. Pred will, as you noticed, make them eat, eat, eat, but it also makes them lose muscle mass. My Curfew lost A LOT of muscle mass on it, and looked much thinner.

I would say, eating well, and getting better, his weight will start to increase gradually, especially with a high calorie diet.

Sending love, hug, good luck and prayers to Chance!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lovemyhounds2

Sad news to report on Chance (aka "Champ"). It's taken me a week to get on here. He was improving every day for the last 2 weeks, he even did a meet and greet last Sunday! He was a happy, waggy, hungry boy until this past week. His foster mom said he woke her up at 1am Wednesday panting heavily and in pain. While she was on the phone with her vet, he lost control of his bowels all over....very dark and a smell like no other. It was followed by seizures. By the time she loaded him into the car to drive to the vet, he had passed. My heart broke when she was telling me this that morning--we were all so hopeful for him, and he seemed to be on the mend! So damn aggrevating!!! I felt so bad that she had to watch what he went through in the last hour. Having been in the vet practice, it never was easy, but usually the owners were spared that because the animal was with us. We cried to each other, and she's getting by. Sent me a photo of him the other day. Her grey girls miss him, and I hope no one else has to go through this. She picked up his ashes the other day, so he's home with her now. My heart goes out to foster mom 'B'...prayers that they will all heal. Hug and kiss your hounds tonight :beatheart

Liza

Guest Energy11

WOW! Sooo sorry to hear this! Please send her my love!

Sounds like a massive GI bleed. Our Dasher had this, and went immediately into shock.

At least Chance felt better, and had some good weeks, prior to this.

Again, please send our love and condolences!

Dee and The Five

I am so sorry to read this! My heart goes out to his foster mom.

God speed to you Chance. May all our Angels take care of you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry it turned out this way, and for everything B and Chance went through at the end. Please give her my heartful condolences. sad.gif

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh no! I'm so very sorry. My condolences to all who knew and loved Chance.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest kydie

I was at last Sunday's M&G with Champ, and he was looking greyt, his foster Mom was so proud of him, and he was beauty,,she took really good care of him, during his short stay with her :gh_run

He now is at the bridge with her Lilly

Edited by kydie

Guest PhillyPups

Oh no. I am so sorry for the sudden loss. Chance went in a home filled with love.

Run with the angels sweet Chance, you are with some of the very very best ~

Guest IrskasMom

I was just reading the "good " Update and now this .Very devastating .I am so sorry flowers_red.gifflowers_red.gif

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest lovemyhounds2

I was at last Sunday's M&G with Champ, and he was looking greyt, his foster Mom was so proud of him, and he was beauty,,she took really good care of him, during his short stay with her :gh_run

He now is at the bridge with her Lilly

Thank you! I know, she's had some rough times with fosters. She's a greyt foster mom, and person for giving him all her energies while she had him :)