Microchip

Guest bluefawn

Mine have all been microchipped. If Katie had not been microchipped, the shelter would not have called me to tell me someone brought her in. It was a kill shelter, and if they had not been able to get in touch with me, she would have been put down the next day. They don't have to be anesthetized or anything - the needle just goes under the loose skin between the shoulder blades.

Guest mcsheltie

We chip everyone. I do it myself. I like Home Again because you can manage your account & dog's profiles online. You can update any medical info and post a picture. We used to use AVID but you have to call in any changes and they charge you for each change.

Guest 4dogscrazy

I had all of mine chipped, four of them, all different ages with no problems! As with all shots, just make sure they don't see the needle coming and they will be fine. Mine are registered with AKC Car and I have not had any problems changing my information. I do advise logging in and checking your information after it is all done, mine had a typo which moved forward with 3 of my dogs (all done at different times). I had no problems fixing it, or contacting them by phone. I also ordered better, metal tags from them for a fairly low cost. I definately would check around, as stated above you wouldn't want to get into a program that charges you for changes. I will never own a dog again that isn't chipped! :)

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Guest Flysmom

Both of mine have the chip. Cisco took it like a big boy, Poncho cried and was bleeding pretty badly. Everytime I go to the vet I have them check for the chip.

Guest mcsheltie

I took one of my kittens in for her health certificate to fly and her chip had stopped reading. It had been inserted a month before when she got her rabies vax. So I have added that to the list of things I am paranoid about!

You'll have to decide for yourself if you feel the risk is worth the benefit. All four of mine are chipped and I wouldn't hesitate to do so to any further dogs I adopt. We use the Home Again company and have no complaints.

BUT - the adoption group I work with stopped chipping their adoptables after having two dogs bleed out after routine insertion. It's not common, but it can happen.

The needle is probably scarier for the person involved than the dog. I also have them check the transmission when we go in for routine medical stuff/shots. The chip can migrate due to the fact that greys have little body fat. Some have reported the chip moving down into the shoulder or chest area, whic could cause a problem if they don't scan that far down the body of a lost-n-found grey.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Liz_in_PA

In rural PA, the Humane Society does it for $20 at their vaccination clinics. I went this route rather than the vet because I figured the Humane Society would be the one to find him (her) and thus the chip would be readable by their scanners.

Dash yelped. Bonnie didn't say a word. Of course, she doesn't speak English...

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Thank you for starting this thread, I've been debating the issue. Nothing with Pete ever seems to go easy so I worried. Now I think I'll do it.

Guest BorzoiMom

If you want your pet back - microchip. Have it checked 2 weeks later to make sure it didn't slip out the hole (one of our clients returned when they found the chip in their black sheapherd's fur - the one and only time we've had that happen) We had people come in with a cat they had been keeping for 3 months, we scanned him, he had a chip, phone number didn't work. I let the people know the address and it's their neighbor. Lol, they've been keeping the neighbor's cat for 3 months! I personally found a cat that had a microchip but the adopters of the cat didn't update their information so he went home with a co-worker. (my cat is very aggressive with other cats)

If youre worried about pain at the injection site you can request an injection of lidicane prior to the chip. It may be an extra cost, but it may be worth it for you. :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I like mcsheltie help to actually do the injections for one of the groups I volunteer for. It is a large needle, yes sometimes they bleed, but it is subcutaneous, not intramuscular so not very painful for the hound. As most know, greyhounds are very stoic to pain, so when they are really in pain, you wouldnt really know. The one's that yelp, those sometimes are the drama queens & kings. I wouldnt hesitate at all to have your hound chipped.

Chad

Guest seanpgoodwin

Just got two chips put in today. $10 for the AVID chips. One was fine, the other yelped. I grabbed a handful of food and had them eat from my hand when the needle went in and they were fine. Agreed that it is much scarier for humans than the hounds.

my dude got chipped right next to me while i was doing the pre-adoption paperwork. he didn't even seem to notice! ...if only he could be so tough when i trim his nails :rolleyes:

All of mine are chipped with Avid - I wouldn't have it any other way. My group has the chip number as does my vet and my s/o. Their chip numbers are also on their tags if, godforbid, they should get away (some don't agree with this, but having lost a dog in the past it's my feeling that more information is better).

Edited to say...Welcome to GT!

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea is chipped with Home Again. She didn't let out a peep when it was done and had no problems afterward. We feel much better knowing that she has a chip in place since she can lose her collar easily when she's playing. We keep all our info. and her picture updated free online with Home Again.

Guest bluefawn

That's good! And the advice to have the vet's office scan the chips is a good idea. I never used to do that, and one day I was running my hands over Evan's shoulders, and felt his chip! It had migrated all the way down into his shoulder. Not good!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tphillips

I was wondering since we are on the topic if a dog could be implanted by multiple chips. I remember years ago when we microchipped my lab (9 years ago so this going back) that there was talk of using both Avid and home again. I remember that they both used at the time different reader types. That each clinic, animal control could be using either so there was a lot of debate on which one was best. I think the entire argument was that you could be sure that it would be read and get your animal back safe (not accidental put down etc). Has anyone recently heard of doing this now?

Guest eaglflyt

I believe they have universal type scanners at most places now that can read most any type of chip. At least I remember reading that somewhere, I believe.

We chip everyone. I do it myself. I like Home Again because you can manage your account & dog's profiles online. You can update any medical info and post a picture. We used to use AVID but you have to call in any changes and they charge you for each change.

How do you do it yourself?

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest mcsheltie

How do you do it yourself?

I buy the chips and put them in myself. It is done just like a vaccination. Why pay a vet to do it when you can buy then for $12 or less each.

Universal scanners are used now and read most chips. AVID, HA, ResQ (Bayer) & AKC are all covered by these scanners. The newer world scanners can read 125 different kind of chips, including all ISO chips.