General Malaise, Or What's Up With Luke?

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Ok, I'm trying not to be a worrywart mom here, but something's up with Luke. The maddening thing is, it's all so vague; just a bunch of tiny small things that are hard to point to.

The one big thing: Early this past week, Luke had a seizure. His bloodwork all came back ok, and his physical exam was fine. But before that, he was a bit off; since then, he's been a bit off.

He's a hard time getting up in the morning, sometimes. It's like he can't get his butt under him to stand. He heaves around a bit (and if I haul him up by his PJs, he wobbles) but if he lays there for a bit, then he can get up fine, like nothing was wrong.

Last night, Hubby texted me at work; Luke was shivering pretty hard, but wouldn't get up to get his jammies on. P covered him with a blanket and Luke crawled out from under it. I suggested rimadyl; half an hour later the shivering had mostly stopped. When I got home at 9, Luke was clingy-whining outside the bathroom door, following me from room to room, laying down almost on top of the desk chair, etc. This morning, he's not.

He's confused. He usually meets me at the bottom of the stairs, and then we all go to the kitchen to go out. This morning, he stayed by the front door, staring at the knob. We *never* let them out that door, for anything. Then, he followed me into the kitchen for breakfast, laid down on command, but when I walked away, so did he, without even checking his bowl. I had to take him back to his bowl. He laid down again, I released him and walked away, and he followed me again. The third time I just handed him his chicken leg and he ate it like the first five minutes never happened.

Am I worrying over nothing, or is there something possibly going on? If so, what? I trust Dr C to have done a thorough exam last week, but frankly, I'm torn between puzzled and worried. It seems like there's *something* going on, just nothing I can point at and say, "This is the problem." :riphair

Anybody have any thoughts on the matter, even if it's "Chill, you're being a worrywart?" :rolleyes:

Edited by FireHorse

Guest Energy11

Hummm....sounds like when Curfew came home after his "episode" in Sept, 2008. I call them "episodes," as they've never been diagnosed. Personally, I think he had a big clot-type stroke. Anyway, he was very wobbly for a few days, and also disoriented. He, too, followed me around, and looked to me for guidance.

Since that day, he's had four minor "episodes." He isn't totally "there," these days. When he wants to go out, sometimes, he'll just lie there and whine and whimper until WE decide that is what he needs, or if he wants to move from a certain bed to another, he will do the same, especially during the night.

Almost sounds like Luke has also had a little brain damage, like Curfew??? Also, his behavior COULD be leading up to another stroke/seizure. I have liquid Valium pre-loaded here in the house, in a syringe (15 mg), I can give rectally (needle off, syringe lubricated), which I DID use for Curfew's last "episode," and it really helped. Until you know what you are dealing with, might be a good idea to keep on hand, (just in case).

It does sound like Luke MIGHT have had a stroke, OR, if a seizure goes on long enough, there can be brain damage, due to lack of oxygen.

I'd report EVERYTHING you wrote here, to your vet, and see what he/she thinks. The ONLY true way to diagnose a stroke is an MRI, which is ridiculously expensive :-(

Sending love, hugs and may prayers your way! Dee and The Five

Edited by Energy11

You sound pretty rationally concerned to me--if your gut is telling you something's wrong, I'd keep pushing to get answers.

eta: I don't know anything about seizures/strokes in dogs, but my mom gets "off" in similar ways when she's had a really bad migraine--which for her means she's had a mini-stroke. So the previous poster's idea would be something I'd look into.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest FireHorse

I've now passed from puzzled to concerned. This morning, Luke was shivering so hard he was rattling his crate (and his teeth!) and panting besides. He's clingy (halfway under the desk as I type this) and when he walks, he's somewhat hunched up with his tail tucked. I'm beginning to wonder if that one out-of-whack liver enzyme isn't indicative of something more. I've given him tramadol, but if that doesn't help, then I don't know what. Obviously I'll be calling Dr C in the morning, but I guess my next question is, at what point does he need to go to the ER?

This would be much easier if he could talk and tell me what's wrong!

Sounds like he is clearly in pain. I am so not a fan of the e-vet, especially here, they know nothing at all about a GH. And I understand the expense going there, but if it were me, I would take him in

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I too would want to take him in and get some bloodwork started and an abdominal x-ray. Hoping it's just really bad gas or something similar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

Sounds like it's probably an after effect of the seizure. Does he have a seizure disorder, or was this an isolated event?

The panting and shaking, the uneasiness on rising, and the general confusion sound to me more like a neurological/cognitive issue than some type of pain issue necessarily.

None of mine have had a seizure, but I do have two seniors that are getting up there (just on the other side of 12 and 13, respectively) and they exhibit some of the same issues you're describing with your boy, who is (I think) seven. My 12 year old has had some of these cognitive issues (the zoning out, confusion, etc.) since around age 6 or 7 and about 4.5 years ago developed an odd wind phobia as well. He hasn't had a seizure AFAIK, but it's definitely cognitive and transient (comes and goes).

When I switched to raw feeding, he improved (sounds like you're already set there) and having exhausted the vet's suggestions, I tried a product called "Content Um." I'm not big on meds and supplements (I only used fish oil and glucosamine etc. for joint health), but this product has worked miracles for my old man and our rescue IG (who came terrified of people, emaciated, with fur missing, and came to me because no one in all breed rescue had sighthound or IG experience). It's just amino acids and some vitamins - mostly the things that the body burns through during times of stress. I expected the calming effect, but also noticed that my 12 year old has less shaking, confusion, etc. as well.

You can find it at Petco or online as well. I usually order from KVVet, but found it on sale at Jeffers recently. It's nothing that a raw fed dog isn't getting in his diet anyway, so I don't think it would hurt and it might help.

Guest Energy11

Hummm... does sound like pain. I know, I know... like everyone said, E-vets are ridiculously expensive, and some don't know a lot about greys, but the teeth chattering and hunching over really worry me.

I'd see about an abdominal x-ray, if possible. I mean, the Tramadol should be working. Poor Luke!

Sorry you are all going through this. Keep us posted!

Sending love and good thoughts! Dee and The Five.

I'd be worried too, but I am a worry wart :blush

I'd be inclined to take him in, if he isn't getting any better, but my local evet is pretty good, with some GH experience. I've never dealt with seizures, though.

Have you contacted Judy (JillysFullhouse)? There isn't anything about seizures she doesn't know.

Guest Downtownhoundz

I'm so sorry, I know how maddening it is trying to make that ER decision. I agree , it does sound like he's has discomfort somewhere. If you choose not to take him to the ER today, can you just lay with him someplace that is dark or quiet, to monitor him and /or symptoms?

Laying with him should help soothe him cause you're with him.Keep us posted! :grouphug

The panting and shaking, the uneasiness on rising, and the general confusion sound to me more like a neurological/cognitive issue than some type of pain issue necessarily.

You may very well be right, but the hunching over is discomfort

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Swifthounds

You may very well be right, but the hunching over is discomfort

If it's spinal, it could very well be both.

Guest FireHorse

Luke will be spending today with Dr C again. She wants to do some more bloodwork, and look more closely at that one out-of-whack liver enzyme.

In the end, the tramadol kicked in on Sunday, he settled down, and I elected to wait for Monday and our own vet. Unfortunately, I had a 'duh!'moment-he could have gone in yesterday, but he was actually interested in breakfast so I fed him. Oops. The bloodwork that Dr C wants to do is fasting, so he had to wait until today to go.

I have a bad feeling about this. If he's in enough pain that it takes tramadol to kick it, there's something seriously wrong. Think good thoughts that it's an easily fixable something wrong, please!

I'll update again this afternoon when he's back home.

:goodluck for Luke.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thinking about you and Luke today.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest FireHorse

We're back, and Dr C found...nothing. Liver function was fine (and that one enzyme was now normal as well), pancreatitis screen normal, no blood/sugar/protein/white blood cells in his urine. They x-rays came back clear; there's nothing in his gut but the last of last night's dinner; no stray washcloths, no stuffy fluff. No masses anywhere either. According to Dr C, he should be a healthy dog, except that he's clearly not.

Which, unfortunately, leaves neuro. The question is, was the seizure the start of it, or only the first symptom of whatever it is? Was this an atypical stroke or bleed of some sort? Dunno, but Dr C has faxed Luke's info to the neurologist in Yorktown, and I'll call tomorrow morning to make an appointment. In the meantime, since the tramadol seems to help, he's officially on it for the duration.

Does anyone have any in-depth info on canine neuro problems? I'd like to read up on it a bit before we go see the neurologist.

eta: He has an appointment next Monday morning.

Edited by FireHorse