Kevin

Kevin scared the s--t out of me last night; he went out after his dinner and I heard something outside the door. He was having a hard time getting through the dog door. I let him in and he ran into the den to his bed. He looked really disoriented...it was his eyes. At first he laid back and was looking up into the light and then his eyes started twitching and darting around. His pupils looked really dialated. I was sure he was having a seizure and was getting ready to pack him up for a trip to the evet. Then he settled down and went to sleep. Other than his circling a couple of times before he went in after our last out, he was fine. This morning, he looked good...ate all of his breakfast and went outside. A few minutes ago, I came in the den and he was looking at me with his head tilted and his eyes started doing that same thing, although not as bad as last night and his pupils didn't look dialated. He has settled down and is sleeping like a baby now. I've been reading up on vestibular this morning and everything he's doing points to that even though it sounds like more of a problem with older dogs. He just turned four. What would cause such a sudden onset? Ear infection maybe? I had a cat that went through it after surgery and he worked out of it within a few days. That was quite a few years ago but I don't remember the vet giving him anything for it. Has anyone else gone through something like this?

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Energy11

Yes, it could be vestibular, a seizure or stroke. All fit the description you gave.

Even at a young age, any of the above are possible. Something is going on, and if this keeps happening, a vet visit is in order today. I know, I know ... this stuff always happens on the weekends! If not, definitely see you vet tomorrow. I seriously doubt an ear infection would cause this, but, as I always say, I am not a vet.

It ALMOST sounds like what Curfew gets. I call them "episodes," as no one has ever diagnosed him, but I think they are mini-stokes, myself.

Sending love, hugs, good luck and lots of prayers! Dee and The Five

Edited by Energy11

Were the eyes darting side to side? That's nystigmus and often happens with vestibular episodes. One of my boys had vestibular episodes. Walked like a drunken sailor around in a circle. I think the vet said it make gradually increase in frequency but he didn't have another one. No medication needed. Very scary to see happen.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No suggestions, just hugs and fingers crossed he gets past whatever odd thing this is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's exactly what Gambler did when he had his stroke, but like Dee said, the signs you describe can be one of a few things.

Hoping for the very best

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Get his blood pressure check!

They very well could be strokes. I am very familiar with hypertension, and strokes (from my Pearl). Also, strokes could be cause by cancer. An insidious disease like hemagio or fibro sarcoma throw small clots before there are any other symptoms of cancer.

Please get the BP and maybe an ultrasound if you can afford it. If they turn out negative, then it most probably is vestibular and you can put your mind at ease.

I really hope it's nothing but maybe an inner ear problem.

Guest Energy11

Get his blood pressure check!

They very well could be strokes. I am very familiar with hypertension, and strokes (from my Pearl). Also, strokes could be cause by cancer. An insidious disease like hemagio or fibro sarcoma throw small clots before there are any other symptoms of cancer.

Please get the BP and maybe an ultrasound if you can afford it. If they turn out negative, then it most probably is vestibular and you can put your mind at ease.

I really hope it's nothing but maybe an inner ear problem.

EXCELLENT point! Curfew's blood pressure was 220/120 two different times at the vet. He is now on Enalapril 20 mg (blood pressure medicine). I take his BP twice a week, and it is always very good. Yes, strokes can come from many causes. HOPE that is not what it is, though.

I have spoken to my vet; he's going in first thing tomorrow morning. Other than a bit of a head tilt right now, he's quiet. His appetite is good and he doesn't seem wobbly...I think the tilt kind of throws his perception off a little but he's navigating well. I will ask to have his BP checked. This poor little guy has had such a rough time in his short life...he's had enough trauma so I really, really hope this is just an incident. I'll keep everyone updated.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Energy11

Glad you and Kevin are seeing the vet tomorrow. Sending you love, many hugs and lots of prayers for a good outcome! Curfew's MAJOR "incident" was Sept. 2008. It was HORRIBLE! He was unresponsive on my 37 -mile drive to the vet, and was pretty bad and out of it for days... he is still with us! He has DEFINITE brain damage, and still has small "episodes" ... but he is here.

Lots of love! Dee and The Five

Sending prayers that all of this resolves itself with no residual effects and no repeat episodes.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Still waiting to hear from the vet with the bloodwork results. His BP was normal. His ears looked good but it could still be an inner ear thing; Dr. Knight wanted to wait for the results before going into that. Apparently, there are a lot of things that could have caused this...one of them and the one I don't want to think about is a brain tumor. Please keep your fingers crossed that the bloodwork will turn up something that is easily treatable.

On the bright side, he's pretty much back to normal. The head tilt is just about gone and I haven't noticed anything different with his eyes all day. He was a very good boy for the vet...didn't even need his muzzle. I was proud of him.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear something.

siggie50_1.jpg

Guest Energy11

Glad he is feeling better today!!smile.gif

One of the things they thought Curfew had, was a brain tumor. too. Without an MRI, we cannot rule it out, but after all this time, more would have been happening, if it were one.

Based on the fact Kevin is so much better today, I'd say a stroke. Again, not being a vet, I am only going by all the symptoms. Dogs with clot-type strokes, tend to recover pretty fast.

Whether it was a stroke, or it is an inner ear problem, we send lots of healing thoughts for a full recovery to Keving!

Love, hugs and many prayers! Dee and The Five

Edited by Energy11

Guest bluefawn

Sending hugs and prayers from Miss Penny and me, that Kevin will get better soon! I hope it is something that is treatable. grouphug.gif

All blood work was normal. Back to square one. I'm not sure where to go from here.

siggie50_1.jpg