Uh Oh, I Think I Have A Mean Dog.

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

I'm pretty disappointed right now. I've had Arrisa for a month, and in that time I never had the opportunity to see her around other greyhounds.

We had a meet & greet today at Petco and I was so excited to bring her there to say hello to some friends. I thought she'd really enjoy it.

Well, she did one genial butt-sniff with a leashed male, then she growled the other three males who were in pens. We tried her again with the leashed male and she growled at him. We made a number of attempts but all she did was growl. She was clearly uncomfortable with the situation... tail between legs and shedding. We left because she was unhappy and I didn't want to make the dogs look bad. I know she lived with at least one other greyhound in her foster home, and they didn't mention anything to me about this kind of behavior.

We're starting a socialization program with a trainer, so hopefully the professional guidance will help, but I need some consolation. Has anyone had this problem? Did it get better? I'm feeling a combination of disappointment, fear, and guilt. :(

Oh, and here are some pictures of the very cute culprit:

18650_521911148938_22700019_30915999_4846825_n.jpg

16850_521375801778_22700019_30901686_2428756_n.jpg

4373912128_c4efbe622f.jpg

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this, but, Staggerlee is just like that, UNTIL he gets to know the other greyhounds he is around. In the beginning, I muzzle him (and no, I wouldn't do this in a meet and greet situation). Once he gets to know the other dogs, he is fine.

Maybe the best thing to do is take Arrisa around a FEW other greys, not in a meet and greet situation? M and Gs can be noisy, stressful, etc. and this was her first time going to one with you since you had her, right? I would muzzle her to start, like I do Staggerlee, and once she seems comfortable, not growling, etc., try with the muzzle off, but do keep her short on her lead.

My Goldie and Staggerlee are also "Greyhound Snobs!" They will go after ANY other breed that is NOT a greyhound, AND, they are not cat or small dog friendly. I have a few problem children, to say the least.

Hoping this all works out! Congrats on your new girl! She is BEAUTIFUL!

Hugs and good luck! Dee and The Five

Guest BellesDad

I wouldn't worry.Using a trainer and having her around more dogs, not necessarily Greys will get her socialized. A meet and grett can be stressful for any dog let alone a dog you have had a month. Dreamer has the same stuffie!

Guest Sunset123

Sorry to hear about this, but, Staggerlee is just like that, UNTIL he gets to know the other greyhounds he is around. In the beginning, I muzzle him (and no, I wouldn't do this in a meet and greet situation). Once he gets to know the other dogs, he is fine.

Maybe the best thing to do is take Arrisa around a FEW other greys, not in a meet and greet situation? M and Gs can be noisy, stressful, etc. and this was her first time going to one with you since you had her, right? I would muzzle her to start, like I do Staggerlee, and once she seems comfortable, not growling, etc., try with the muzzle off, but do keep her short on her lead.

My Goldie and Staggerlee are also "Greyhound Snobs!" They will go after ANY other breed that is NOT a greyhound, AND, they are not cat or small dog friendly. I have a few problem children, to say the least.

Hoping this all works out! Congrats on your new girl! She is BEAUTIFUL!

Hugs and good luck! Dee and The Five

Thank you. :) We will be trying out different situations, for sure. I knew there was a possibility she'd be a greyhound snob, but I was shocked that she was acting this way toward other greyhounds!

Guest GentleHugs

Yep - been there - done that and Jackie turned out to be the BEST dog I could ever have, too.

No one warned me about Jackie until I took her to a meet and greet, too, as a foster. She snapped, barked and growled at every single dog there. I had to muzzle her, leash her to me and stay at least 5 to 6 feet away from everyone else. I finally told the president of the group that it just wasn't fair to her or the others for her to act like that so I took her back home.

2 weeks later - we fell in love with her because I finally realized she was a very dominant girl. Tiny but dominant and the only dog she got along with was our senior male, Romeo. Sooooo..... we adopted her.

From that moment on, Jackie changed. She became better at being around other dogs to a point (she still did not care for the butt sniff ritual). She was very obedient, smart and quiet. She walked perfect on lead - everything. She wiggled her way into my heart and became my heart dog.

She was 5 when we adopted her. Sadly, we lost Jackie May 2007 from lymphosarcoma of the heart just 10 days shy of her turning 12.

There's hope for your baby..... there really is. Just be patient and understanding with Arrisa, work with her and praise her when she does well. She's still trying to work out everything that's new to her - a new home, new parents, new rules, new friends, etc. Everything to her is still kind of uncertain at this time and she can also pick up on how you are feeling as well. Think positive thoughts and she will come around.

If you want to read about Jackie, there's a link to her story in my siggie below. Just click on the name Jackie.

Good luck and congratulations on your adoption!

Guest Sunset123

I wouldn't worry.Using a trainer and having her around more dogs, not necessarily Greys will get her socialized. A meet and grett can be stressful for any dog let alone a dog you have had a month. Dreamer has the same stuffie!

Thank you, I'm hoping it all works out! :)

Arrisa LOVES her snuggie Kong. It's the only toy she's really enthusiastic about when she's indoors. I think she likes the way it feels in her mouth when she bites down on the rubber part.

Yep - been there - done that and Jackie turned out to be the BEST dog I could ever have, too.

No one warned me about Jackie until I took her to a meet and greet, too, as a foster. She snapped, barked and growled at every single dog there. I had to muzzle her, leash her to me and stay at least 5 to 6 feet away from everyone else. I finally told the president of the group that it just wasn't fair to her or the others for her to act like that so I took her back home.

2 weeks later - we fell in love with her because I finally realized she was a very dominant girl. Tiny but dominant and the only dog she got along with was our senior male, Romeo. Sooooo..... we adopted her.

From that moment on, Jackie changed. She became better at being around other dogs to a point (she still did not care for the butt sniff ritual). She was very obedient, smart and quiet. She walked perfect on lead - everything. She wiggled her way into my heart and became my heart dog.

She was 5 when we adopted her. Sadly, we lost Jackie May 2007 from lymphosarcoma of the heart just 10 days shy of her turning 12.

There's hope for your baby..... there really is. Just be patient and understanding with Arrisa, work with her and praise her when she does well. She's still trying to work out everything that's new to her - a new home, new parents, new rules, new friends, etc. Everything to her is still kind of uncertain at this time and she can also pick up on how you are feeling as well. Think positive thoughts and she will come around.

If you want to read about Jackie, there's a link to her story in my siggie below. Just click on the name Jackie.

Good luck and congratulations on your adoption!

Thank you so much, that makes me feel much better. :)

My Zippy is like this with dogs she doesn't know, but she's fine with her 3 housemates. She just isn't a meet-and-greet kind of girl, but she's a precious old girl otherwise.

Rainy was like that at her very first Meet and Greet about 2 months after we got her. She even snarked/lunged at her former foster sister! :blink: I was just as stressed out as you but everyone at the rescue told me to relax and everything would fall into place and it did. She eventually figured out how to meet other dogs on leashes and she can go into any Xpen with any other hound now. Your not alone and try not to stress a bit too much. Maybe she thought she was going back to the rescue and didn't want to give up her cushy spoiled new life? Just be watchful and correct her for any growling. Also try not to put her in situations where she is uncomfortable and has to growl. Watch her body language and remove her way before she gets to the defensive growly point. She'll eventually figure it out and get that you are there to protect her and she doesn't have to do it herself.

------

Jessica

I didn't read the replies so if this has already been said I'm sorry.

Please try to remember that a dog's behavior can be very different on a leash. This doesn't mean she's a mean dog at all

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest IrskasMom

I agree with Claudia , with on and of Leash. Today we went to to a M & G in Annapolis from GPA Maryl. There were at least 8 or 9 Dogs there. Suddenly my Morty was right in the middle all tangeled up in the Leashes.For the first time he was civilized around other Dogs :yay

You have a Beautiful Girlie there, she will come around in time :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Guest Sunset123

Rainy was like that at her very first Meet and Greet about 2 months after we got her. She even snarked/lunged at her former foster sister! :blink: I was just as stressed out as you but everyone at the rescue told me to relax and everything would fall into place and it did. She eventually figured out how to meet other dogs on leashes and she can go into any Xpen with any other hound now. Your not alone and try not to stress a bit too much. Maybe she thought she was going back to the rescue and didn't want to give up her cushy spoiled new life? Just be watchful and correct her for any growling. Also try not to put her in situations where she is uncomfortable and has to growl. Watch her body language and remove her way before she gets to the defensive growly point. She'll eventually figure it out and get that you are there to protect her and she doesn't have to do it herself.

You're right. Thank you.

Guest arlosmom

I have had Jewel over two years. She never growled at the two greys I already had when I got her but she does not like other greys or any other kind of dog. She growls at meet and greets, she growls at play day. There is only one other female dog that she tolerated and that is because we continued to expose the two of them to each other muzzled until she accepted her. Sad to say her one and only friend went to the bridge this fall. We got a new dog in May last year and she has excepted him with the exception of when he tried to climb in bed with her and she lets him know her space is her own. She does not play at play group. She stands by the fence in the corner.

With that said. She is the sweetest greytest dog you could ask for. She adores my husband, he is very obedient and has been a therapy dog. Loves her humans, strangers and kids. She just doesn't like other dogs and for what ever the reason I respect that. I love her so dearly. I could leave he home when we go to grey play but I take her and just let her be her little witchy self. Mostly she follows my husband around. I don't think she will ever change but I love her despite of it.

Edited by arlosmom

Time and the bottle! Routine and time will help,or you may hit the bottle. M&G are stressfull. Electric doors popping open,children screaming,roar of scared dogs back in the grooming closet. My spook still needs a harness at M&G after a year.......But today at Parade of Greys HE made me proud. Many that knew him before thought he was a new foster. We maybe had 100+ dogs in a park with 72 degree weather,at last. Oh, and not one fight broke out.

Yep, Fletcher is very leash aggressive with dogs he doesn't know, sometimes even other greys, and any non greyhounds. However, we have learned how to manage him so that we can do greyhound only activities (no m&g for us) and even foster!

She was probably growling because she was unsure with the new situation and strange dogs. She will get better!

She'll come around. Some dogs, especially females don't like being sniffed "there".

I'd continue to bring her, but keep her a bit away so she can determine how close she wants to get.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My little Echo is that same way. We kept her home for quite a few months because of it. Finally my friend convinced me that Echo needed to be in strange situations. We have found that she will not tolerate other breeds at all so we don't even try. With Greyhounds, we have found that if we keep her back ten feet or so, she will gradually want to approach and if (and that's a big if) she can get to the rear for some sniffing before she has to encounter the face, she will be just fine. A pointy nose in her face before she's ready sends her into extreme growly mode.

But, she does go to meet and greets and she is ok there. It's not the happiest thing she does and she is worn out when they're over but people like to see her. She's delicate and looks like she needs someone to take care of her. She even got a contribution once because she was so upset after a bee sting.

Guest isntitgreyt

I have had the same problem with Foxy. She is wonderful at home with my other 2 and with my fosters. No problems at dog parks or open public places. But get her in a store for a M&G and she wants not part in it. She has growled at other GH's and small dogs. I have a small dog at home that's her BF! I don't take her to indoor M&G's but I do to outdoor ones where she's fine. Foxy does not like being sniffed there by any dog.

Guest Dragonmom

Sounds like my Winnie. With the only exception being Ava, another grey, Winnie dis-likes any dog not in her pack. She did for the most part get along with Jiffer's pack but she spent 5 days there.

Guest PhillyPups

Not every dog is a M&G dog. Sounds like she is not comfortable there. I would try getting together with one or two other greys and walking them muzzled and seeing how she does, then gradually taking them to a fenced area and letting them run (still muzzled). She is still adjustng to a whole new world and some are more reserved while they adjust.

Let us know how the behaviorist works out.

Guest KennelMom

she may have been overwhelmed by the situation. I can think of lots of reasons for the growls....besides, a growl is not aggression. It's a vocalization. In the context of the situation, she probably behaved exactly as you would want her too....if she's nervous about new people or dogs, a growl us MUCH preferred over a snap or bite. It is precisely HOW she should warn those around her that she's not comfortable. Dogs can't say "Hey, get out of my space" and the leash prevents them from leaving on their own (and they know that).

Also, if you were nervous that will travel right down the leash and tell her that she should be nervous too. She may have just been responding to the energy around her.

Being put on a leash and then asked to just stand around strange dogs and people is not something most greyhounds have had to do. Turn out pens are an unleashed situation...most greys do well with that. (and on leash vs off leash is HUGELY different to a dog). Getting ready to race does involve being leashed, but there is a purpose. They are typically being led from here to there in an environment and routine they've learn to be accustomed to. I've often thought that greyhounds must think meet and greets are the strangest things we ask them to do - leave the comfy house to go stand or lay on a hard, slippery floor while lots of strangers and strange dogs pass by and occasionally let these total strangers invade their space.

Fortunately for humans, most dogs are infinitely patient with us ;)

Edited by KennelMom

As others have said, might be just that she is not a M&G dog. I'd let her settle in with you and take her to some other activities where there is more space between doggies before trying a M&G again.

I have one who does not like being sniffed up by strange dogs. She's mellowed some over the years but if I take her to an event I make sure that she is not crowded or cornered, and if she starts to get tense I take her for a little walk away from everybody.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have one who does not like being sniffed up by strange dogs. She's mellowed some over the years but if I take her to an event I make sure that she is not crowded or cornered, and if she starts to get tense I take her for a little walk away from everybody.

Ditto...

Mindy is the same way, she hates being sniffed. It's ok that she sniffs butts & as long as she wants, but,

Nobody is allowed to sniff the "Fun Police", it's against the law & you don't want the wrath of Mindy's teeth

clamping on your nose! :lol

Guest Sunset123

As others have said, might be just that she is not a M&G dog. I'd let her settle in with you and take her to some other activities where there is more space between doggies before trying a M&G again.

No one actually tried to sniff her except for the dog she was sniffing and that interaction was fine. She growled when the dogs in the pens looked at her.

Many greyhounds (maybe all kinds of dogs, I don't have much other breed experience) don't like strange dogs getting in their face. Butt sniffs, fine, face time, not so much! I know the other dogs were just looking at her, but if she was feeling insecure, that could be enough. Give her time and respect what she feels uncomfortable with. She'll relax, but may not be a good m&g dog.

I love Heather's (KennelMom) description of m&gs from the dogs point of view :lol

Guest Sunset123

Many greyhounds (maybe all kinds of dogs, I don't have much other breed experience) don't like strange dogs getting in their face. Butt sniffs, fine, face time, not so much! I know the other dogs were just looking at her, but if she was feeling insecure, that could be enough. Give her time and respect what she feels uncomfortable with. She'll relax, but may not be a good m&g dog.

I love Heather's (KennelMom) description of m&gs from the dogs point of view :lol

Yeah, I'm hoping it was just because it was a strange situation. And it's true that she was just growling and not snapping, lunging, or snarling, so I'm grateful.

I had taken her to the large pet stores to practice being in that environment (she doesn't tend to mind being there-- her tail wags all over the place because she loves meeting all the people), but I guess I didn't account for the other scary factors. Now that I think about it, the one other time I heard her growl like that was when we were on a walk and there was an unleased dog behind a fence in a yard that was looking at her. I guess the males in the pens were very similar.