Colder Temps And Greyhounds

Guest katieandpadfoot

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi have 2 greyhounds....I've had them for 2 years now and have always wondered at what temp is it to cool to have your house at...I currently keep it at 67 degrees....they seem fine with this but I still worry....at what temp is best for a greyhound...and when should I consider pj's for them...?

We keep our house at 65. In the evening, if it feels chilly, I supplement with wood heat or a room space heater. At night I have the thermostat set at 60. Not sure if it really gets down to that temp or not, but heat does come on in the AM to warm up. Anyways, Opie sleeps in fleece house coat type jammies and he is very comfortable. I have flannel ones when it is a bit warmer. Back in December, when we had our real cold spell up here, Opie was still wearing the flannel jammies. He was very restless at night, digging in his bed. I gave him a big quilt to snuggle in and put on the warmer fleece jammies, and he has been snug as a bug in a rug (or a greyhound in jammies in a bed!). If your pups are sleeping, and not seeming unfortable (read - COLD!) by digging or being restless, or waking you up (another thing Opie was doing - Mom, I'm cold!) then they are probably OK. If you have the jammies, put them on and see if they seem to like them, and sleep better.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

We keep our house at 65. In the evening, if it feels chilly, I supplement with wood heat or a room space heater. At night I have the thermostat set at 60. Not sure if it really gets down to that temp or not, but heat does come on in the AM to warm up. Anyways, Opie sleeps in fleece house coat type jammies and he is very comfortable. I have flannel ones when it is a bit warmer. Back in December, when we had our real cold spell up here, Opie was still wearing the flannel jammies. He was very restless at night, digging in his bed. I gave him a big quilt to snuggle in and put on the warmer fleece jammies, and he has been snug as a bug in a rug (or a greyhound in jammies in a bed!). If your pups are sleeping, and not seeming unfortable (read - COLD!) by digging or being restless, or waking you up (another thing Opie was doing - Mom, I'm cold!) then they are probably OK. If you have the jammies, put them on and see if they seem to like them, and sleep better.

Ditto at this house too!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Being desert dogs.; :lol I've noticed my girls get lathargic when it is around 80 in the house. So my electric bill in the summers here (ave. day temps outside 100+ everyday for 6 months) show it. I keep the indoor temps around 75 during the day and at night around 68. They are fine at that. If I get it any cooler they seem to get jacked up and turn into little bundles of "let's keep Dad awake by doing zoomies in the house" :lol

Not sure that really answers the question. But seems the experience I've had with my greys around 70 degrees give or take a few degrees works great for them

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest DundeeToddsMom

We keep ours at 68 during the day, then drops to 66 at night when we go to bed. Two greys get covered by blankies, but Todd doesn't like blankies. He sleeps between me & DH for warmth! :wub:

Guest Energy11

I HATE heat, and cannot stand temps above 65. We run our heat from 62-65, except days like this. UGH. Too warm for January! Anyway, the dogs do well with the above temps. DH doesn't, but he is a "weeny" when it comes to the cold :-( When it was REALLY cold a few weeks ago, the pack slept in their coats. TOO soon for Spring!

Guest twhitehouse

Our house is at 67 at night while we're home. We just wear sweatshirts and cover up with a blanket. The house is 63 when we're gone during the day. Lexi usually wears her house coat, or snuggles up in our bed all day and she seems fine and content.

I think dogs will adapt to just about any moderate temp. I keep my house at 60 degrees and my hounds are fine. In the summer I keep the A/C at 80.

Keep in mind that greyhounds in their racing/kennel days are often not kept in temperature controlled environments. I visited a greyhound farm once when it was 98 degrees and saw lots of dogs in their outdoor runs and seemed quite happy and comfortable. They had pools and shaded areas of course.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I use wood heat; when the temp drops to 60 I light a fire in the woodstove. We try to keep the house between 60-65. In the summer, we all melt; no central air but there are not many days that we need it. I have a room air conditioner in my bedroom and if we gwt an awful heat wave we hang out in that room. Mine are very adaptable to temp. variations; I believe they can be acclimatized to almost any conditions.

We don't usually use jammies in the house; unless we have a really cold snap. But I keep some in our travel trailer for cold nights under the stars! I think that it's important to keep a close eye on your dogs in any temperature extremes and learn the signs of heat stress, especially. Be prepared for emergencies; in the summer when we go to outdoor events, coursing, etc... we always keep a cooler with bottled water, ice, and towels.

My central heating is set at 18.5 C (=65.3 F), which Doc seems very comfortable with. It goes off at night, and again he is normally comfortable with that, but he does have a housecoat which came out for overnight use during our recent snowy spell. I know when it's too cold for him he will start getting up in the night and shaking himself.

Feeling their ears is also a good way of checking - cold ears=cooling dog!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

68 round the clock.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom

Keep the house around 62-65. Soul get cold so he wears his jammies for bedtime. Last night I forgot to put them on and boy did I get a 'stare down' until I realized my mistake :lol

In the winter the temp in my house is between 60 and 70 at night and during the day it's usually up to 75, but I don't use heat during the day because it just naturally gets up to 70-75 and occasionally 80 here in Az. In the summer I keep the temp about 75-80ish or 85ish. My hounds adjust well to all those temps!