Any Vets Available Please Help Asap-New Adoption & Afraid He Won&#

Guest WorriedGreyAunt

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

FYI - Charlotte satellite of Greyhound Friends of NC has contacted Spartan's owner. Spartan was adopted direct from a local Speciality Hospital who uses greyhounds as blood donors. We are working with Michelle to review Spartan's blood work and direct them to a greyhound savy vet.

I am very happy to hear this.

Me too. hope.gif

I, too, agree, that something is VERY wrong here. Getting the local adoption group involved was an EXCELLENT idea! As one of the other posters mentioned, this is why is it always a good idea to go through an adoption group. They have backgrounds on all the dogs, and their health records.

Sending love, hugs and good luck to Spartan and your family!

I'm so glad someone has stepped up to help these people. Hopefully we'll hear good news soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sending prayers for a quick recovery. Please keep us updated.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

FYI - Charlotte satellite of Greyhound Friends of NC has contacted Spartan's owner. Spartan was adopted direct from a local Speciality Hospital who uses greyhounds as blood donors. We are working with Michelle to review Spartan's blood work and direct them to a greyhound savy vet.

Glad to hear you all are involved now and helping out Spartan's owners.

Michelle and Spartan are in good hands with you all helping them out.

:hope :hope for Spartan

Guest Rachelw

Oh what a horrible thing to have happen, I hope he pulls through.

One thing to keep in mind is that kidney failure in dogs can come on quite quickly or show signs quickly so might not be the hospitals fault with that.

But best wishes and good luck!

Thank you Linda and Lynda with GFNC-Charlotte for stepping up to help Spartan.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

OMG! Thank goodness for GT! Sending powerful prayers for Spartan! :candle Please update when you can.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Spartan spent the night at the evet having more tests. A different vet is working with the owner and going over previous tests and current tests. Hopefully will have news today.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest 4dogscrazy

Oh this is just a horrible situation! Big hugs from PA to all of you! I just wanted to say that it is common to use greyhounds as blood donors, their unique blood levels make them ideal for all types of work. In our very small town, we have a business that makes the tests tubes that vets use for bloodwork. Consequently, they need to run their own tests on the tubes before they ship out. Our local adoption group has a working agreement with them and we use the hounds all the time. My good friend works there, and sometimes we use my own dogs if necessary. This has never caused any problems with the dogs, as far as I can tell. I would assume they are following guidelines and not overusing the dogs. I have to assume that because it sounds like an organized hospital with an adoption process that seems to mirror regular adoption groups (the background checks and whatnot). It's hard not to judge just by hearing the story!! Anyway, hopefully you will hear better news today, and Spartan will start to feel much better soon! We all feel her pain, and it really doesn't matter how long you've had your pup, it's horrible when this happens. If it turns our he does have some medical problems, this is one of the best sites for information and advice! Please keep us updated!

Guest hlpnhounds

Skip the bashing of the hospital until you actually know the entire story and keep the responses to something useful for the adopter and her dog (and sister).

Amen to THAT.

After reading the OP, I thought there was some mis-information passed along. Or at least incomplete information. It is likely that the dog was kep at the hospital for an extended period of time as a "resident" blood donor. Many hospitals do that. It's not an uncommon practice.

Most blood donor programs also involve extensive health screens before the animal is allowed to become a donor and then perodically after that. Of my 2 hounds, only one qualified to become a blood donor where I work. Logan tested positve for several blood factors that many dogs have reactions to when the blood is used so he does not donate.

Since the screening is normally done on at least a yearly basis, I would lean toward the dog having picked up something since the adoption.

It is also unlikely that the dog was adopted out by the hospital because it had a problem. It is more likely that this dog that was earlier retired from the racetrack has now retired from the blood donor program due to age. Our canine donors fit the guidelines of having passed the blood screening process, being between 2 and 7 years oldand 50#'s or more.

While I might tend to think that the hospital would be providing services at a discounted rate for any pet that was adopted through them--not just one that has an alleged known problem as is suggested by some of the previous posts. (and maybe they are....we do not know the whole story) I would not expect them to treat the dog for free unless the new owner opted to relinquish ownership back to the hospital and move along which I don't think is likely to happen.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Guest spider9174

Skip the bashing of the hospital until you actually know the entire story and keep the responses to something useful for the adopter and her dog (and sister).

Amen to THAT.

After reading the OP, I thought there was some mis-information passed along. Or at least incomplete information. It is likely that the dog was kep at the hospital for an extended period of time as a "resident" blood donor. Many hospitals do that. It's not an uncommon practice.

Most blood donor programs also involve extensive health screens before the animal is allowed to become a donor and then perodically after that. Of my 2 hounds, only one qualified to become a blood donor where I work. Logan tested positve for several blood factors that many dogs have reactions to when the blood is used so he does not donate.

Since the screening is normally done on at least a yearly basis, I would lean toward the dog having picked up something since the adoption.

It is also unlikely that the dog was adopted out by the hospital because it had a problem. It is more likely that this dog that was earlier retired from the racetrack has now retired from the blood donor program due to age. Our canine donors fit the guidelines of having passed the blood screening process, being between 2 and 7 years oldand 50#'s or more.

While I might tend to think that the hospital would be providing services at a discounted rate for any pet that was adopted through them--not just one that has an alleged known problem as is suggested by some of the previous posts. (and maybe they are....we do not know the whole story) I would not expect them to treat the dog for free unless the new owner opted to relinquish ownership back to the hospital and move along which I don't think is likely to happen.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I was thinking the same thing. Let's think clearly here, do the best we can to help the adopter, and wait for the facts.

Updates please, for me not being the nicest grey owner on the block, when it comes to my dogs, :angry: I would start raising he@@ :angryfire , and contcat everyone I could, if something caused this issue, then someone should know, so this doesn't happend to another grey, :bugeye but that's another story, the pup, how is he? :cry1

Edited by kydie