Hoping I Am Very Wrong.

Guest Shana

Just to give you all the right impression of me (lol) when I say "pack leader theory" in my mind, I mean I am alpha and you listen to me.

Not necessarily heavy handed, mean tone, snapping the leash etc etc. Just that I am the boss.

Positive training is definitely what I have in mind. I will NOT be aggressive to a dog that is a sensitive one. I believe I can change my technique to the dog in question. And oh my, I certainly know greys are not as willing to please as a border collie. Like I mentioned, this is totally for the safety of the dog, and basic control when needed.

(I hope I am not rubbing off on you all the wrong way. This is why I hate the internet and not face to face conversation)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest iconsmum

Yes, I am mainly looking to teach commands that EVERY dog should know for their safety. These include "stay" "heel/dont pull" "come" "down" "leave it" and "wait". If my dog can succsessfully learn those, I will be happy with that. I would be devastated if I had a poorly behaved dog (any breed), or if not knowing a simple command caused an injury or death. To me, obedience (commands I listed above) when asked is an absolute must.

Thanks everyone for your input, it makes me feel better! I was really hoping I didnt have to scratch this breed off my list over this worry.

More advice/input still welcome!!

I'm a trainer...there's no difference between the ability of a greyhound to learn and that of any other dog provided that your training ability is versatile and geared to the (breed of) dog you're currently working with. My golden and my greys are equal in obedience but the length of time it took to get them there was different, that's all. There's nothing magic about teaching a hound stay and wait and heel and off - "don't pull" is too many words and is better replaced with "easy". Personally, I teach people to forget the army-like word "command" and think in terms of "cue" because that's what it really is -you're not commanding behaviour from the dog, you're cue-ing him to do what you've spent the appropriate time teaching him to do. Keeps him set up for success. Might be a good idea to find a really experienced positive reinforcement trainer to show you the ropes before you get a dog.

Shana, I have a video of my dogs taking treats. In it I ask Carmen and Steak to "jump" and they do it. I have all 5 of them with me and noone gets snarky or pushy with me or each other. I ask for and demand respect (the Alpha that I think you are trying to say).

Video

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest mickie37

It is such a joy to work with dogs and help them to learn new behaviors. I think my bond with my dogs has improved because we spend a lot of time doing things together. Some of the dogs learn quickly and others are not as motivated so it takes more patience and experimentation to achieve a goal.

The grey's that have lived with me have all been capable of learning a lot of things. Their vocabulary increases weekly as they become accustomed to being pets; wait, here, cookie, Potty? out, leash, are just a few examples. They learn traffic rules; stop at the cross walk until I signal them to go.

Take your dog to a training class and you will know if he enjoys all the treats and pats he gets for learning something new.

Good Luck.

Guest RocketDog

Mine all know basic house commands just from living with me. I am very vocal and talk to the dogs constantly, and between the repetition and body cues (saying 'move' or 'back up' while pushing the dog out of the way with a soft knee, saying 'wait' while barring their way with an arm, that kinda thing) but obedience commands or 'tricks' took longer because the dogs don't see the point at first - like another poster mentioned it's all about finding what motivates them. Mine all know sit, down, beg, up, down, wait, come, etc. reliably in the house, and all but 'come' outside :rolleyes:

Just to add my experiences to the list: I worked a lot with my first two greyhounds and they both learned sit, down, come, stay, twirl (turn around on rug when coming in from outside to help reduce muddy pawprints), move, out (of the kitchen or dining room), left (walk on my left), and different walk speeds, for when I was jogging or if it was okay to just mosey. I've probably forgotten some other cues.

I've gotten lazy with the more recent dogs, but everybody still knows come, down, stay, move, left, and out. They know not to jump up on people. Everybody has learned to accept nail cutting and ear cleaning. All have learned to use the dog door, except Scout, who refused to go out the door. Everybody knows not to counter surf right in front of me, although I've never been successful in completely banning it.

I use almost all positive reinforcement. Eve, my first grey, also needed neck-scruffing on a very few occasions(recommended by Kathleen Gilley of the Dancing Greyhounds fame -- no physical harm, just a reminder of who's boss) to reinforce acceptance of nail trimming and no counter surfing. Scout could also be extremely stubborn, but the other three have been eager to please. I should be doing more work with Romie -- he's very smart, learns from just one "no," and would probably enjoy more attention and work.

Most retired racing greys come with some basic manners, and it's easy to expand on that. You'll enjoy working with your greyhound and having the best behaved dog around.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest IHeartDogs

All the dogs I've fostered come when I call, this is obviously without huge distractions going on.

I have been able to get their attention with a treat or just by putting a leash on their collar, they instantly know that a leash means "move", then you can proceed to teach "move" with the treat and slowly ween the treat.

I've been able to teach either sit or down with all of them (some just do KNOT want to sit, lol)

They all will respond or listen to your command with time, patience and treats :)

This may sound totally off the wall, and of course is just my opinion, but I really don't think a Greyhound is a breed for you

Can you back up your opinion with an honest reason? Because yeah it does seem totally off the wall

To make things more clear: I am NOT looking for a people pleasing, do everything for me border collie or lab. I have been researching greys for longer than some people think, and I am very aware they are not all willing to make you happy 100% of the time. I am very aware that they would rather be sleeping. I am very aware they are SIGHThounds (and thus never offleash). I know they will listen when they want to. I am willing to be sensitive in my training. I will be happy if all they ever learn is "come| "down" "wait"(for feeding time, going through doors, and at crosswalks) and "dont pull(the leash)".

This basic control is what I am looking for... and many people (in this thread) have given me proof that their dogs can do it.

I am aware I have to be patient and gentle with these dogs.

But I do want a dog who will listen to me when asked. I will demand thier respect, and other users (Kamsmom) does the same....

So please, tell me why you think I am not good for this breed.

Edited by Shana

For us, not crapping on the floor is all the training we require.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif THAT sums it up best!

But also....that they CAN learn. It's up to you HOW MUCH. Just knowing that I am giving him a life of comfy couches, snuggling in bed, and walkies/dog parks <---- DP's trump food even!! .....and a loving environment, makes adopting a Greyhound the best thing on earth.

Although I'd recommend a Grey b/c I'm obsessed (and this is only after 4 mos!!!rolleyes.gif ), I think rescuing ANY breed or mutt is the most wonderful thing you can do. They will thank you in more ways than you can count.

Best of luck!!!! :)

Guest ThunderPaws

I think a greyhound IS the right breed for you, since you stated that you don't expect your dog to be a champion in obedience, but know some commands/cues to make your life together easy, safe and fun.

So yes, I'd say go for it!! :colgate

Guest 4greytful

Greyhounds can be trained as much as you are willing to enforce. Mine know the bare basics, enough to keep them safe and out of trouble, but none of the cutesy tricks that I have taught other dogs in the past. A greyhound will show you an abundance of unconditional love and and will melt your heart with their soft doe eyes that allow you to see deep into their inner soul. To me they have paid their dues and have earned their retirement. They are a very loving and forgiving companion. They are sensitive to your moods, and do not need harsh reprimands, as they love to please. If this is what you are seeking in a dog, then a greyhound would be a wonderful companion for you.

If you're looking for a dog that can basically be easy to live with in a polite home, then that would apply to most greyhounds. That is what I want of my dogs, and I have actually found retired racing greyhounds to be easier in that respect than working breeds. After age 2-3, they don't have as much energy as your average boxer, lab, rottie, border collie, etc. And in training/racing life, they *have* learned certain things. Most respond to the universal interrupt, "AAH!" or "Uh-uh." They've been vetted and groomed. They've had to walk decently on leash (although exciting circumstances can make that training disappear temporarily :lol ).

On the other hand, they don't know things like how to go up and down stairs. The bathroom arrangements and lack of schedule for a hound in a human household are foreign to them. Who goes to the bathroom all alone, on a leash? Or even in a yard? Alone? Whenever? EEK! The notion that they can't just take things from counters, shelves, cupboards that they can open, etc. is foreign. The idea that some things which they can reach must not be chewed upon -- who thought that up????! Some may have been encouraged to put their paws on people's shoulders; others may not have been encouraged, exactly, but never discouraged either. Most of those things are fairly easy to address by a combination of environmental management and training. Note that little word "combination," though ......

The "I don't give a flip what you think" is a basic hound thing. Maybe more pronounced in sighthounds than other hounds, but still quintessential hound.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

With just one, it could be easier to try and train them to do the basic commands you mention. However, some may take longer. You will want to choose you hound carefully...a spook can take months to even look at you, much less try and learn something like "sit". They're not like puppies...most of them don't come with a "clean slate". I've not tried to teach any of mine tricks but they (except for Kevin and he's pretty new to the family) know enough to keep life normal and safe around here. They know when I'm serious about something and what makes me happy or proud of them and that's pretty much all I ask. I adopted these guys to let them live out their retirement in a good, comfortable home with lots of love and attention. It doesn't bother me if they don't sit when I ask. That's just me.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest sweetpea

When I signed Sweetpea and myself up for a basic obedience class,

all my non-dog owning friends asked "why? Is she misbehaving?"

Nope, not even a little bit, I had just realized that I wasn't very good at communicating with her.

We passed the class with flying colors, once I realized that she liked to sit on grass or carpet ONLY.

It wasn't a matter of stubbornness, she just felt more secure on a surface that she could have traction on.

No traction = no sit.

My instructor was great, she made the class fun, and Sweetpea and I had a blast.

She heels, sit/stays, down/stays, she comes when called*, she knows "leave it", "wait", "up" (as in up on the bed,

or up into the car), "go floor" (as in get off the bed, or couch).

*I should clarify, she comes when called in the house, but off-leash, her recall flat-out stinks.

It's as if when the leash comes off, a switch turns off. I could be dressed

in a baloney and kibble over-coat, she doesn't see me, she doesn't hear me until she's finished with whatever

it is she thinks she needs to do. (Which usually consists of trotting around the perimeter of the off-leash area.)

She's not high-prey at all (thank goodness), and we don't go to the off-leash park anymore anyway.

(She only runs on grass, I know, what a prima-donna, but none of our parks are grassy, so they're pointless for us.)

I'm not a big fan of the "alpha" model, never have been, even when I had a "tougher" dog. I saw somebody on GT use

the phrase "benevolent leader and dispenser of kibble" which is definitely more my style.

I understand the idea of "being the boss" to keep your pet safe, I just like a former poster's 'cue' versus 'command'

analogy better.

Good luck, keep asking questions, we love talking about ourselves and our houndies!

Buzzy

Thank you to everyone who helped prove my impression WRONG!! It makes me incredibly happy and excited all over again for the day I adopt.

I've come to learn that A- nothing is truly impossible

B- I will need lots of patience and time

C- I have lots on my plate tongue.gif

D- greyhounds are THE BEST

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Edited by Shana

Guest BlackandBrindle

These are the commands that Spud knows:

Up

Off the Bed

Wait

Sit

Lay Down

Go Lay Down

Shake

Speak

Touch

Find It

Look at Me

Come (although we only do this in house and in enclosed areas- never off lead in an unfenced area!)

Roll over

High Five

Sadie knows most of those as well but isn't as reliable with them.

Any dog you get will be as trained as you want him/her to be. With any dog it's just about finding their motivation. Some are more challenging than others. Spud is a real people pleaser and he picks up on things really quickly. Sadie knows how to do it but she's more stubborn and it takes different things to get her excited about training.

this may be repeat, as i didnt really read all the replies. but i have found although my Taj wasnt the star of clicker class, he was def the least hyper, the quietest and i did learn how to teach him anything. (i havent, but i know how :) i find classes are really to teach the owner how to train the pups. it may take longer, but they will get it if you put into it. he knows how to stay, sit, lay down, come (most of the time.. but again, hes always on a leash or in a fence) and he never pulls on a leash.

stubborn!! wow he is stubborn. but he is the best behaved stubborn dog i have ever had :)

So please, tell me why you think I am not good for this breed.

That isin't what I said

So then if I am good for the breed, why isn't the greyhound good for me? blink.gif

I've read the whole thread and just want to add my two cents worth.

I have 8 greys - all well behaved but none are "obedient" in the classic sense. They all learned basic manners very quickly - some of the commands you mentioned. Some of the other commands just seem to be beyond them and it is this free-spiritedness that I love about the breed. However, I do have one that has learned all sorts of tricks and commands.

My advice, make sure that your adoption group knows what is truly important to you so that they can direct you to the right dog - you want my steady Sam, not my spinny Zinny! There are lots of different personalities out there so as long as they really understand what you want in your hound, they will find the right match for you.

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

If you feel very strongly about this statement:

I dont know how well I will be able to deal with a dog that just doesn't care, or doesnt give a crap. I am looking for a responsive, respectful dog that will listen and react to what I ask it to, when I ask it to.

then you would be better off with a different breed (border collie, sheltie, lab, etc.).

Greyhounds are hounds. Hounds (in general) don't care what you think. When you give a command to a hound, the hound might do what you've directed ... or might think about it for a minute ... or might blow you off altogether ... or might not have heard you at all (being focused on that squirrel 2 yards and 4 fences away) ... or wait patiently for you to change your mind or ask something more interesting, etc.

Hounds make good companions for people who are easygoing and flexible about Things In Life. Small, stupid example: I do not have wicker in my home. I've been messing around with dogs of various breeds for more than 30 years. My 11 year old greyhound, who has been here for 9 years now, eats wicker. My 11 year old greyhound has a big vocabulary and knows many commands. She believes that the word "No!" applies to the nanosecond during which the sound leaves one's lips and not to any other point in time. Always has, always will, I can't change that. Bitter apple? She can deal. Can of pennies? Who cares. Squirt bottle? :rofl :rofl :rofl

That is quintessential hound. They aren't all like that. Most probably aren't like that about most things. But if you want instant response in daily living, they aren't the dog for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Willerton

I think I'm like a lot of the people who wants a dog that isn't a jerk (not jumping all over people, not destroying my house, mostly listening to me), but I don't want a border collie type dog that wants me to take it to agility and throw the frisbee in the back yard for two hours a day. :) I wanted a low-energy companion that wasn't going to drive me nuts with bad behavior. He's trainable, but I never put a lot of time into it. I'm happy with what he knows.

My dog knows:

No

Wait

Come

Foodies (time to eat!)

Get in your beddie (get into your bed and lie down)

Hop on up (to get into car or onto bed/couch)

Leashy (get his leash on)

Go out and go potty? (to ask him if he needs to go)

Petties? (does he want me to pet him)

That's all! :)

Edited to add: My greyhound is the same as Batmom's. "No" works to keep him out of my plate when I'm in the room. "Come" works when there aren't any really fun things to smell in the backyard. "Wait" works until I get far enough away not to physically make him wait. I know I am really important to him and he wants to be with me all the time, but he still listens to me conditionally. :)

Edited by Willerton

Guest cms121979

I am by no means an expert since Echo is my first greyhound, but being a new grey owner, I thought I would share my experiences with you.

I have been working with a variety of animals for over a decade now and because of that, I have gained a lot of experience with various training techniques. My last dog, a good old mutt, was fantastic and definitely did need to be shown who the leader was and needed direction. She thrived on long training sessions where she devoted 150% of her attention to me and the task at hand. Echo is proving to be a very different kind of dog, which in all reality is great since I wanted a dog completely opposite my old dog. He will work for me, especially for treats, and we have been training since the day I brought him home. First things first, I wanted to teach him to respect the space around the doors for his own safety. I wanted to be able to open the door without the fear that he would bolt. Once he got that, I knew he was smart and we could move on to bigger and better things. So far, we have accomplished the sit, down, stay, come, heal, off, leave it, ignore, bed, and drop it commands. He will also bow for me and we are working on speak. He knows quiet too!

But I do agree with most others that Greys, and really all hounds, aren't the A+ obedience students that borders are. These dogs are dogs that can, and will, completely ignore you if something more interesting comes their way. Desensitization training will only go so far and it can work, if you are in control of the environment. But Ive noticed that if Im working with Echo in a public place or outside where there's a lot of activity, he gets SOOOO easily distracted. If you are willing to work every day to build the kind of relationship that brings with it love and respect, then yes, a grey will do fine with you. But if you want to take them through an obedience class and expect them to retain that information forever irrespective of distractions, you are looking in the wrong group of dogs. A friend of mine breeds and shows Salukis and she has said that as long as the dogs don't poop in the house and don't try to eat a small child, she's fine with them being prima donna's and hard headed. So its not just greys that can be difficult. Ive been finding that patient, gentle leadership has gotten me very far with Echo, and I've only been graced with his presence since late September.