Do You Understand Your Grey

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

I was reading the "does your grey talk" thread, and while mine generally don't, if they hang out with those who do, they usually come back with some new habits. But overall, I have very very quiet dogs. (um, at least indoors... Aleeya is sort of bark-y at the greyhound hour we go to sometimes).

So, I do a lot of the talking for them. I know it's partly this cute personification/animation thing we do online and offline too, but really, I actually do think I know what Aleeya (in particular) is thinking, pretty much all the time.

Haka, i'm convinced, is from another planet and doesn't speak the language here, but he tries to fit in tongue.gif

Do you know what your pup is thinking? do you have moments when you two are "likethis" and totally on the same page?

I understand all my GHs. There are times that they will give me a look or a sigh or a position and I will say to DH... "Chloe" needs whatever it is at the time she needs or T needs to Beau needs, etc and he will say to me, how did you know that.

I feel very connected to them.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sometimes it's really a guessing game. Daisy is silently persistent. She comes up to be petted or just generally get IN my face and won't leave. That means she wants SOMETHING, but WHAT is a mystery. I scritch, then start down the list. Last night for example, I ended up taking her outside, then went to the kitchen from the TV room to find the water bowl empty. Oops, I guessed wrong.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest twhitehouse

I'll often know what Lexi needs or what she's thinking. Mostly, I can tell by her body language.

She's a very quiet dog as well. The only time she really talks is when I'm getting ready for a walk, she'll let me know I'm not moving fast enough! :lol

Inu is my quiet one but he doesn't really do subtle. I know he wants to be pet because he stands over me until he's done using my hands as his personal massage machine. I know he wants to go out because he stands at the door and stares at me. I know he wants a cookie because he follows me into the kitchen and sits on the carpet to wait until I give in to his - yup stare. I know he's not in the mood for x when he ignores me and doesn't get up. :lol love him

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

The longer I'm around them the more I can read them.

Like RobinM, I often know what they need just by their body language. DH teases that I know them all too well now.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest SoulsMom

Haven't read or posted in the other thread . . . but Soul is a 'talker'. Yet when he's quiet I can totally read his body language and facial expression. If he's alarmed, annoyed, impatient, curious etc

Guest eaglflyt

Most of the time, yes. However, occasionally I'm clueless. She will whine for something repeatedly and sometimes I just can't figure it out. I try everything ... going out, checking water, not time for food, check toy availability, play, etc. I think sometimes she does it just to watch me try to figure it out. I think she may be amused ... and giggling at her silly human. :lol

Yep, I pretty much read mine spot on. I think the longer you have them the more likely you are to pick up on their body language. Sometimes I just sit and study each one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest RocketDog

I love to sit and watch my dogs, especially when we have a new foster and everyone's getting to know each other. The subtle body language is fascinating, as are the more overt displays! It took a while to figure out all the little signals they use to let us know what they need, but now it's second nature.

I love to sit quietly and observe Wendy's behaviors and listen to her vocalizations. She makes so many sounds! More than any dog I've ever had. She's very good at making herself understood with her voice and body language.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I tend to understand Milky Way pretty well. He's not a talker at all, but like others, he exhibits body language that helps me understand what he wants or needs. Our bulldog is the exact same way.

DH is clueless, if anyone twiches an eye he thinks they need to poop.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest DoofBert

Yes, I understand our non talkers Tessa and Tania. Tessa gives considerable info with her stance and body language. As does Tania. Tessa also DEMANDS attention by sticking her needle nose under your hand or in the crook of your arm!

My last dog wasn't a Greyhound, and he knew what I was thinking at all times, and he had the most expressive eyes and ears I've ever seen.

George? I think his thoughts consist of: Food? Walkies? Naptime? Car ride? Food?

I adore him, and he is a WONDERFUL companion, but...let's just say he's very handsome, was a fast racer, and he's very handsome!

colgate.gif

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest sorenkkg

I adore him, and he is a WONDERFUL companion, but...let's just say he's very handsome, was a fast racer, and he's very handsome!

colgate.gif

We have a similar expression here (for people and for dogs)-- pretty. If someone in my house says "you're pretty" you better re-think whatever you just said blink.giflol.gif

When Aleeya looks at us sitting on the couch for instance-- she looks at me, then the couch, then at me. So I pat the couch and say "c'mon up" and then she does.

funny, Haka sort of does the same thing, but I don't get a "message" from him as loud and clear. Again, I'm pretty sure he's an alien and just going through the motions but not really trying to communicate with us. :P

Guest jacksonhunter31

Reading these makes me smile--we all do it--anthropomorphize our dog's actions...I smile condescendingly at other dog owners and then look to my dog and say (because of course MY dog is different) "aren't you glad we're not silly like that?"