New To The Board! Waiting On A Grey

Guest ihugtrees

Guest ihugtrees

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. My husband, daughter, and I are all looking forward to adopting a greyhound once we are settled in our new home in Washington State. I have had a fascination with greyhounds since I was a little girl, and have been doing research for over a year on the breed, all the while waiting until we were settled in a permanent place, as my husband is in the Navy. The time is finally almost here (4-6 weeks until move in) and the house we have picked out has a nice big fenced in yard. What's more, my husband (who isn't technically a 'dog person') had the opportunity to meet some really sweet rescued greyhounds at a recent festival, and he has gone from merely consenting, to also looking forward to having our first dog! My little girl is just a crawling tot, and loves our rescue cats (who totally ignore her) and I'm sure she is going to love being licked in the face (she's really liked every dog she's met so far!)

I have come across several rescues in the Washington area that seem to be really great, and am sure that with their help, we will be able to give a wonderful greyhound a home.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and am glad to be here to learn more about the breed from you all.

Edited by ihugtrees

Hi, and welcome to GT!! It's the best! :wubsite

You've come to the right place to ask any questions you might have.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome from Miami! The waiting is the hardest part of adoption. Get ready to quickly become enamored of this special breed. Feel free to ask questions. There's always someone happy to help.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest dobiegrey

Welcome from the Space Coast of Florida!!!! I too am fairly new to the board as well as to Greyhounds getting my first just a year ago, but I am hooked and totally in love with my beautiful girl, my husband has always been a "doberman" person we have had dobes for the 33 years of our marriage but it is totally in love with our girl too!!! There is something just really special about this breed, my girl is very patient with my toddler grandson too, the only problem is he is kind of a whirlwind willie so I worry about him falling on her and breaking some body part of hers, because she just doesn't get rattled at all with him around and doesn't jump up out of the way so I just stay on top of HIM when around her!! She is not a big kisser but they touch noses a lot!! To my Grandson that is a kiss from Betty! Good Luck and trust your group to pick the best dog for your situation, maybe a nice patient, low key boy dog!! I have heard they are better with the little ones, my girl is great but of course she doesn't live with him all the time :lol

Lou

:welcome

If you haven't already, do a site search on greyhounds with children and you will find a TON of good dialog and helpful advice. You will also find lot's of cautionary counsel too. We got our 2 greys when DD's were 3.5 and 5.5 (a year ago) and had to wait until the perfect hound came along as not all should be placed in homes with young children. It took our group a couple months to find Brucie, who is an absolute rock around the kids, but most importantly, we implemented some big rules with big consequences for the girls. They've respected the rules (and therefore the dogs) and things have gone amazingly well. But coming from someone with 'young' children, make sure you adopt the 'right' dog and instill in your tot a very clear set of rules with your potential greyhound (at the appropriate time). The two should never be left unsupervised. Many say greyhounds and children under 5-6 shouldn't live together (most groups will not adopt to families with children under 5) - but I couldn't disagree more as every family/hound combination is different and I HATE being bucketed into a category (a category that has high dog-return rates, by the way). In any case, ramble over, welcome to GT and keep up the research on greyhounds with children. Good luck in your greyhound search over the coming weeks/months. When you find the right one, you will be beyond thrilled with the breed!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I feel your PAIN ;):) I waited a week after we chose our girl, we waited for a second cat test, she passed with flying colors {she ignored them} and took her home that day.

as the others said, you should be looking for a kidlet and cat friendly Grey. I was lucky as my wife demanded a female and I wanted a brindle we both said cat friendly. they probably had a couple others, but Queen stole my heart, and walked so well with my wheelchair that she had a home. she is my velcro dog but the whole family loves her and she returns it in spades.

remember when you pick up your grey,have a camera ready because when you say you have a dog THAT is going to be thrown at you from all directions :blush

Welcome, and I hope your waiting time goes by quickly.

Only one of my greys has been a big baby-face licker; she was smart enough to figure out that sometimes she could pick up an extra snack that way. :lol

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:welcome

You have found the perfect place to learn and fall in love with the breed! I hope you find the perfect hound when the time is right!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC