Bailey Is Vomiting Many Hours After Eating

Bailey often vomits bile but has been vomiting her stomach contents about 8-9 hrs after eating. I know this is not a good sign. I've tried feeding her more often in case it was from hunger, I've tried raw instead of kibble, a mixture of raw and kibble, just chicken and pasta, and she still continues to throw up 2 x day about 8-9 hours after eating.

She has been on a low dose (25mg) of Deramaxx daily to help ease the pain (she limps from a toe amputation on Oct 2008). I've taken her off the Deramaxx for 2 days to see if the vomiting stops but it hasn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's house trained to vomit outside so you know how often if occurs :( however, we work so we're not here when she vomits in the afternoon. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. She seems fine otherwise. I think she's drinking ok. She's at play group right now but I'll check for dehydration when they return.

I'm really really really worried :cry1

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest scfilby

If she is throwing up stomach contents, I would assume that the cause is not hunger related. I am no where near an expert, hopefully the vet can help, but I would guess at either reflux, or another digestive issue.

Have you tried feeding bland and in smaller portions? Bland (rice and boiled lean ground) in small portions (1 cup) three times a day.

Guest KennelMom

How long has she been doing this? We had a foster that started vomiting stomach contents after eating as a first symptom to a partial intestinal blockage. That's my only experience with vomiting undigested food hours after eating it. I hope it's something simple :goodluck

If it's the Deramaxx, can take a couple days for that effect to go away. Altho 25mg is a pretty small dose.

I would insist on x-rays. As KennelMom indicates, you don't want to chance that she's somehow gotten a partial blockage.

Sending prayers!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Could be the Deramaxx. Could be a foreign body in her stomach or somewhere further down. Could be IBD. The main symptom of Minnie's IBD was vomiting, although we didn't realize what she had until she also ended up with recurring HGE. If it's inflammation, either due to Deramaxx or IBD, a couple of days isn't enough for it to subside.

I agree a vet visit is a good idea. X-rays and blood work might be in order. If it's the Deramaxx, some stomach protection might fix her right up.

I hope the cause is quickly found and easily remedied. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

I would also stop the Deramaxx, and start Pepcid AC, (*generic is fine) twice a day, and see the vet, to be sure there isn't anything really badly wrong. Good Luck with this. Hope Bailey feels better, soon!

Jan...

How long has it been going on for? In the past week I have had similar issues with 3 out of 4 dogs. Mollie and Dylan mostly but Cody a couple times. I think they are all past it but Mollie did it last night. I had tried Chicken and rice with the same results. I fasted them and tried again. I assumed it was some sort of a bug as it only lasted 36-48 hours.

:hope for Bailey

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Jan...

How long has it been going on for? In the past week I have had similar issues with 3 out of 4 dogs. Mollie and Dylan mostly but Cody a couple times. I think they are all past it but Mollie did it last night. I had tried Chicken and rice with the same results. I fasted them and tried again. I assumed it was some sort of a bug as it only lasted 36-48 hours.

:hope for Bailey

It's been off and on for a couple of weeks...today so far she's been fine but I'm been feeding her cooked chicken. No rice or pasta for this girl...she spits it out.

I'm cooking some chicken in the slow cooker for 24 hours, the bones turn to mush, then I add rice and veggies and I'll try this too. :hope Hope she can keep this down. It's the length of time after she eats and throws up that concerns me. :(

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Bailey spent the day at the vets. Poor girl had some pretty exlosive diarrhea and gas so she also has some acute gastroenteritis going on. Our vet took x-rays and there's not obstruction *whew*. Right now her intestines are pretty irritated so she's on meds and special hypo-allergetic food for the next few days. He thinks it could be a food allergy or IBD. We're waiting to see if the food helps...no throwing up yet today but we still have a few hours to go. She's lost 3-4 lbs but I imagine she'll gain it back once she starts eating again.

When I walked into the vets last night to pick her up he saw me and yelled over it's good news, so I guess it could be much worse. She's doesn't have much of an appetite, Ben finally got to eat in peace last night, no sister looking over his shoulder waiting for him to finish so she can like his bowl lol.gif

Thanks for the all the prayers and wishes...geez, they sure warm they way into your heart :wub: and you never want them to hurt or be sick.

Edited by greytpups