Thera-paws

Guest tennesseegrey

Guest tennesseegrey

Has onyone here or does anyone currently use Thera-Paws Boots on your hound? Tell me your experience with this product. Does it work, did your greyhound keep the boot off or chew it off. Does it stay on very well. Jack has developed a corn on one of his pads and has limped on and off for about 3 or 4 months now. I've lost 2 to Osteosarcoma so obviously the initial limp scared the crap out of me, but he's only 3 and his vet found the corn. How have you treated corns? Have you tried duct tape, or do you feel Thera-Paw boots work better.

As always, thanks so much for your advice.

Joy, Jack, Angel Rose and Angel Caesar :sad1

I use them for Wayne but I also dremel the corn which makes it much more comfortable for him.

They will stay on without a problem on a walk, but if they're playing in them, they come off a lot.

I have the Neo Paws for when he's active because there's no way they're coming off.

It took Wayne a day or two to get comfortable walking in them, after that not a problem

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest bigorangedog

Yup, we've used Therapaws. We also keep some around for them to wear if they have cuts on their feet, etc. I have found that they stay on really well. It'll take the dog a day or two to get used to wearing them, but then they are no problem. They are well-made and last a long time.

We use a pair of Therapaws on Tribute, who has significant corns on both his front feet. They've made an enormous difference for him! He's never had a minute of trouble adjusting to the boots; in fact, he lifts his paws so I can put them on him. Now, he only wears these when he's going to be out of the house walking a lot on hard surfaces or doing a M&G or when we had our Greyhound Magnets business and he'd be standing a lot in our booth, etc. We've had the same pair for at least 6 years and they're in excellent condition still.

Are you in Tennessee? If you're in or near Nashville, you're in luck because Dr. Carol Machery is one of the two vets who've popularized the technique of HULLING corns from the dogs' feet. It's quick, painless, blood-less and takes less than 5 minutes. She's hulled Tribute's corns a couple of times, when we visit Murfreesboro for GPA/Nashville's Winter Gathering (February 21, 2010 is the next one). The rest of the time, our local vet in Louisville takes care of this for him. In fact, he'll have his corns hulled tomorrow. We might have to have it done one more time before we see Dr. Machery again in February.

Hulling is not a permanent answer, but it does help keep them at bay for our dog. Dremeling can help too. We've used Dr. Sholl's corn remover drops, but I'm never consistent enough about applying the drops the way I should. Hulling is quick and gives him immediate relief.

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

i think i have the only greyhound who lost their therapaw on the horse trails i frequent. it was on nice and tight, otherwise their toes rub, the bootie was the exact size of her paw, go know. well, a fox or coyote out there at rockerfeller state park preserve is running around in comfort w/ a therapaw on...somewhere deep in the woods! not buying another one soon ......

My Conor hated his therapaws (maybe they rubbed on his knuckles too) & was able to kick them off no matter how tight I put them on (to the amusement of my fellow hound walkers <_< ). I'm pretty sure they were the right size but since you can't return them, I'll never know.

Bought him some Neo-paws & they've worked out much better. He still doesn't like anything on his feet, but he's not trying to get them off (& they stay on). Just ordered a pair for the winter in fact.

Corns suck :angry: but better than OS.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Bailey uses Therapaws and they do wonders. You still have to maintain the corn by regular hulling and/or sanding them down with Dremel. I also keep them hydrated with Kerasolv. One thing with the Thera-paws is that you have to make sure their dew claws are trimmed down so they don't rub.

Both of my boys have a Therapaw for their "corn foot" (that sounds weird. heh!) and they work great. They stay on and I can tell it makes walking on hard surfaces MUCH easier for them.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I have been using TheraPaws for about a year and am very happy with them. No big adjustment, but then we're talking about a very placid dog who seemed to be relieved that she could walk in comfort. Suze has a mystery limp (multiple x-rays and exams all negative for everything) and the latest guess about what's causing the limp is "soft pads". She wears the boots on both back feet. Yes, they have come off - especially when she has been overly enthusiastic doing the "happy dance", :rolleyes: and it has always been after dark, but I have always found them. If I am careful to draw the neck of the boot as tightly as possible and then wind the hook and loop strap tightly, it's not nearly as much of a problem.

I wouldn't recommend the boots for zoomies on grass because there's not enough traction.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Mandy has worn Therapaws on both back feet for 4 years. She adjusted almost immediately. The front feet...not so much, she will NOT wear them on the front. She used to lose them while walking back when I was learning how to put them on correctly. Sometimes, when she gets the zoomies with her buddies, the boots will turn on her feet (so the padded part is on top of her foot. She does not wear the boots in the house.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest FireHorse

Luke has a TheraPaw for his corn foot. The first time I put it on he wasn't too happy, but as soon as he figured out it made his foot feel better, he was fine. Now, if he sees be with his boot, he goes to lay down and stick his foot out.

We use a baby sock with the boot. We didn't have and problems with knuckle rub, but I knew that was an issue for some, and the sock seems to have prevented it. A toddler sock pulled up works well; I fold the extra down over the top of the boot to keep it from slumping down into the boot.

Guest Shermanator

Patton uses Therapaws. He had a nasty corn on his toe that kept returning; we eventually had to amputate. Bought 2 therapaws for his back legs when out walking, to keep the pressure off of both feet. (Sort of like you always replace more than one tire of the car to keep it balanced.) However, after the amputation, he still continues to wear them. Although he does not have corns, he does have a bad rear leg. We have noticed that he tends to limp and hop less when walking on hard surfaces with his Therapaws on. I guess the cushioning takes pressure of his bad leg? Who knows, but all I know is when he walks without his therapaws he will not walk on his bad leg. When his therapaw is on, he's fine. (Also, he does not have any corns on the bad leg, he has been checked over and over again by our very grey savvy vet.)

I'll second the Neo Paws!

my boy Rascal wears on his back feet. They are wonderful, and stay on !

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Josh uses a Therapaw for his corn foot. It's great for him. He doesn't limp with it. He never minded it at all and it stays on for walks just fine. He doesn't need it for anything else. Unfortunately he hated the NeoPaw and I couldn't get him to wear it.

I hull his corn with my fingernail actually. He won't let me dreml it as he is terrified of the dreml.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren