Internal Bleeding Issue(help!)

Guest brown1775

Guest brown1775

So I dont know what happened to my account but it went bye bye had to make a new one back to being just whelped :). So anyways back story we have a 3 year old male Greyhound named Cyrus he is our pride and joy and full of life. So anywho we went in for a routine dental, however while he was sedated he yelped for some reason they hadn't touched him(I work at a vet office and I was able to watch the whole thing). Well he must have tried to stand up in the boarding areas before the drugs had worn off because he hurt his back right leg when we believe he fell on it. Well he couldnt walk to well on it during the day, but that night he was able to walk and go outside. Well the next morning he had a bruise the size of my palm on his back leg. The vets put him on deramaxx for the pain, we took him off that next night due to the side effects of bleeding or bruising. Well it is Friday night/Sat morn and his dental was on Tuesday and his leg has swollen to twice the normal size in two days with blood and it is starting to move onto the other back leg. He has blood in his urine and stool, but no red blood cells in his urine if that makes sense. We have done blood work, urinalysis and everything came back normal. He has had a daily visit to the vet since this happened and all the doctors are stumped. He eats and drinks normally and is for the most part his peppy self except tonight because its getting hard for him to walk. What do we do????

Edited by brown1775

It could be Von Willebrand's disease. I'm not really familiar with it but I read a post similar to yours on another greyhound forum I use and this was something suggested to them.

http://www.jackrussell.net/faq/medical/vonwill.htm

I hope you get it figured out, prays for Cyrus.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Does Deramaxx cause the blood to thin and bleeding to occur more easily the way ibuprophen does? Maybe it's not the best choice for pain relief in this case, if so. Has Cyrus ever had problems with bleeding before (from a wound or anything?)

Guest Energy11
Could be a side effect of the deramaxx. Did they give him a NSAID shot after the dental?

Sending lots of prayers.

In my opinion, most definitely! I would never give a NSAID before or after a procedure, canine or human.

There was just a post the other day about post surgical bleeding. It is quite technical, but I have it ... might be helpful if you have to see the E-vet today.

Click here: http://www.tripawds.com/wp-content/blogs.d...eedinggreys.pdf

Good Luck. I always hated it when the post-surgical dogs were put in the kennel area after surgeries, especially greyhounds. They seem to come out of the anesthesia hard. I always tried to stay back there on surgery days. Good luck with this !

It could be rhabdomyolysis. Happened to my girl after a dental. She was a nervous patient & had a couple of bouts with non-malignant hyperthermia. Her urine was very very dark & one thigh swelled up & was very painful for her to walk on. Took a good week or so for her to recover from it. I had called my vet about it & she was pretty lacksadaisical but I think we were lucky. Basically muscle tissue is breaking down which can damage the kidneys & causes the bruising & swelling you see. I hope that his body is getting rid of the toxins & that's why it looks like the bruising is spreading to the other leg.

Cyrus :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Contact OSU, the link is at the bottom of my siggy. They will talk to you or your vet and give their advice at no charge.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest brown1775

Thank you all for the responses! He appreciates all the love.

To answer some questions now.

Our vet said they are ruling out VW because there are no spots on him and the blood work came back negative. So I believe we are in the clear concering VW.(Hopefully He also has never had a bleeding issue before or at least since we have had him going on a year and a half now, and it was his first real trip to the vet besides boosters, poor guy.)As far as deramaxx goes I was only able to find out what I could online, but our vets say its highly unlikely that the medicine caused it, but I am skeptical because thats what my guess is. The deramaxx is a NSAID so that was the only NSAID that they used on him pre or post surgery.I actually have never heard of Rhabdomyolysis that could be a new hypothesis I will have to share with my vets. We talked to them this morning and they want to put him on a steroid to reduce the swelling and pain in his leg for a short period of time any thoughts on this? I also found that thread posted a few days ago by Mcsheltie which I hope she is getting much better :grouphug ! I saw Amicare being discussed on there and I am going to suggest it to my vets when I go in today, any news on if it was able to stop the bleeding? Thank you all again for the support!

Edited by brown1775

There is also a bleeding disorder that greys can get - different from Von Willebrand's - that is just now being researched by Dr Couto (I believe). Hope you can convince your vet to talk to him asap. Thre is a special drug that they can give to greys though I'm not sure if it needs to be given before surgery or not.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Okay, I just went through this recently as well. First, Let me just agree with Diane the vets probably not going to say it's the Deramaxx but If I was you, I would never use it again and for ours I will never use another nsaid for him. Just my 2cents worth. Hope everything goes ok.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest greyvettech

If you haven't already, you should contact Dr. Couto or someone with the OSU greyhound wellness team. They are very good about talking to your vet right away. Chances are, he will be able to let you know what it is in a matter of minutes... Good luck:) Hope he is ok!

We had something similar with Dante. His started in his back leg and soon graduated to the other and up his groin and belly. He was so swollen the blood was seeping through his skin on his leg. He was bruised too. He seemed to be in no distress or pain. Our vet was also baffled and referred us to OVC. After a couple of days there and many tests, they too couldn't find an actual cause. They think it was possibly a) some kind of spider bite or B) burst blood vessels.

He was not on any medications at all so it wasn't meds that caused this. He was tested for VW and many, many other disorders.

They ran more tests and sent him home with some meds. Two days after he was home it was almost completely gone. When the vet called us 4 days later with the test results it was gone - she was mystified.

So it is still a mystery. But it hasn't affected him in any way - he's still a Dufus!! LOL

Liz

Guest mcsheltie

I hope Cyrus is okay by now. I haven't been able to get online all weekend. I posted about needing help with the bleeding disorder last week. I don't know if our experiences will help Cyrus, but here is what happened.

We ended up with two bleeders. The first started 24 hours after surgery. She was bleeding under (and thru) the incision area and blood was pooling down her hind legs. The second girl had blood in her urine 48 hours after the spay. This was the first symptom. The following day she had blood pooling down her FRONT legs. There was no bleeding around the incision site. We started her on Amicar and two days later her urine has cleared and the blood is starting to be absorbed.

Blood work for both dogs was normal. With this disorder BW and clotting factors are normal. Blood work will only be effected when there is extensive bleeding. Then you need to check their PCV, a plasma transfusion might be needed. But in light bleeders blood work will not diagnosis this problem.

OSU said no Pred.