Justin is DEAD!....... terrible accident...

I am so, so sorry. :( Hang in there.

Angel Sonny aka Whistlin Bill, 62314; Carmella aka Eg Rain Dust, 81693

Plus Boudreaux, Calzone & Hops the cats, Katie & Tony the humans and our Terrific Skinkids Tommy and Jimmy

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...Oscar Wilde

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CambridgeGrey

Wow, what a tragic accident. You have helped so many people learn in sharing your grief here. Thank you for the sacrifice. We will all take care in Justin's memory, I am sure. I hope you and your family have better times soon.

Thank you all SO much for your sympathy... it helps to hear nice things during a time like this. Yes, I DO feel partly responsible for his death. I SHOULD, SHOULD, SHOULD have known to PUT HIM ON A LEASH!!!! I can't stop thinking that. I honestly thought he REALLY would be safe in that fence... you NEVER think about a dog NOT seeing a chain-link fence. The kennel owner called last night.... he was trying to be nice, but I could tell he was basically worried that I blamed THEM. Nothing's farther from the truth. The kennel was IMMACULATE. Clean, bright, brand new... VERY nice facility. They have "Doggie Daycare" there.

The first thing he said after he said he was sorry was "we've had THOUSANDS of dogs run there and that's NEVER happened." Maybe... but I told him it would be worth it to spend a few bucks on those little plastic, colored panels that slide between the chain links. Even if it saved ONE dog's life. I think if he could have seen the fence better, maybe it wouldn't have happened..... or if I had just leashed him.

It all feels like some sort of sick, cruel joke. This WONDERFUL baby was brought into our lives for only one month. Long enough to teach him to walk the stairs, how to be loved like a pet, and all the other things a Grey owner must do in the beginning. You all know how VERY CLOSE you get to these beautiful animals so QUICKLY! It's like a small CHILD! I just can't believe it, and I have to wonder what we did to deserve this. Better yet, what HE did to deserve the violent, horrific death he went through. I only hope that the initial impact was so hard that it knocked him unconscious. I hope he didn't FEEL all that we SAW. I don't know of any words horrifying enough to explain what we saw.....

Many of you have said I should get another.... I can't even contemplate that right now. I feel like I lost one of my own children. We have spent SOOOO much money this past month, that even if I DID want one... I couldn't afford it. His neutering alone was TRIPLE what it was supposed to cost because of an undescended testicle. You know how that is.... greyhounds=$$$. Maintenance isn't so bad.. it's that initial adoption procedure that gets you.

I haven't taken down his crate yet. We woke up this morning, and half expected to see him... standing in his crate Looooking over at the bed... waiting for Dad to get up and go for morning walkies..... He'd rush out of his crate, wiggle and squirm around my legs, and fall to the floor in his play-bow.... READY to go! I got up hoping the whole damn mess was a dream..... but there was only his empty crate.... full of stuffies and toys.........

I am so sorry that Justin's life has ended, and in such a tragic way.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest EllenEveAndBaz

I am so, so sorry. This must be so horrible for you. All of our sympathies to you and all of Justin's family.

What a tragic accident. Please remember it was an accident and that sharing will help save someone else.

Always in a new fenced area, it is a good idea to walk the perimeter the first time or two.

My sympathy to you and your family. When you heal, I know there is someone waiting for you.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest greytspud

I am very sorry for your loss. It really does sound like a freak accident that you could not predict. I hope that you will be able to adopt again.

What a terrible tragic thing for you and Justin. Don't blame yourself-- Justin wouldn't blame you, only thank you for the precious love and kindness you shared in your short time together.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

I am sooo sorry to hear about Justin's accident, but the key word there is accident. You were an excellent friend for Justin and taught him what love was. He died knowing what it was to have a family, not on the racetrack or at the hands of an uncaring person and that is the important thing and that is the peace of heart he will get to take with him to the Bridge.

Stella sends you a big hug and so do I.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest pinkymink

OMG. I agree with everyone here, don't blame yourself. There was no way you could have known his reaction. I am so sorry.

Guest JACKIE

Thank you for sharing this incredibly painful story with us all. I think we will all give our greys an extra hug today.

So very sorry for the loss of your new friend. My heart goes out to you and your family.

-Jackie

Guest Greytdawg

I am SO sorry, you can't believe.Just tragic. I know it hasn't even BEGUN to sink in yet. We're all here...

As for another dog? The thought can't even be comprehended now...IMO

I am so sorry for your loss. This was a horrible accident and it was an accident. I know that Justin is running with the wind at the Bridge and you will meet again. They say our fur babes have no concept of time and I know that the month he spent with you was the best time of his life and he will always love you for everything that you did for him and he knows how much you loved him. I think that (in time) when your hearts allow you to do so; that Justin would want you to save another grey heart in his memory and it would not be replacing Justin...none can replace another! Remember he is always there with you...right there in your heart!

My deepest sympathy to you both!

Patti :(

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I too want to let you know I am sorry for you loss. I do want to thank you very much though for posting this message even though I know how hard it must have been for you. We just got our Greyhound a week ago Tuesday. We also had another dog already. I think Eclipse our greyhound is a little afraid of Cody our other dog. You have opened my eyes to how quickly accidents can happen. I am sure by your message you are going to help save lifes of other greyhounds. I know I will be much more careful when the two dogs are together. I will also warn my 12 yr old daughter about how careful we have to be.

Guest TheMackeyPack

I am so incredibly sorry!!!! What a terrible accident. Our thoughts are with you during this time

Debbie and Lloyd

I am so sorry for you loss. Its so unbelievably tragic. You and Justin are in my thoughts

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

I'm so sorry to hear of Justin's accident.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It was an accident, try not to beat yourself up too hard. There was no way you could have known he would run into the fence that hard.

Even though he was only with you a short time, he knows how much you guys loved him.

You will be in my thoughts.

Trudy

Guest lisa73

All our love and best wishes coming to you through floods of tears!!!! You remember allways that you made that dogs short time with you special!!! No one can take your memories away but please try not to beat yourself up!! In time I hope you open your heart to another one of these wonderful creatures! Find peace in the fact that a lot of peoples babies here have made the crossing over the bridge and will be there to look out for him!!!

Guest brandihernandez

My family and I send our deepest sympathies to you and yours. I know that there's nothing I can tell you that hasn't been already said much more eloquently than others here. You know he loved you, and that he knows he was loved.

Don't be afraid to cry. Many people are embarassed to cry at the loss of a pet, but he was not just a dog, he was your child. Cry, scream, take a few days off of work, or do whatever you need to let out the pain.

My prayers are with you and all the other greys out there.