Justin is DEAD!....... terrible accident...

I thought I would share with you that, tragically and ironically, Justin died today. We had been looking SO hard for a place to let him run free. We went to a nearby kennel yesterday at 5:00. We were so happy to FINALLY have a place to let him RUUUUN free, since he hadn't gotten a chance to since we got him. Never mind that it was a half hour from home. We were excited to find a safe place! We arranged for a private fenced area for $3 an hour. What a steal. We had been there about 15 minutes, when the attendant asked if we wanted another, (well behaved) dog to come play. I had talked to her about it, and realized that we're gonna HAVE to introduce him to more friendly dogs at some point..... and here we are in a fenced area, so running away won't be a problem. She let out a CUTE little pup.... big for his age... maybe a boxer pup about 8 months old to a year.... He started running at Justin, just to play I'm sure, and Justin turned, VERY scared, bolted, and took three strides at top speed RIGHT into the chain-link fence. The next five minutes were the most horrible in our life. He had obviously broken his neck, among God knows what else. The lady said, "OH, he's just hit his head hard... DO CPR!" (??!??!?!??!?!?) She turned to take the puppy back inside. I reached into Justin's mouth to see if he was choking or something.. maybe on blood... wasn't sure. He bit RIGHT into my thumbnail. He was just flopping out of control........ awful.

As he was laying there, flopping around like a fish out of water, and gagging, and heaving for breaths, I knew it was over at that moment. He hit the fence so hard it bent it out of shape. I scooped him up, and as I was running to the car, I noticed that ALL his skin was COVERED in THOUSANDS of little purple spots. I think he hit so hard that his heart "exploded". All of his blood vessels just burst.

We rushed him to their vet about 15 minutes away (this was 30 minutes from Concord, and our vet...) He finally gave up the horrible fight in the car... after about 10 minutes. I had taken the day off yesterday to spend with him. We went jogging that morning... played ALL day. It was going to be the BEST end to the BEST day! Playing ALL day with dad...

Seems SO unreal... standing here looking at his empty crate and stuffies. Sorry to just say all this and I don't know you all... but you're Grey owners and I know that YOU know how we feel. I wanted SO badly to sign on to Greytalk last night.... but it was "under construction" for 24 hours..... There have been SO many helpful people on here... I just want to be able to tell people that IF your Grey is scared of other dogs, EVEN IF you are in a fenced, "SAFE" area... you HAVE to PUT HIM ON A LEASH!!!!! God.. I would give my LIFE to go back to that half-second before I agreed to add that second dog, and REALIZED that I should have had him on leash. I just thought that he'd be safe in the fence..... little did I know.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Love those sweet hounds you have..... life is a frail commodity. We have three sweet cats here to love on us.... they know something bad has happened... they all sense it... but I *think* they are secretly, silently, in their complex, yet unknowingly innocent minds, breathing a little sigh of relief..... we left the house with that that big, hairy, scary beast.... and he never returned! (just kidding) Actually, they were finally getting used to having this new "baby" around! Oh,well..

The terrible irony of this WHOLE tragedy is that RIGHT at the moment we walked in the door, we got a call from GPA Central New Hampshire... I had left them a message yesterday asking if they had suggestions about fenced areas..... he was calling to "put our brains together" and come up with a safe place.... very nice man..... Irony.... Uggg.

Thanks for listening... :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest moon880

Oh my god, I am so sorry to hear your news! That is awful! I am crying just reading it. There is no way you could've know that would happen. We will all be here for you!

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Simply tragic for all of you.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest gatemaster93

Such a tragic accident. Nobody could have predicted something like that would happen so I hope you are not beating yourself up or blaming yourself for anything.

Tears and hugs to you.

I feel so bad for you. That was such a freak accident and not something anyone could have foreseen happening. You were just doing the very best you could for Justin. My sympathies to you and your family on this tragic loss.

Guest KayaPacosMom

I can't imagine what a terrifying experience this was for you. It was definitely a freak accident and not something you caused--please know that. I am very sorry for your loss.

Guest Sandy_Reg_Can

What a tragic, terrible thing to experience. I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.