Toe Nail Won't Stop Bleeding

I clipped one of Lucy's nails too short tonight :( and it won't stop bleeding. We've tried applying pressure, and that helped, but it didn't stop the bleeding completely. We cleaned the nail off with antiseptic and applied some liquid bandage, let it dry, and then wrapped the foot in gauze and covered with vet wrap. That seemed to do the trick, but as soon as I let her out of the crate, it started bleeding again and bled through the bandage. :( I think as soon as she puts weight on it, it starts up again.

Any advice? It's not gushing by any means, but is dripping. I had heard mention of super glue being used for lacerations....has anyone used this for toe nails? Should I just re-bandage it with more layers of gauze so it won't bleed through as quickly?

I feel like the world's worst greyhound mom.... :sad1

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

If you don't have any quik stop, try pressing some ground pepper against the end of the nail. Liquid bandage will cover over the end of the nail and may take several coats to keep the bleeding in check.

It will eventually stop on it's own though maybe not before your house looks like a crime scene!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LindsaySF

Press some flour into the nail and then wrap with the bandage. Then try to keep her off it for a while until it clots up (that's the hard part). Good luck.

Very common; the blood pressure in greys is a bit higher than for other dogs, and then when they stand up, they get all that additional pressure from the "water column" of blood, being so far beneath them that the nails keep bleeding.

If you haven't fed dinner yet, do so- that'll keep them off their feet. Add something (flour or pepper) to the cut nail, and then wrap in a couple of paper towels with some tape to keep it on loosely. Put a ZipLoc plastic bag or similar over the foot if they decide to walk anytime soon, wrap it in place with a bit of tape.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I did this to Peanut a couple of years ago. It took 4 hours of bandaging etc. My son eventually walked to the drug store and got what finally worked - a styptic pencil then sealed it with liquid bandage.

Tracey reminded me the next day that a tea bag will help clot a wound.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

cornstarch or flour is you don't have any quick stop powder. :) Your pup will live.

Cornstarch helped me the first time I tried cutting Sadie's nails!!

Alright, we did some flour and then a coat of liquid bandage and then gauze wrap and then vet wrap and kept her in the crate so she would stay off her feet. If it's bleeding under there it's not soaking through which is a better sign than what we had earlier. She sleeps through the night pretty solidly without getting up, so I'm hoping that another 8+ hours off her feet will do the trick and it'll be a-ok in the morning. Thanks so much for the advice, I did not know about flour/cornstarch/pepper. I sent DH to the store for styptic pencil/powder and he said he couldn't find anything. I'll add it to my list of things to hunt down for future use (though I hope we never need it again).

And yes...it did look like a crime scene here! Holy moly, I had no idea one little toe nail could produce so much blood!

sig_border.jpg

Alright, we did some flour and then a coat of liquid bandage and then gauze wrap and then vet wrap and kept her in the crate so she would stay off her feet. If it's bleeding under there it's not soaking through which is a better sign than what we had earlier. She sleeps through the night pretty solidly without getting up, so I'm hoping that another 8+ hours off her feet will do the trick and it'll be a-ok in the morning. Thanks so much for the advice, I did not know about flour/cornstarch/pepper. I sent DH to the store for styptic pencil/powder and he said he couldn't find anything. I'll add it to my list of things to hunt down for future use (though I hope we never need it again).

And yes...it did look like a crime scene here! Holy moly, I had no idea one little toe nail could produce so much blood!

Glad it worked. I actually called the evet to ask for advice when I couldn't stop the bleeding. I never cut nails during a hockey game. :gmark

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Champsmom

flour or cornstarch works well , when I worked as a groomer we had these great sticks that you made wet but only vets carried them regular people couldn't buy them

Edited by Champsmom

Guest FullMetalFrank

That happened with Chelsa a while back. I used cornstarch to get it to stop then put a drop of super glue over it; but every time she went out to potty she'd get it bleeding again. We got her some of the little disposable booties, padded her foot with a sock and slipped one over that, and she could then go outside without making it bleed again. It took a couple of days to heal.

Guest Energy11

I love Quikstop! You can use it for nails, and I have used it on ears with they've been bitten. Pet stores have it, and you can get it online. It surely IS scary when their nails bleed like that. Glad everyting is under control for you!

Guest LolaNLucy
That happened with Chelsa a while back. I used cornstarch to get it to stop then put a drop of super glue over it; but every time she went out to potty she'd get it bleeding again. We got her some of the little disposable booties, padded her foot with a sock and slipped one over that, and she could then go outside without making it bleed again. It took a couple of days to heal.

This is what we ended up doing for Lola last year when she ripped her toe nail down to the quick. It bled for days and after a trip to the vet he suggested cornstarch and superglue. We got a cheap padded booty at petsmart to keep her from licking and to protect it.

Guest madredhare

Someone once told me to walk them in the grass. Supposedly there is something in the grass that will make the bleeding stop. Now, I am not sure about this one, perhaps it is an old wives tale.

I'm happy to report that it seems healed today. She pulled the bandage off sometime in the middle of the night and I didn't find any blood and it didn't bleed when she went out this morning, so I think we're ok! But thank you so much for the suggestions. I am going to add all of these things to my mini first aid kit for next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, but no harm in being prepared). I haven't seen Quickstop in the pet store, so I think I'll order some.

Thanks!

sig_border.jpg

Yup...I keep a little vial of Quik Stop in my tack box, right next to the nail clipper. It comes out, and sits on the grooming table every time I clip. I want it handy. Only rarely do I need it, but it never goes bad, so I always have it on hand...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greyarea

Wow. Several months back, Molly ran into a palm tree - front legs went on one side, back legs went on the other. In the process she pulled her rear left inside nail completely OFF (ouch!). All I heard was a little "squeak." Didn't know until I saw blood on her comforter a while later. Bled like the dickens. We applied pressure and cleaned the wound and the bleeding stopped. Eventually the nail grew back (much to my surprise), but popped off again when she caught it on the carpet. Again, it bled for a short while, but after applying pressure it stopped. The nail grew back again (!) and is fine, now.

Guest 4baddogs

Quickstop has never worked for me (liquid or powder). Sometimes flour works and beause I don't bake and don't always have that on hand, I've used corn starch, baby powder and even corn muffin mix. :rolleyes: You can also scrape the nail across a bar of soap if it's not bleeding really bad.

For the most horrendous bleeding we've had here, and we've had 4 so far, I've used artificial nail acrylic. I used it out of pure desperation once when nothing else worked after 2 hours of bleeding when I got Flashy's quick. I thought, why not, it just might do the trick. I hadn't had my nails done in years so going strictly from memory, I dipped a small makeup brush into the liquid then dabbed it on his nail, then in the liquid, then the powder until I had a little paste going on and used it to build up a "shell" of sorts on his nail. I used more of the liquid to thin it out so it didn't look like a glob, blew on it to dry and voila! I remember telling his vet about it and she said "I would have never thought about that!"