Tramadol

Guest jennzem

Guest jennzem

My grey, Daredevil, had his tail amputated last Thursday. This came after six weeks of trying to save his tail after he was bit by a wild animal and developed a nasty infection. It has been a very long road and it seemed like we are approaching the finish line, finally. Daredevil had his dressing removed Tuesday night and the wound/sutures left exposed. It was very sensitive and he was unable to lay down resulting in him trembling, pacing and panting for 17 hours straight despite pain meds (Tramadol). Up until the time his dressing was removed he was back to his old self. We took him back in yesterday to have his dressing put back on. When we got home he ate, lay down and slept for about an hour and a half. Once he got up the whole horrible trembling, pacing and panting began again. Our vet wanted us to increase his Tramadol to three pills three times daily. We gave him three Tramadol last night and it only seemed to make things worse. It almost seemd like he was having a panic attack on top of being uncomfortable. He would not eat his pre-bedtime feeding. Eventually, sometime in the night, he was able to lay down and sleep. This morning he was still panting, shaking and pacing but not as bad. I took him for a walk (which always seems to get his mind off of things). When we got back he ate his breakfast (which he had refused this morning) and is now on his bed snoozing. Has anyone else had this type of experience with Tramadol and or with tail amputation? He is schedule to have his dressing and sutures removed next Wednesday and don't want him suffering until then. I am going to hold his Tramadol today as long as he doesn't seem too uncomfortable. If I do give it to him I will only give him one which he seems to have tolerated well so far.

Guest Energy11

Tramadol CAN have a negative effect like this. Like humans, medications effects different dogs/cats, in different ways. This might not be the medication for your guy, based on what you are describing. Normally, it has a sedative effect, but, again, they are all different.

Might want to ask the vet for something else like one of the NSAIDS ... Deramaxx or Rimadyl, if there are clotting, kidney or liver problems.

Sorry to hear he is having such a hard time! Love, hugs and prayers for you both!

Raisin didn't do well on tramadol, either. She also did not do well on most of the other pain regulators and there was only really one antibiotic I could ever give her that did not cause problems. Maybe she was just sensitive to all meds, I do not know at this point.

If he seems comfortable enough, you are not doing anything wrong by NOT giving it to him. Sometimes it is a good idea not dose too much because then the pain is not "masked" and they will lay down and rest which is what they need to do in the first place to heal.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I would guess he is reacting to the tramadol. My girl is on it and has no issues with it. It knocks her flat if I give her 2 2x a day. Lucy (Rileysmomma) had Riley on it recently (you can search for her thread) and Riley was doing the same thing. Can your vet try another pain killer?

The Girls

I couldn't wait for this morning when I gave Diamond her last tramadol for her amp last week. Dr. Couto said that panting, pacing and shivering could be a side effect of Tramadol. In fact he stated that many times the side effect is misread as pain and the doses are increased. He told me to definitley not increase the Tramadol without first consulting him.

We didn't and her last dose was this morning.

Guest jennzem
I couldn't wait for this morning when I gave Diamond her last tramadol for her amp last week. Dr. Couto said that panting, pacing and shivering could be a side effect of Tramadol. In fact he stated that many times the side effect is misread as pain and the doses are increased. He told me to definitley not increase the Tramadol without first consulting him.

If he didn't yelp when he lays down or gets up I would say he wan't in that much pain. It could be that he isn't in constant pain only when he brushes up against it laying down or getting up. I have Rimadyl but I am hesitant to put anything into his system other than food and his antibiotic at this point.

Guest Energy11

If he didn't yelp when he lays down or gets up I would say he wan't in that much pain. It could be that he isn't in constant pain only when he brushes up against it laying down or getting up. I have Rimadyl but I am hesitant to put anything into his system other than food and his antibiotic at this point.

I would give the vet a call about the Rimadyl. Might do the trick. If you do decide to give it, a Pepcid AC wouldn't hurt, to help his stomach from that, and the antibiotic. Good Luck!

Wow. That seems like a lot of Tramadol to me, as I take it myself for chronic pain.

The first time I gave it to George for his LSS, he acted strangely. Now that he's had it a few times (he gets ONE at bedtime), it makes his sleep startle/aggression MUCH worse, but helps his pain enough so that I am just extra vigilant.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest jennzem
I would have the vet prescribe another pain medicine as it sounds like the tramadol might be causing some "adverse" reactions. I used to use Metacam as an pain med for my greyhounds and all of them seemed to tolerate it OK.

I just put a call in to the vet to see if they can change the med. Rimadyl is not controlling the pain and the Tramadol freaks him out. I was going to ask the group what they've had success with that is grey friendly for pain. I will mention Metacam when they call back.

Guest jennzem
I really like Metacam! Hope that works for you guys! Good Luck, love and prayers!

I just heard back from the vet office and she wanted me to decrease the Tramdol to two three times a day. I was a bit insistent and asked for Metacam. They are going to call me back. UGH!

I just heard back from the vet office and she wanted me to decrease the Tramdol to two three times a day. I was a bit insistent and asked for Metacam. They are going to call me back. UGH!

my girl had terrible effects from Tramadol after surgery. She was a mess, shaking, pacing, panting and wide awake all the time..even with a low dose...after she was off of it, the healing began and she was herself..I hate the drug and will not use it for her of course but all dogs are different and I am sure it works for some

I really like Metacam! Hope that works for you guys! Good Luck, love and prayers!

What you described with the panting sounds like what happened to one of my greyhounds when he was coming out of a sedative for a procedure that a vet hospital did - both the hospital and I concurred that we would NEVER use that sedative again.

You may want to see if your vet will do a consult with OSU - they have a vast amount of experience with greyhounds.

Guest jennzem

I just heard back from the vet. The Rimadyl has to be out of his system for 48 hours before they can start Metacam, so no more Rimadyl. They are still advising two Tramadol 3 times a day. I just gave him two Tramadol and we'll see what the night brings. They are going to follow up with me tomorrow.

If he's been on Tramadol since the beginning, might consider just quitting the Tramadol and keeping him on Rimadyl only. Joseph had a bad enough reaction to Tramadol that we nearly ended up at the e-vet. On Rimadyl alone, he was fine.

I *would* be very concerned about that much pain in the tail a week out. That is not normal. Presume vet has checked for infection? Did they use staples (one could have worked partway loose and be poking him)?

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jennzem

Just an update to let you know that the vet examined Daredevil tonight and found no signs of pain or swelling in his tail. We are going to decrease his Tramadol to one tab three times daily and start Metacam tomorrow after the Rimadyl has been out of his system for 48 hours. He is currently peacefully sleeping on his bed in his jammies. Thank you to everyone for your replies. I cannot thank you enough!

Jenn