Tramadol - Does It Need To Be Given With Food?

Jaynie won't eat this AM and I am afraid to give her Metacam on an empty stomach. I have Tramadol to give her, but I can't remember if it can be given on an empty stomach or not.

My concern is that she won't eat because she's in pain, but I can't relieve the pain without food in her stomach.

I've tried boiled beef, roasted chicken (skinless), cheese and homemade chicken broth. I haven't tried scrambled eggs yet, but last time we went through this, they didn't work either.

Worst case, I suppose I can bring her up to the clinic for a shot, but hate to disturb her.

No - it doesn't. I asked my vet the question yesterday when I needed to give Darcy some painkillers but she had an upset stomach and she'd not eaten,

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

No.

Giving a dog a pill need not be a big deal. I find the easiest way, for the nervous, is to make it a game. I like to straddle the dog (like riding a horse) and then playfully tip back his head, gently open the mouth, and toss it down. Then I follow with loads of lovin'!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you! Now to figure out how to get the pills down - hate to do it, but guess I'll just have to "pill her".

My Indy is so onto the pill trick. He spits out Tramadol and anything else I try to disguise in canned dog food, PB, cooked sweet potato. Will not fall for it. Will not open his mouth. Period.

A few weeks ago, the vet prescribed Amoxicillin 750 mg for Indy (which came in two capsules - one 500 mg; the other 250 mg). I thought, oh boy, how am I going to get him to swallow two capsules twice per day??! So, as I recall other GT'ers suggesting, I went to the deli and purchased some fresh liver sausage (nasty!) and some yummy, soft hamburger buns.

I rolled the capsule in liver sausage and then wrapped the pill in a piece of bun - making a little sandwich! OMG. Much to my delight, Indy fell for it EVERY DAY for two weeks. :ding Woo hoo!!! Also I made a big deal out of it and gave some to my other hound at the same time, so they were both very excited about the new yummy treat.

Good luck!!

Guest lizmego

We wrap pills in Brunsweiger or cream cheese, works like a charm. Rimadyl needs to be given with food. Our vet also recommended giving 10mg of Pepcid AC if we felt Power's stomach was upset with the pill taking.

Thanks everyone! I couldn't get anything to work, not cream cheese, liverwurst, bits of boiled chicken liver, and not a retry of all the things I tried earlier. She just doesn't want to eat.

So I finally wrapped the pill in the smallest amount of cream cheese I could to get it down, and pilled her like you pill a cat. Not my preference, but I needed to make sure she wasn't in pain.

On the up side, she has gotten up to go out twice (once to poop - pudding) and once to pee, and she is drinking water occasionally.

So for now she can sleep as much as she wants, and when she's ready, there's lots of food for her.

The other dogs have been really enjoying little pieces of all the things we've tried :lol: