Leaky Grey Girls

winnie

About a year ago, our now 8.5 y/o grey girl Darcy was diagnosed with a loose sphincter. This came after we noticed that she was peeing while asleep. The vet prescribed Proin. Our vet had us start off with the Proin everyday and then gradually wean her off. We did that with good results. Unfortunately, a few months ago the bed wetting started again. So, back to the Proin.

A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that our now 8 y/o grey girl Bonny started wetting her bed while asleep. We put her on the Proin too. First, everyday for about a week and then to every other day.

Darcy and Bonny are now getting 25 mg of Proin once every other day.

DH and I just returned from vacation. Our pet sitter, who watched both girls at her her house, said that she noticed a total of 6 bed wetting accidents - not sure who was responsible for each one - but she knows that both had accidents at some point due to wet bottoms.

It appears that we need to take both girls to the vet to get this checked out. In the meantime, I'm hoping that other GTers who have girl greys with "leaky" issues share what has worked for them. Is Proin the only therapy? Were you able to eventually wean your greys off Proin? How much Proin works for you? Any other therapies?

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Zuni has incontinence. It developed about 3 months after I adopted her, prior to her 3rd birthday. The vet put her on DES, which is sythnetic Estrogen. It was one pill every week, but that didn't quite stop all the accidents so I was giving her a pill about every 3 or 4 days. Before the end of the year she was a lot better and I stopped giving her the pills. But about a year and half later they came back and i've been giving her the DES again. I'm not sure what the dose is that i'm using, I can check when I get home.

Edited by Pepperjack

my girl takes a 75 mg cystolamine which is a form of proin thats a time release capsule. I tried weaning her off of it at the vets suggestion but when I try the urine just runs down her leg and she wakes in a puddle

Rainey gets DES every 5 days, has for the past 3 years and probably will for the rest of her life. Works great :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest IHeartDogs

I was wondering do you think the girls were drinking more water while you were gone due to changes/nervousness/temperature?

The reason I bring this up is that my girl has a tendency to wet the bed in the summer when she drinks a lot more water. Otherwise, she is fine when it is not too hot.

If the drugs were working fine before vacation, it might just be that... or it could be a need to change/up meds.

I have had one greyhound girly, Maggie who took Proin. The dosage was reduced gradually but she was always on a small daily dose. It did not cause her problems. I would make sure to have their urine tested and cultured to make sure there are not any other problems.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Laura, can your girls wear panties during the night?

Unfortunately, I don't think that will work since the "accidents" can happen at any time of the day/night. This isn't a marking issue - they are out cold sleeping on their beds when it happens. My poor leaky girls can't help it.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Coltrane had a similar problem where he would leave big puddles on the dogs beds. Our vet prescribed Proin, which lessened but didn't stop the leakage. Finally, I took him to an acupuncture vet. The acupuncture did not help, but a homeopathic drug (Sepia) did. After three months on the Sepia, we weaned him off. As far as I know, he hasn't had anymore accidents. :)

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds