Mystery Injury?

Guest ellieb

Guest ellieb

Indigo and Max treat the back door like it is a starting gate. Drives me crazy. We have three concrete steps out. Indigo is always getting scraped up. I have become quite proficient at first aid.

Wednesday evening, they did the usual bolt out the door. Indi scraped her leg. I bandaged her up when she came in. She seemed fine.

Last night, she would give a little yelp when she was trying to lay down. She did this 2 or 3 times, in the course of the evening. I looked her over, thoroughly. I manipulated all four limbs. No yelps or hesitation when I did this.

She has also acted skittish around the back steps since the latest incident. This hasn't happened in the past.

At bedtime last night, I gave her a biscuit after last pee of the day. She dropped it (not uncommon for Miss Grace). She whined and wouldn't lean over to pick it up. Odd. I rubbed, felt, etc. all around her shoulders and neck. Nothing noticeable. I got her to play bow and gave her the cookie. She ate it.

We went in and she curled up on her bed. Slept fine all night. Seems okay, so far, this morning.

DH thinks she is just sore and that the scrape is bothering her.

Naturally, I have a sub job at the jr. high today. Of all days not to be home. I wish I could stay home and observe her.

I will be home at 3:00 or so. Plan to check on her then. <sigh>

Should I call the vet?

Edited by ellieb

Sounds like she's a little sore from that last race out the door. I'd watch it for a couple of days and see if she doesn't improve.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest littlesyd85
She is probably a little sore from her race out the door. She could have landed funny... It may have nothing to do with her little scrap. I wouldn't jump the gun and go to the vet yet. Just observe her over the weekend. If it gets worse or doesn't change in a few days, then call the vet. :hope Hope she is feeling better really soon!

Guest mickie37

So sorry to read about the pain Indigo in experiencing. it sounds muscular to me. My guys used to 'explode' from our door also and I got tired of tending abrasions and worrying about limping, so I did two things. I have a leash by the door and leash one to maintain order during the exit. I also taught the wait command which I use when they are ready to come in.

Good luckohno.gif

Mickie

Guest Energy11

Sounds like it might be a pulled muscle/soreness. Do you have Deramaxx or Rimadyl in the house? Wouldn't hurt to give her that for a few days. I keep Deramaxx here all the time, for just such things.

We have STEEP steps going to our front door. DH had to make a carpeted ramp, because, as you said, ours think it is a starting gate, too. It is even carpeted where they land on the concrete below.

Good Luck, and hopefully, everything will be fine.

I would watch her for a couple of days, she could have tweaked her neck a bit or her shoulder.

If she's not better in a couple of days, I would take her in as she may need an anti inflammatory.

I have the same problem here with the dog door, all 3 will barrel out there and there are 2 cement steps which I have covered with carpet and I do what I can to try to slow them down a little until they hit the grass as they try to go through the dog door all at one time.

Hope today is better for your girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ellieb

Indigo seemed to be improving. Went shopping on Saturday and returned home at 6:30. DH said when he tried to feed the hounds dinner, Indigo didn't want to eat. She is a food bolter, so this is strange!

She was hunching her back, panting and trembling. Her tail was tucked up under her belly. She did not come when I walked into the back door.

We took her to the e-vet. (DH has to lift her into the RAV4) They seemed to think it was a neck strain/sprain. Gave her a pain shot, an anti-inflammatory shot and sent us home with anti-inflammatory pills. Recommended lots of rest.

She is MUCH better today! Wagging her tail, eating, happy.

Feeling so thankful. I was scared spitless!

Ellie

Guest ellieb

SECOND UPDATE:

Tuesday late afternoon, the frequent urination started getting more frequent. Tuesday night, she had me up more than once every 2 hours. It was like having a newborn again! At 4:50 AM, I wasn't quick enough (I AM over 40, Indigo!) She had an accident on the hall rug.

Feeling like a zombie, I canceled my plans for Wednesday and Thursday, to stay home with her. Called the regular vet. He recommended no Prednisolone on Wednesday or Thursday, half dose on Friday/Saturday, and quarter dose on Sunday/Monday. Apparently, you cannot just stop that medication cold turkey(?).

Last night was better. We were only up 3 times between 10:30 and 6:00. I did notice a new symptom. She has a maroonish bruise on the inside of her right front leg, near the "elbow". It is about the size of an oval half dollar. Could it be from the original injury and have manifested later?

Should I call the vet, again? Or just keep an eye on the bruise?

Ellie

Edited by ellieb

I'd keep an eye on the bruise. Most likely from the original injury. If it seems to be spreading or tender, or if other bruises appear, then I'd take her in.

The frequent urination is probably due to the prednisolone. Usually it will diminish after @ a week on the dose. I've never had one had to go that often thru the night, tho.

Hope your sweet pup is better soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MyBoys

I have had 2 of my boys on Pred for different reasons, both times my vet warned me about them having to go more often since they drink a lot of water when they are on it, we spent about 4 days getting up almost every 2 to 3 hours to let them out. It all stopped when they finished the meds so hang in there.

Yes Pred is one of the few drugs that you can not stop cold turkey. You have to ease off of it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• 3 weeks later...

THE LATEST:

So....completely recovered from the mystery injury. Yay!

On Wednesday evening, she came in from yard zoomies with a bloody rear paw. :blink: Bandaged and covered it with a toddler sock (my usual method of lick deterrence).

Thursday morning, it was still bleeding a bit. Took her to the vet. She had ripped her webbing and lost a small chunk of the pad. :ohno Doc wanted to keep her overnight and put a few stitches in.

Called me 20 minutes after I arrived home. She was done and would be ready for pick up in 2 hours. No overnight. :D She came home with 1 week's worth of antibiotics and no bandages. (That kind of surprised me.)

She is doing great. Tries to lick the foot because it is healing and probably itchy. Otherwise, all good.

Do they make steel-toe greyhound boots? :P

Do they make steel-toe greyhound boots? :P

You know she'd just kick herself with the boots and sprout all-new bruises...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You know she'd just kick herself with the boots and sprout all-new bruises...

:rofl

My goodness!

And I thought my houndies were accident prone!!

Glad she is better!

Edited by BrucieDad

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road