Not Sure What To Ask About

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

My Ben Boy's coat isn't as nice as it could be and I'm wondering what I can do to get his coat in really good shape? He needs a bath but I don't dare take him out to Petsmart yet..his brother Bernie would kirk out if he didn't have his brother close by.He has a little scaly patch at the base of his tail with a little dandruff down his back. A vet visit is in order pretty soon, but I want them to be really settled before I spring that on them. Any recomendations for diet ,vitamins ,etc.I have to be careful what I feed him as he has a bowel issue and can't poop unassisted without a poop softener. My vet was supposed to have gotten his records but I haven't heard back anything as of yet.

My other boy Bern has a really nice coat...he loves his raw chicken legs..... :puke nom nom nom...

I swear by Grizzly Salmon Oil for improving skin and coat. Might help him with his bowel movements, too. A great supplement for digestive issues is Fortiflora.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Energy11

I like a food additive calll "The Furminator." Curfew's fur feels like a bunny, and all of their shedding is down! You can Google it. Unfortunately, my AOL search engine isn't working AGAIN.

Hugs to you and your new houndies!

I'd give him a little time...he's only been there a few days and even though it is obvious he's very happy, it's a big change. I wouldn't want to change too much in his diet w/ his "poop issues". I'd let him settle in for a little while until his tummy settles down. It took me over a month to get Mac Daddy's "one day loose poop/one day constipation" under control and another two months to get his coat to where it is today. I'd stick w/ what you're doing for a little while and see if it doesn't all work out.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I agree with not changing too much. Adding some sort of oil sure won't hurt and will more then likely assist in the softer stool issue that you will have to keep an eye on.

Just being in home life will help his coat. He will be petted more often which will help the oils in his skin and also the oils from your hands.

Not laying in the sand turn out pen or on the shredded paper which can dry out their coats.

Basically just time in home life his coat will get better all on it's own :)

Get a Zoom Groom. It's a rubber brush thing-y made by the Kong people. The rubber nubs are soft and massaging on their skin while at the same time getting all the dead, loose stuff out. It also helps distribute his natural skin oils. Even my spook Cash will come running from across the yard when I bring out the Zoom Groom for brushies.

Someone has suggested a "dry" bath of sprinkling something on their coat and brushing really well. I don't remember what it was - baby powder or cornmeal?????? Hopefully someone will remember better! ;)

Salmon oil is the coat additive of choice, but if he has issues with digestion you may not want to add that into his diet. Raw eggs in his food might also help - but again, something in his food may not be the best.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest D_MansMommy

Give him some time. Don't mess with his food. Let him settle in. I brushed D-man and used that as a bonding time. His track coat blew and his fur got really soft :) and he is a total love :wub: I think we need to focus on the pups mental needs more than physical at first. Get to "know" your pup first then deal with diet, supplements ect. JMO :)

Not uncommon for a new hound coming into a home for the 1st time. I found that a very good food and the oils from my own hands petting him will make a big differecne in just a few weeks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

i agree with giving them time. Celeste and Darcy both came right from the track kennel. Neither had a good coat at first, but their coats did improve over a short amount of time. We didn't do anything special either. They just needed to settle in and blow their kennel coats naturally.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Brush lots. Brushing is the best to help get rid of the track coat and loosen the dander.

For really dry patches we use unscented hand cream or baby oil rubbed deep into the spot. We also use diluted spray on/leave in conditioner. A fish oil caplet in the food helps the coat and will help with BMs. Corn starch sprinkle will help the feel of the coat and give him some comfort if he is itchy..

Guest BrisBrindles

I use a rubber horse curry (sp?) brush like THIS one, except it's sparkly blue...or used to be :lol. As you can see, they are pretty cheap, also very soft and have yet to meet a grey that didn't love being brushed with it. In fact, it's the only thing other than food that they come running for.

Give him some time. Don't mess with his food. Let him settle in. I brushed D-man and used that as a bonding time. His track coat blew and his fur got really soft :) and he is a total love :wub: I think we need to focus on the pups mental needs more than physical at first. Get to "know" your pup first then deal with diet, supplements ect. JMO :)

I agree. Merlin's coat was dry and itchy when we adopted him too. It happens a lot. I started giving him some fish oil but I didn't do it immediately - I let his stomach settle down first. Eventually I switches to Grizzly salmon oil and his coat has been incredibly soft ever since. When we adopted Sagan, I started him on Grizzly salmon oil too soon and he had the runs as a result. I waited a while, then started with just one pump a day, then slowly two pumps a day, and now, almost a year later, he gets two pumps in every meal. :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I vote for oil to the diet, it took a good 6 months before my boy's coat was in good shape, with good food, and plenty of water, and a good brushing it will be beautiful in no time, Good Luck