Advice Needed

Iwas wondering if you good folks on GT could give me some advice on nail trimming. my boy pepper is a seven year old grey x saluki. the last time his nails were trimmed was about march, while he was at the vet having a wound stitched,while under sedation.his nails are black and long,i have no problem cutting them with nail clippers,but pep will have none of it.i tried today while my daughter was feeding pep treats but he was having none of it ,and got quite nasty.i could take pep to the vets,but that would mean sedation,pep gets stressed enough as it is,i suppose i could try a muzzle and just go for it ,any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks ,peter

Guest Energy11

Our Goldie is EXACTLY the same! We have had to sedate her in the past, and she does NOT do well with sedation! We have had some success holding a small jar of peanut butter in front of her, and DH holds it, while I trim the nails. We can only do one or two a day, but it is working ... Better than sedation. Goldie will never have short nails :-( Good Luck! I feel your pain! She started this four years ago ... and, I never "quicked" her.

I'd slap a muzzle on the dog and also a leash. Find a place to attach the leash to hold the dog in one spot. Then, mess with its feet. I'd mess with the dog's feet every day, not necessarily cutting the nails, but just messing with the feet. If the dog gets snotty, there are several ways to correct the behavior. In addition, I EXPECT my dogs to behave and I'll not tolerate any misbehavior when it comes to trimming their nails.

Eliane

Heidi was horribly afraid of having her nails trimmed until we figured out that a peanut butter jar would distract her. I put Heidi's muzzle on and give her an almost empty peanut butter jar. The peanut butter distracts her enough to let me dremel her nails. A kong with peanut butter works well too. The muzzle makes it take longer for her to get the peanut butter and also gives me piece of mind while I'm doing it.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Guest Energy11
I'd slap a muzzle on the dog and also a leash. Find a place to attach the leash to hold the dog in one spot. Then, mess with its feet. I'd mess with the dog's feet every day, not necessarily cutting the nails, but just messing with the feet. If the dog gets snotty, there are several ways to correct the behavior. In addition, I EXPECT my dogs to behave and I'll not tolerate any misbehavior when it comes to trimming their nails.

Eliane

Tried that with Goldie. Nope! She attacks! You are right about maybe letting the vet or tech try, but that didn't work with her either. My other four, are fine, and I do know how to do nails, having worked at a vet for four years ... Goldie is just an exception.

Heidi was horribly afraid of having her nails trimmed until we figured out that a peanut butter jar would distract her. I put Heidi's muzzle on and give her an almost empty peanut butter jar. The peanut butter distracts her enough to let me dremel her nails. A kong with peanut butter works well too. The muzzle makes it take longer for her to get the peanut butter and also gives me piece of mind while I'm doing it.

THANK YOU for the muzzle idea, to go with the peanut butter :-)))

We've completely given up trying to cut Mickey's nails. She fights us so hard that we are afraid she is going to hurt herself. We take her to the vet about once a month, and she is done is less then 5 minutes. They usually don't even charge us. Much better for all involved.

I am told that the trick is using a grooming table, and bring the legs back towards the body so the pup can't see what's going on.. You can try that, we are sticking with the vet's groomer.. :)

One more thing to try - Our Toni HATES to have her nails done while she's standing up, but if I sit down on her bed when she's relaxed and sleepy she'll let me pet her and massage her feet and trim her nails. I can take my time and get them as short as possible without stressing her or having all the blood rushing to my head from bending over. Toni does NOT have any space or bed issues and she's very motivated by attention, so it works for her. I wouldn't try it on a dog with any space issues.

If Pepper is anxious and combative you should try and desensitize him. Start by just touching his feet, maybe even only one nail or one toe to start, and gradually working up to nail trimming. The peanut butter jar is a great idea as a distraction, or get some really irresistable treat - hot dogs or liverwurst - as a reward for letting you have access to his feet/nails. This may take some time. Don't add on any other toes/feet until he's completely OK with the lower level of exposure.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Another option would be to muzzle your hound, then have a strong friend pick him up so his feet are off the ground. Then try clipping his nails. This is something that we do at our group if there is a really difficult hound.

We had a foster that was pretty bad about his nails, but if you rubbed his eyes while you were cutting, he couldn't see what you were doing- and although you had to be quick, it could be done.

One of my vets had me tap a dog on the head when something they didn't want was being done...took their attention away. Thakes 2 people tho.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Energy11
Another option would be to muzzle your hound, then have a strong friend pick him up so his feet are off the ground. Then try clipping his nails. This is something that we do at our group if there is a really difficult hound.

Yep... tried that too with Goldie. Nope... she went nuts! :-( I DREAD cutting her nails, and she will be nine in Dec., so I do NOT want to sedate anymore.

We had a foster that was pretty bad about his nails, but if you rubbed his eyes while you were cutting, he couldn't see what you were doing- and although you had to be quick, it could be done.

One of my vets had me tap a dog on the head when something they didn't want was being done...took their attention away. Thakes 2 people tho.

I did whatsisname singlehandedly- without quicking him, to boot!

For a temporary distraction at the vet's office, I wrap my index finger in a tissue, and clean out the ear. That's normally good for about 15 seconds' worth of blissful ignorance as to what's going on for the hound.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I've been through this nail clipping problem with every single one of my dogs. I suck at clipping nails! And, I hate taking a dog to the vet to have it done. However, I love the Dremel.

So, here's what I did with Duncan:

(With each step, Duncan got a treat for doing that action. Each action was performed several times before moving to the next. If Duncan failed, we moved back to the last lesson he succeeded with.)

1. I sit down on the floor holding the Dremel (off). When Duncan looks at it, I treat him.

2. Then I move to treating him when he touches his nose to it.

3. I turn on the Dremel, and treat when he looks at it.

4. With the Dremel on, I touch a foot. I continue until all feet have been touched.

5. I pick up each foot.

6. I touch the Dremel to one nail. That's all -- just a touch.

7. Time is increased with the Dremel on the nail until the nail can be done.

I used really, really tiny treats. One of the little soft, chewy treats in a zippered bag would be cut up into about 10 pieces.

The key is to take it slow. It will give Goldie a chance to get comfortable with the Dremel, and you will be able to figure out how to use it at the same time. If the process takes a week, Goldie's nails aren't going to be much longer than they are now. If it takes a month, it still won't matter. The idea is for her to look forward to having her nails done.

BTW, now I ask Duncan if he wants his nails done. He goes to his bed, flops his front paws over the edge, and waits happily for the pedicure to begin. That is a huge difference from the squirming, yelping mass of canine unhappiness I was used to. Dremeling is a greyt change.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I work as a groomer and what our salon normally suggests to owners is to practice touch ing the dogs feet, when you are sitting on the floor or sofa petting your dog work your way down the dogs leg and touch thier feet if the dog is ok slowly lift the feet and gives the toes a quick rub and then go back to the body... do this everyday slowly adding more pressure and more time touching the feet once you are able to hold the dogs feet with out and issues then take the nail clippers and lightly tap them on the dogs nails to get them used to something un-natural touching them. once gain this must be done daily and slowly until the dog is comfortable.

Just remember to give LOTS of praise and positive encouragement, this will take time and i know it works i have had a client working with her dog (who has attacked me for touching the feet) she has been working with this dog for 9 months now, i finally cut his nails only 3 of them but i didnt get attacked.

Forcing the dog isnt always going to work and can make the fear worse, the worst thing you can do is not touch your dogs feet... what would you do if your dog got its foot stuck some where and was injured are you going to stand there and wait for a groomer/vet to show up and free your dog? even if you dont do your dogs nails you need to have that trust with your dog so your can touch him anywhere .

good luck

mmmmmm...... a couple of options comes to mind. i have lived thru this w/ my late scottie(he was a killer to trim) and welsh terrier(terriers are notoriously bad w/ their nails). felix, my g.h. has been conditioned to now let me do his nails.

1. develop a relationship w/ a good easy going groomer and bargain for a price, have it done weekly. always give the pup a treat after.

2. bribe your best friend who will be unconditionally faithful- not the dog- a human, and have them hold a leash and muzzle the pupper. have a ton of liver treats and either try to clip away or

better yet- use a dremel and desensitize the pup to the dremel.

felix hated the low keyed groomer and pissed all over the place with the nail clipper. so we went the dremel route, a good investment. just run the dremel near the pup, let them hear it. touch their nails with the dremel off, treat w/ liver treats if he doesn't freak. eventually have the pup muzzled, again repeat the touching and shove some liver in between the grid of the muzzle. repeat and eventually start the dremel and do one or two nails a day. ask your best, dearest friend to hold the leash, feed the pup treats and start grinding away...a little each time.

take your friend out for a beer or ice cream.

oh,there is a good link somewhere on how to dremel a Doberman nails. i am sure you can find it on google, i did.