Amputation Or No Amputation

Guest Parsniptoast

Guest Parsniptoast

It's been almost two months now and Reg is still struggling and limping with his left front outside toe (the 'turning toe) that was broken.

The Vet has given us the option of amputation which, I admit, part of me wants and part of me doesn't.

I am interested in anyone's opinion on this - is it a good idea given that Reg is likely to suffer with the broken toe for a very long time (lack of flexibility, stiffness, pain on running and making turns etc)

Would amputation cause problems later in life?

Or, as the Vet suggests, would it be just five days of discomfort before he's up and running around as right as rain? I'm hoping it's this one. I hate to see my boy lose a toe for no reason but if it means he can get running and playing with other dogs again then I'm all for it.

I think I just want reassurance that I'm making the right decision so your comments are very welcome!

Thanks!

While I have never had to deal with this personally, I've known several hounds who've had a toe amputated. Unless someone pointed it out or you happened to look closely at the paw, you'd have never known there was anything "different" about them. They were all healthy, happy, active dogs.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Fiona is missing a toe, the only problem it causes her is that she gets a corn on the remaining "front center" toe that has to be hulled from time to time. She limps on that leg but I almost think it is habit or occasionally irritation from the corn. She runs just as fast as all the boys though!!!! It is funny to see her "limp" out the door to take off full speed across the yard to beat the boys to the fence :rolleyes:

Only you can decide for your grey about general anesthesia vs broken toe.

Dude had a toe amp and it's not been a problem at all. The hardest part was keeping him inactive for 2 weeks! His foot did change shape to accomodate the amp and we'll need to be watchful for arthritis in that foot. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

They deal incredibly well with amputated outside toes. I know several greys who have lost a toe and unless you're looking for it, you don't notice.

I bet he'll feel tonnes better with the pesky toe gone.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest 4greys4me

My poor baby, Felicity, had a front middle toe amputated 2 days ago. Although yesterday she rested comfortably, today she has been crying all day. She is on a pain patch and I have given her Tramadol for break through pain. However, she is still crying and now I don't know what to do as the vet is now closed.

Please talk to your vet about this.

Edited by 4greys4me

:nod Amputate. I knew a sweet boy who was missing TWO toes on his right front foot. You'd never know he didn't have them...actually I didn't notice for a LONG time until I saw him laying down one day :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest greybookends

Miss Daytona is missing 2 toes on one of her rear feet and she doesn't miss them. I had a foster who also lost a toe and is doing just fine. He'll never miss it.

Guest goofydog

Go ahead and amputate, your pup will thank you for it. Get Em was in and out of surgery in 8 minutes and other than wanting to mess with the stitches he never even noticed that he was a three toed sloth! I still can't get the groomers to give me a discount on nail trims tho :lol

before going the amputation road, I would always try to get the broken one healed before. Breaks do heal with

the time, but it's necessary to immobilize the toe sufficiently for about 3 weeks and later start moving with caution.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

while I do think it's important to try to see if the toe can heal your grey will be fine without it. The outside toes are not weight baring toes so that makes it easier. I have two greys missing toes and they do absolutely fine. Did your vet explain why it's not healing properly? It's been two months which is sufficient time to heal. If the toes bothering your grey I seriously doubt they will have pain for long. Tramadol will help.

Guest RocketDog

If it hurts him enough to cause constant limping, I'd take it off. We're dealing with a similar problem on our boy, and we're going to have to schedule the surgery soon. I've wrapped it every day for weeks and weeks and weeks and as soon as the wrapping comes off and he takes a step, BOINK! out the toe goes. Sucks, but amputating a toe is relatively minor compared to amputating a leg, and from everything I've read they are usually up and running pretty quickly afterwards.

Two toe amputations here. Bella had her rear back leg toe taken off, it was deformed and the nail was growing into the pad (done when she was a puppy when she was getting spayed). No difficulties with recovery but she also had major leg surgery when she was 12 weeks old, so it was old hat to her.

My first grey Kansas has suspected cancer in a rear inner toe, amputated and no difficulties recovering or after. If the toe isn't healing and is causing constant pain I would amputate. Good luck Kansas was 7 when she had it done.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella