Elevated Creatine

Brought one of my boys in for a dental Thursday and his Creatine level was 1.8 and they want to recheck in a month. No other abnormalities however I don't have any other bloodwork to compare to as he's new family member. I've been down this path before with my other greys and even went so far to have an ultrasound only to hear that Klem had "unusually small kidneys". Gee thanks. Another dog I just periodically checked every few months and it eventually normalized. The outer limit my vet uses is 1.2 So my question is this, is 1.8 high or is this normal in this breed?

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest KennelMom

From Dr. Stack's site:

Creatinine

Greyhounds: .8 - 1.6

Other dogs: .0 - 1.0

Greyhound creatinines run higher than other breeds as a function of their large lean muscle mass. A study at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine found that 80% of retired greyhounds they sampled had creatinine values up to 1.6 times as high as the top of the standard reference range for "other dogs." As a lone finding, an "elevated creatinine" is not indicative of impending kidney failure. If the BUN and urinalysis are normal, so is the "elevated" creatinine.

http://greythealth.com/blood.htm

If everything else (BUN, BUN:creatinine ratio, urine specific gravity) is normal, wouldn't worry about it. Greyhounds can run high creatinine, and it'll go a bit higher still if dog is slightly dehydrated, nervous, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Creatine is fine :) What is the BUN?

I didn't ask b/c it was normal. Thanks everyone for what I suspected to be the case. If I have a reason to bring him back for anything else I can have it rechecked. Don't want to be considered a neglectful Mom :unsure

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest greyscot

I've just gone through this. I asked for a senior blood panel for my greyhound when he was in for his boosters. I was shocked that his kidney values were off as he seemed perfectly healthy. Anyways after testing every three months his values are now normal soooo I would not panic. I know that is easier said than done.

I would have a "first morning" urinalysis done and if that is fine, I would repeat the creat, BUN, and urinalysis in a month.

If protein shows up in the urine or the SG is not in range, then you might want to consider a lower protein kibble and then retest.

Barbara I went through this with Zim when I firs got her. My 1st vet told me she had kidney failure & had to be on the low protein diet. Well after 6 months of this diet & Zim having constant diarrhea I posted here & did some research. Stopped the diet learning that this was normal for a greyhound. I don't even have it checked anymore. As she is now getting older I will have checked again at some point in the future.

Guest HersheysMom

Sonie's runs about 1.4

Johnny B's has run between 1.7 - 1.8. with everything else being normal. So I think 1.8 is still within "greyhound range."

Zola's runs high but in normal range for a greyhound all the time. Her kidney function is always high so I add lots of water to her food. It's the only way to get her to drink water.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.