Blitz - More Issues - Need Your Advice

Guest BeauBlitzMom

Guest BeauBlitzMom

Hi Everyone - This is a request for your advice, and an update on Mr. Beau-Blitz, the 9-year old greyhound that had the MRI on Thursday.

He came home to us last night. Tufts didn't find anything conclusive. MRI came back fine, spinal tap came back normal, and all of the x-rays came back normal, too. So, no cancer, no meningitis, no "significant" disc rupture/compression.

But now he has TWO problems:

1. He still has the original problem (the pain in his neck/front left leg), AND

2. Now he's also constipated to the point where what little stool is coming out is covered in bloody mucus!

I put his little stool in a plastic bag. When I pressed the stool inside the bag, it was very hard in the center with the rust-colored mucus all around it. Should I be concerned about the bloody mucus? Most of the mucus was NOT bright red, but there were several drops on the ground afterwards that WERE bright red.

Tufts put him on three pain meds for his neck/leg pain:

- Rimadyl (75mg twice a day)

- Gabapentin (300mg every eight hours)

- Tramadol (50mg every eight hours)

Could these pain meds be causing the constipation? I'm pretty surprised Tufts didn't notice the constipation/bloody stool. Should I give him some pumpkin? He's drunk about a half a bowl of water (about 14-16 ounces) since he came home last night. He wouldn't eat his breakfast this morning, but he did lap up the low-sodium chicken broth I mixed with it. He took his pills (I wrapped them in balogna), and he did eat one petite-size greenie.

I feel like crying. I don't really want to give him the pain medication because I'm pretty sure that's what is causing the constipation, but I must because I know he's in pain. I'm certain he's in pain because after 12 hours of not having any pain meds (from noon until midnight last night), he was panting non-stop and beginning to whimper. I gave him the Rimadyl at midnight. He seemed to sleep comfortably after that, but was panting again this morning (heavy enough to wake me up) by 5:30am.

Any advice you can provide would be grealy appreciated. Right now, I must pretend to be happy and go get Mom and Dad up and fed and ready for the day...

Thank you again!!!!!

Guest BeauBlitzMom

Thanks - I will discontinue the Rimadyl. I called Tufts and they said the same thing. I'm also going to boil chicken, top it with pumpkin and make sure he drinks lots of water.

I'm not certain about an acupuncture vet. I'll have to check into that. Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, I can't advise on the constipation issue - my Bumper is on that pain cocktail but it doesn't bind him up. I wanted to post because I have a similar story, only the pain / swelling in Bumper was in his lumbar, causing near paralysis to his hind legs. The saga has been going on for about 6 weeks. Let me give you some details:

Symptom: ataxia in the hind legs and pain causing loss of balance and inability to walk.

Diagnostics: lot's of manipulation, MRI, spinal tap

Results: MRI was normal, spinal fluid normal, though higher concentration of lymphocytes over other inflammatory cells

Probable cause: autoimmune disorder attacking his spine.

Treatment: off the NSAIDs, onto Dexamethazone (steroid). Pain controlled by Gabapentin and Tramadol - same dose 2-3 times per day.

Steroids are hard on Bumper and we have a taper plan over the next 6 weeks.

In the 4.5 weeks since I wheeled Bumper into the hospital on a gurney, he is gaining weight, able to get up and walk on his own (still wobbly so we are careful), is generally in good spirits and for the most part, isn't in any obvious pain. His neurologist is happy with his progress and because nerves take a long time to heal, we are expecting a 2-3 month recovery. Only time will tell if anything is permanent and what his quality of life will be. He is 4.5 years old.

If Tufts hasn't considered autoimmune, you may want to suggest it. It can attack anywhere in the body (sending an immune response and inflammatory cells when nothing is required, causing issues with swelling and pain). I am told there is no definitive diagnosis for AI but ruling out other possibilities lead us to here. At least the treatment is working.

Good luck, hopefully you can get o the source of the issue.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Regarding constipation, Gracie's poop has become very firm since she's been on tramadol 50mg every 8 hours. Nothing else in her diet is different so maybe the medicine caused it. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Most likely the tramadol; blood from straining and very hard stool. NSAIDs would be more likely to produce diarrhea.

I would probably give 2-3 teaspoons of oil twice a day for a few days (olive, corn, fish, canola) to loosen things up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Yes, could be the NSAIDS causing the blood, or just plain straining to poop :-(

The Tramadol can caues constipation, but never did in my Max.

You can also try unsweetened applesauce to get his bowels to move. Mine love it, but I have to be careful giving it to them, BECAUSE it causes loose poopies.

Good Luck, and I'd take it one day at a time. Sounds like a combo of everything. You MIGHT see the bleeding stop once you no longer have the constipation.

Love and hugs from us!

I agree with all the above posts, but would stop the pumpkin, oil of any type will help, alos, honey ,or kayro syrup with warm water,, poor pup

Guest BeauBlitzMom
Unfortunately, I can't advise on the constipation issue - my Bumper is on that pain cocktail but it doesn't bind him up. I wanted to post because I have a similar story, only the pain / swelling in Bumper was in his lumbar, causing near paralysis to his hind legs. The saga has been going on for about 6 weeks. Let me give you some details:

Symptom: ataxia in the hind legs and pain causing loss of balance and inability to walk.

Diagnostics: lot's of manipulation, MRI, spinal tap

Results: MRI was normal, spinal fluid normal, though higher concentration of lymphocytes over other inflammatory cells

Probable cause: autoimmune disorder attacking his spine.

Treatment: off the NSAIDs, onto Dexamethazone (steroid). Pain controlled by Gabapentin and Tramadol - same dose 2-3 times per day.

Steroids are hard on Bumper and we have a taper plan over the next 6 weeks.

In the 4.5 weeks since I wheeled Bumper into the hospital on a gurney, he is gaining weight, able to get up and walk on his own (still wobbly so we are careful), is generally in good spirits and for the most part, isn't in any obvious pain. His neurologist is happy with his progress and because nerves take a long time to heal, we are expecting a 2-3 month recovery. Only time will tell if anything is permanent and what his quality of life will be. He is 4.5 years old.

If Tufts hasn't considered autoimmune, you may want to suggest it. It can attack anywhere in the body (sending an immune response and inflammatory cells when nothing is required, causing issues with swelling and pain). I am told there is no definitive diagnosis for AI but ruling out other possibilities lead us to here. At least the treatment is working.

Good luck, hopefully you can get o the source of the issue.

Poor Bumper! I will pray for him and for your family. Six weeks is a long time!!

By the way, does anyone know of any test that can confirm soft tissue damage?? Humans are diagnosed with torn ligaments all the time - I'll have to ask my nursing friends what test(s) are performed to confirm, but if there is a test for a human I'm surprised there isn't one for dogs!

I sure hope Blitz doesn't have AI. The spinal tap didn't indicate anything at all that would lead us to believe he does (for example, he didn't have an elevated lymphocyte count), but they did mention that inflammatory disease can occur anywhere in the body and the spinal tap only tested for that area.

Interestingly, they had Blitz on Dexamethazone for about 3 days right before he was admitted on Wednesday, and that's when he got significantly worse (by Wed morning, he could barely walk and had stayed awake the whole night Tuesday panting and trying to move around). So he's off the steriods.

I'm feeling better now that I have some ideas on how to cure the bloody stools and constipation today (thanks to all who suggested oil and applesauce!). I can wait out the lameness for the next several weeks and hope to see an improvement, provided Blitz isn't in pain. He seems to be comfortable (albeit tired!) on the gabapentin and tramadol. Tufts didn't say to discontinue the tramadol so I'm not going to do so yet, but if the bloody stools persist it's next on my list!

Thanks again to everyone for the swift and helpful responses - again, this is a wonderful forum!!!

Guest Energy11

The only test I know of, to diagnose soft tissue damage, is MRI, and I am not sure it even THAT is totally conclusive. What he is on, seems like a good course, and once you get him to poop, he certainly will feel better. Mine got NUTS over the unsweetened applesauce! Hope Blitz does too :-)) Hug him for us! D

Guest Tenderhearts

I'm on tramadol for my back pain, and it definitely can cause constipation if I'm not careful! I'm sorry your boy is still in pain, and I hope a solution is found soon! :hope :hope :hope

Guest barkdogs

I have had very good luck with a veterinary acupuncturist here in Philly. I am sure Tufts can recommend one. Good luck to you and your hound!