Corns

Guest yardcopmom

Bee Propolis from the the Health Food store. Worked great for Solo's corn.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

I have been using bee propolis for my two. Garry gets it applies topically and Missy is taking the oral version. I believe it is helping Garry as I have been able to hull it myself easily..but I have had them both hulled by the vet three times. He is limping now, but I don't see much of anything to hull. But he pulls his foot away when I touch the corn, so I know it is there..probably under the skin.

Guest Tiffany

WOW! I can get my Colloidal Silver from one of my work ditsys CHEAP! I've gotta remember to order it next time and try it! Thanks for the tip

Guest arlosmom

We also have corns. Kingfish has two right now one on each hind leg. He is taking the bee propolis but currently we are applying salycilic acid topically. I have never heard of the colloedal silver. The first corn is not as bad but the newer one has become quite sore for him lately. My vet is uncomfortable cutting the toe, but my former vet who retired cut one out of Arlo and it has never come back. He did have a stitch that we had trouble with that would not dissolve. I could certainly use more advice as well on home remedies.

How do you apply the bee propolis. Is it not sticky. Kingfish loves it so much I think he would lick it off. Do you put a sock on the foot?

Edited by arlosmom

We also have corns. Kingfish has two right now one on each hind leg. He is taking the bee propolis but currently we are applying salycilic acid topically. I have never heard of the colloedal silver. The first corn is not as bad but the newer one has become quite sore for him lately. My vet is uncomfortable cutting the toe, but my former vet who retired cut one out of Arlo and it has never come back. He did have a stitch that we had trouble with that would not dissolve. I could certainly use more advice as well on home remedies.

How do you apply the bee propolis. Is it not sticky. Kingfish loves it so much I think he would lick it off. Do you put a sock on the foot?

Oh yeah, it is super-sticky. Think super glue. It is also quite pungent. I tried socks the first time and managed to drag the propolis all over the fur on her lower legs. Not fun at all. Now I make Mandy lay down, put a paper plate under the first foot, put the propolis on each toe (she has corns on every foot), put a piece of non-stick gauze over the propolis and secure it with a little light-duty surgical tape. I take the gauze off after about an hour. I've seen the little square Band-aids suggested, but 16 each day would get costly since I put the stuff on each toe. Mandy doesn't chew at the gauze, but I don't let her unattended while it is on. Oh, and you may want to trim the hair between the paw pads -- that was a mess the first time I applied the propolis.

I'm having some success with the propolis, but my vet and I are reserving judgement for a couple of months to see how it goes in the longer-term. She did tell me that Mandy's worst, oldest, and most vexing corn was larger but much easier to hull -- she came out to see if I had been doing something different.

I've been considering the propolis capsules too.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

My vet is uncomfortable cutting the toe,

Have you seen the hulling procedure linked in the other thread? No cutting needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest arlosmom
My vet is uncomfortable cutting the toe,

Have you seen the hulling procedure linked in the other thread? No cutting needed.

I read the other thread awhile back but I did not see the hulling procedure awile back. My old vet and the ortho vet here in Wilmington generally believe that hulling will not keep the corns from recurring. But then again I don't think they have encountered dogs with multiple corns. My current vet does not want to cut because of the risk of bone infection to the toe and I'll be honest when Arlo's toe was done the healing process was not easy. I don't think my new vet is familiar with hulling either because he was not familiar with corns at all. Right now we are going with the acid and bee propolis. It has softened the first corn and the second is all of sudden rising up. Maybe it will pop out.

My old vet and the ortho vet here in Wilmington generally believe that hulling will not keep the corns from recurring.

But it's so quick and simple, it's worth a try. Plus, often it provides instant relief for the dog.

Zema's did come back when hulled, but in between times she had no soreness and was able to walk pain-free on concrete. After many hullings, we finally did get to a time when hulling didn't provide relief. So then we hulled once more and ran over the hulled surface lightly with the surgical laser. Zero recovery time, zero soreness, corn free for a couple years now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest arlosmom
My old vet and the ortho vet here in Wilmington generally believe that hulling will not keep the corns from recurring.

But it's so quick and simple, it's worth a try. Plus, often it provides instant relief for the dog.

Zema's did come back when hulled, but in between times she had no soreness and was able to walk pain-free on concrete. After many hullings, we finally did get to a time when hulling didn't provide relief. So then we hulled once more and ran over the hulled surface lightly with the surgical laser. Zero recovery time, zero soreness, corn free for a couple years now.

I would like to try the hulling when they get soft enough. One has shrunken and is not longer felt under the skin but you can see the outline, the new one is rising up and is more sore for him. I don't think I know any vets here that have ever had any experience with corns. None of the people locally in my adoption group have ever had a dog with corns except one and she had her dogs corn removed by the ortho vet. So they probably don't know how to hull either.

I just printed out the article and took it to my vet. He'd never seen a corn or the article but thought it was interesting and was willing to give it a try.

The corn doesn't need to be soft to come out -- you just need to be able to differentiate the edges of it, and sometimes Bag Balm, etc. does help with that.

ETA: And once my vet had tried it for himself, he thought it was SO COOL! :lol :lol :lol

Guess you had to be there, but it was pretty funny. The vet in question is very quiet and noncommittal. Closest I've ever seen him to excited.

Guest longdogs

Some people claim success with various remedies but corns are due to pressure so can't be 'cured' that way. Once a corn is temporarily fixed, the pressure need to be corrected by padding or possibly surgery.

Some people claim success with various remedies but corns are due to pressure so can't be 'cured' that way. Once a corn is temporarily fixed, the pressure need to be corrected by padding or possibly surgery.

Would that explain why: Garry the toe that his corns are on is deformed: it sticks up higher than the other and appears to have more pressure on when he walks. He has flat feet in general.

And Missy, who has LS..has corns on her hind legs...she drags them. She gets acupuncture for her back problems.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Buzz has a corn on his back foot. I have it hulled by a friend once a month. I do this to relieve the pain but I don't expect it to cure it which it doesn't. I've tried Bee Propolis with no results. I'll try that silver stuff next.

Guest littlesyd85
Monarch has a reoccurring corn on her front foot. If your vet knows how to do the hulling procedure, you should have him/her show you how to do it. That is what I did. Now I know how to do it and I purchased a flat tipped elevator (the tool you use). So if and when it comes back I can do the hulling myself. It is really easy! My vet said that after you hull the corn then put abreva on it once daily. I was told to do this by Dr. Couto at OSU as well as by Dr. Bill Feeman. It seems to be pretty effective. Good luck!