Miles Dental - Omg - Another Update Page 1

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

Update Sunday:

Miles is so much better today. He has stopped drooling blood and ate all his dinner tonight with real enjoyment.

I took him and Ava to the park this morning for a short walk. They both got lots of pets and attention from many people who were there for a bike race. They even got their picture taken by a reporter for the local newspaper who was covering the race. Together Miles and Ava made quite an impression.

I will try to get some good pictures of Miles and Ava togther and post them in C&F in the next few days.

I adopted Miles last Friday knowing he would need a dental but not knowing how bad his teeth were. They were very bad. I scheduled a dental for him as soon as I could and he is being worked on as I type. I called for an update (worried mama that I am) and they had just finished one side of his mouth. He has lost 12 teeth on one side alone and his gums are in a terrible state from infection.

I know he will be on antibiotics and I have Metacam at the ready but once I get him home what can I do he help him the most? What can I do to help his mouth heal quickly and reduce the pain?

I'm feel so badly for him and his poor mouth and I'm worried as he has been under anesthesia a long time already.

Sharon

Update:

Miles came home from the vets at 8:00pm yesterday. He was under for as long as was safe and they managed to finish the dental. Miles lost 26 teeth and they found a 1 ½" piece of stick wedged into a tooth and his gums. Who knows how long that has been there? His gums are badly diseased and most of the holes could not be sutured closed. It will be mushy food on the menu for Miles for quite some time. His organs have been compromised from his poisonous mouth but with clean teeth and a good diet he should recover. Miles raced at 78lbs but weighed in at the vet at 75lbs. His muscles are atrophied but hopefully can be regained with exercise.

[/color]

Miles had been in a pet home for 5 years and this is the condition in which he came to me. I have some choice words to say to these people but since I am a lady (stop laughing!) I will refrain, but I have the e-mail all written in my head.

[/color]

It was a tough night for all of us. No one slept very much and Miles was completely looped from the anesthesia and the pain meds. The vet loaded him up with antibiotics and pain meds before he came home so Kevin carried him to my bedroom as Miles could not walk on his own. Around 2:30am we went outside then I managed to get some scrambled eggs and more pain meds into him. He ate about half his breakfast which is a disgusting slop that he seemed to enjoy it but I think his mouth hurt too much to eat it all. I'll try again later. He is passed out on a dog bed next to me and seems to be much more comfortable than yesterday. In a couple of days he should be a new and happier dog.

I think I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for the vet bill. Don't look if you get queasy easily…$1222.00 vet bill + $400.00 for the road trip to Calgary to get him and I've only had him for one week.

Send me good withes that I win the lottery.

Sharon

post-2477-1250874963_thumb.jpg

Edited by GriffinsMom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest patti909

Last year Luke lost 16 teeth. He came home on pain meds.

And surprisingly he ate better than he had in months and months.

He never missed a meal! He still enjoys pigs ears and other bones.

When my precious bridge boy Frasier lost over 25 (26 I think) teeth at once, he did very well. 2 doses of pain meds and then he was good to go. He missed on day of meals and then ate his normal food (raw, but I ground his up for him) and was like a different dog without all those nasty teeth. Like your dog, he came to me with horrible teeth, I tried for 6 months to save some of them (brushed twice a day and so forth) and it made no difference at all. He did great and I"m sure Miles will too. :)

Oh man, poor guy. You have pain meds on board and they'll probably give him a shot as well so you should be good to go.

What I have done in the past which was very helpful to avoid sewlling, I applied ice after they were home and comfortable.

Feel better handsome, after a day or two I bet he feels much better with those bad teeth gone

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hobbes just had a dental and removed well over 20 teeth at one time, the only ones not removed were his four canines. He had some complication which kept him at the vets for a couple days but once he was home he bounced right back. Other then soft food, antibiotics and pain killers we really didn't do to much different from normal. I felt terribly guilty about removing all his teeth the first couple days when he was all swollen and sore but now that he is healed I don't regret it for a second. He feels so much better now that he doesn't have all those rotten teeth in his mouth and judging by how much his personality changed he must have been in pain for a while.

I hope Miles recovery is quick and uneventful.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest Fasave

My guy lost 18 teeth right after I adopted him at the age of 7. My experience was the same as others stated here. He actually got me up in the middle of the night for food :lol One thing to be aware of is that he may still be bleeding when he comes home so have plenty of towels on hand to place on his bed or where ever he chooses to sleep. Remember, dogs have 42 teeth (I think) so still a few to go. Let's us know how he is when he gets home.

Guest greytkidsmom

Just think of all of the greyt ETS pictures you will get :)

Seriously, hope Miles recovers riteawayquik.

Kebo has lost a lot of teeth - after a dental we just use a "small dog" kibble and get it really soupy and he laps it up. No problems.

Guest UESBrindle

When we took William for his cleaning in May the vet did say that if teeth did need to come out, the dog would honestly be in much better shape and be able to eat easier than being in pain with bad teeth.

I hope the infection in the gums can get cleared up and hopefully the pain maintinence will be easy and not needed for too long.

How is he this morning?

Poor pup, I think he will do just fine, if his teeth were so bad, he will be better off without them, just think how bad you would feel with all those bad teeth, pain, pain meds and anitboitics on board he will be well in no time!

Guest Liz_in_PA

I knew someone who finally realized that her teeth and mouth were infected and had them all pulled. Over the next few days while her chipmunk cheeks were receding, we watched the color of her skin change from a dingy gray to a normal healthy color. If it's anything like that for a dog, getting them yanked has to be better.

Oh that poor boy. He'll be feeling better soon.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Feel better handsome.

I know exactly how you feel getting a boy who had been in a home and his teeth were neglected. Same situation here with Lenny and he goes in Sept 1st for his dental.

I think that some people don't even give a thought to their teeth needing to be cleaned.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest garysgreys

Wow.....26 teeth !!! Poor fella, sure hope He's starting to feel better. I've heard about Greyhounds and their bad teeth so I guess I'm just lucky, I have four Greys and of the four only one has had two teeth removed. Heal up quick Miles, I'm praying for You.

God Bless you for taking Miles and supporting him. My vet would have charged a lot more for all those teeth. May Miles had a long healthy life with you.

:kiss2

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I hope he feels better soon. I"m sure having that stick gone feels better already.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest greytexplorer

Ask your vet if there is an antibiotic shot that they can give him. In the US, it's called Convenia. Poor guy, the less messin' with him right now, the better!

He has really been through the ringer, bless him, but like others have already said, he will be better off in the long run.

hugs to you both, and check in with updates when you can

~Pat