Has Anyone Dealt With Brain Surgery?

Butkus is scheduled for his brain tumor removal on Friday, and DH and I are sort of messes...we're very worried about both the surgery itself, and the recovery and aftereffects. Can anyone who's gone through it give us an idea of what to expect? My reasoning tells me that it shouldn't be a bad recovery; since there are no nerve endings in the brain, he won't be in as much pain as if they were to cut into his muscle and whatnot...But my reasoning has failed me before! We actually won't be there for most of the recovery; we're coming in to the MN clinic from Madison, and then, since it's part of the study, we have to leave him there for two weeks while he recovers. My mom and brother will most likely visit him on a regular basis during that time, if it's allowed.

And what about AFTER the surgery? Do you think we'll have our 'old' Butkus back, or will his personality change because they've cut into his brain? We'll take what we can get, of course, but I'd just like to mentally prepare.

Any personal anecdotes/medical know-how would really be appreciated!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

I have never dealt with this, but I would assume there will be a bit of a recovery time, and MIGHT be some personality changes, based on the location of the tumor.

A good friend of mine (human) had brain surgery, and her personality did change a little. She is wayyy more emotional and sometimes, doesn't have the best control over those emotions. Those of us who know her, and understand.

We want to send you love, good luck, and lots and lots of prayers for your boy! I am sure he will sail right through this! Love Dee and the Five

Guest IrskasMom

I have No Experience and No Advice. Just wanted to wish Butkus lots of Luck . Sending him Gentle Hugs and Prayers .

:grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

I will be looking for Updates on Butkus .

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Energy11

This is what THE HUMAN frontal lobe does. We would have to modify it a bit for dogs, I am sure. Still searching, and will post when and if I find something more :-) D

The frontal lobe is located in the front (anterior) portion of the brain and its functions include reasoning, planning, parts of speech, movement, emotions, and problem solving. The frontal lobe communicates greatly with the limbic system in processing emotional and painful information and the frontal lobe has the primary motor region that controls voluntary body movement

Guest Energy11
This is what THE HUMAN frontal lobe does. We would have to modify it a bit for dogs, I am sure. Still searching, and will post when and if I find something more :-) D

The frontal lobe is located in the front (anterior) portion of the brain and its functions include reasoning, planning, parts of speech, movement, emotions, and problem solving. The frontal lobe communicates greatly with the limbic system in processing emotional and painful information and the frontal lobe has the primary motor region that controls voluntary body movement

Everything I can find is VERY deep, and there are few articles. I would ask your vet, whose going to do the surgery. He/she can certainly tell you what to expect. Dogs are sooo much more resilient than we humans, so you might notice little change :-)

Everything I can find is VERY deep, and there are few articles. I would ask your vet, whose going to do the surgery. He/she can certainly tell you what to expect. Dogs are sooo much more resilient than we humans, so you might notice little change :-)

So it sounds like I won't be asking Butkus to dance the cha cha or do a word problem anytime soon.... :lol I'll definitely go over this with my vet beforehand...they've got 5 other dogs they've done this procedure on, so hopefully they can at least tell me how THEY'RE doing.

Wow. That's a major surgery. I'd ask your vet every question and then some. At least it's operable.

Well, it WASN'T considered operable until I found this amazing clinical trial! Or, at the very least, it was considered 'operable but pointless' because this kind of tumor would have grown back within like 4 months of the removal. We're so lucky to be part of this!! I'm so excited, but, like I said, scared outta my mind, too!

I don't have any experience on this subject, but I just wanted to wish you all good luck with the procedure.

I will add Butkus to my prayers and hope that he has as uneventful a recovery as possible.

Edited by maryz

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Energy11

So it sounds like I won't be asking Butkus to dance the cha cha or do a word problem anytime soon.... :lol I'll definitely go over this with my vet beforehand...they've got 5 other dogs they've done this procedure on, so hopefully they can at least tell me how THEY'RE doing.

Soooo GLAD you are keeping your sense of humor! :-)) It will help YOU and Butkus! Yes, DO ASK, ASK, ASK the vets all kinds of questions! As you said, they've done five of these. Good Luck to you!

I would also ask the vet if you can talk to the people that had the surgery before. Vets don't usually deal with the day-to-day changes and thus, would be less likely to be aware of small changes. If you get a dog owner, they would be able to be much more detailed in what has changed.

Best of luck with this trial and I hope it all turns out well

Guest Energy11

I would also ask the vet if you can talk to the people that had the surgery before. Vets don't usually deal with the day-to-day changes and thus, would be less likely to be aware of small changes. If you get a dog owner, they would be able to be much more detailed in what has changed.

Best of luck with this trial and I hope it all turns out well

[/quote

EXCELLENT IDEA! Then, they'd also have a support group of people who have been through this!

Wow. That's a major surgery. I'd ask your vet every question and then some. At least it's operable.

Well, it WASN'T considered operable until I found this amazing clinical trial! Or, at the very least, it was considered 'operable but pointless' because this kind of tumor would have grown back within like 4 months of the removal. We're so lucky to be part of this!! I'm so excited, but, like I said, scared outta my mind, too!

What kind of tumor? I had a poodle with a menengioma a very invasive tumor. Had surgery and radiation, lived 8 months. I would not do it again that was 14 years ago.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

It's a glioma, which is a really aggressive tumor. We found out 2 months ago he had it, and have been prepared to let him go. But last week, we found out about a clinical study at the U of MN that is specifically looking for dogs with this tumor. They've operated on five dogs, and all have been or are on their way to being successful at remission of over 1 year. (Google the Batman brain tumor study, it's pretty big news right now). They said the tumor is in the perfect spot for removal, so I'm very hopeful. If nothing else, the end result will be the same as if we did nothing (Butkus will die), except that we'll have contributed to an amazing chance of finding a cure for cancer. If it were any other situation, I wouldn't do the surgery either; in fact, we turned down the surgery + radiation option when we first got the diagnosis. But this gives us hope.

I'm very sad to hear about your poodle...that is what we feared would happen if we did the regular surgery. My sympathies go out to you.

Guest FordRacingRon

I have no advice but want you to know Butkus will be on the prayer list. If he could understand, he is doing a great service to dog kind and I hope he becomes the 6th success story.

Guest lynne893
If nothing else, the end result will be the same as if we did nothing (Butkus will die), except that we'll have contributed to an amazing chance of finding a cure for cancer. If it were any other situation, I wouldn't do the surgery either; in fact, we turned down the surgery + radiation option when we first got the diagnosis. But this gives us hope.

For this, you are an amazing, generous person. I wish you all the best luck in the world.

Hugs from California, from a UW-Madison alumna.

We have our craniotomy patients right out of the operating room and recover them in the ICU. Depending on tumor pathology/location/functional area will determine what we watch for. Ask the surgeon what kind of neurological monitoring they will be doing after the surgery. Because it is part of a study, will they be giving him a course of steroids/decadron afterward as a part of the protocol. What kinds of functional issues should you expect considering the location of the tumor/lesion. Is he already on antiseizure meds and if not will they start them prophylactically. Will they keep him sedated for any appreciable amount of time after the surgery and what will they be using. How will they gauge his pain and what will they use for relief of pain. What follow up scans will they be doing and at what intervals.

With our human patients, they are usually awake pretty quick and talking to us. We usually have them up and out of bed the next morning. Pain in and of itself is not usually bad but if they have had to cut through muscle such as the back lower area (suboccipital) of the head, it can be very uncomfortable. I hope Butkus comes through nicely with an uneventful recovery and my prayers go out to you, him and for the steady skills of the surgeon.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest eaglflyt

I'm praying for the very best for Butkus and for you and your family. I wish him a safe and successful surgery and a very good and speedy recovery.

Well, we're on our way to drop Butkus off. We've got about 2 1/2 hours of driving left, and I'm spending the drive switching back and forth between excited and terrified.

Well, we're on our way to drop Butkus off. We've got about 2 1/2 hours of driving left, and I'm spending the drive switching back and forth between excited and terrified.