Glucosamine For Humans And Pups

Enza has a tricky hind leg in that 99% of the time she is fine, but if she limps - it is always that leg. It is also the leg that when it's touched weirdly, she whines and buries her head in my leg. The vet hasn't found anything wrong with it and suggested Glucosamine. I purchased the doggie kind and it's helped a great deal. Of course the doggie kind is significantly more expensive than the human kind and I am wondering how much of a difference there is between the two. I really can't find any major difference according to the labels.

So - is there is a big flashing neon sign reason why I can't give Enza the human kind of gluccosamine. If I can, any brand or dosage?

Guest TheUnrulyHound

I buy my glucosamine at Sams, just the generic brand that has condrointin in it as well. I give my boys a full human dose once a day. This was recommended by my vet and I know many others who use the human brands as well ;) It really does help!!!!

Just FYI my boys all weigh around 75-80 pounds each so I don't know how much you would give a smaller girl. Though I do not think it is anything they can OD on....

I buy my glucosamine at Sams, just the generic brand that has condrointin in it as well. I give my boys a full human dose once a day. This was recommended by my vet and I know many others who use the human brands as well ;) It really does help!!!!

Just FYI my boys all weigh around 75-80 pounds each so I don't know how much you would give a smaller girl. Though I do not think it is anything they can OD on....

Thanks! Enza is my big girl - 68 lbs and just as tall as most of the boys - so the dosage is helpful.

I buy only the human grade stuff. There's no difference except in some of the doggie ones, you get flavouring and chewable options. ;)

Atlas gets 2 tablets/day of Glucosamine and Chondroitin mixed (750mg/tab of Gluco)

Echo and Orion get 1000mg of Glucosamine/day. Just the plain capsules open and sprinkled on their morning food.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

We've had really good luck using NutriVet treats with glucosamine in them. I don't know the amount per serving offhand, though. Two or three treats a day keep her left hind leg from dropping.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest sja5032

Human grade is fine, my vet actually suggested it for my dog because he won't chew the chewables (he is very anti-pill). If you are worried about overdosing just buy regular strength with chondroitin. You could also go for the kind with MSM if you don't see an improvement in a about a month.

I have been hesitant to use the human grade and don't ask me why. I buy it from Claudia at the greyhound gang and it does not have any fillers. I give 1500 mg once a day. Claudia swears by it. Claudia where are you??? Hopefully Claudia will see this post and give you some information.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Nothing wrong with the human stuff, just be sure you are getting a reliable brand (so you get the dosage you are paying for) Greyhound Gang's stuff is great, and the cheapest, but one of mine HATES anything sprinkled on his food :rolleyes: so I use the chewable Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime.

I'm a big beleiver in MSM so I use human grade glucomsine and by my MSM through Omaha vaccine and add it to their food (MSM) is cheep if bought seperate.

Guest Billie

I take the Glucosamine HORSE PILLS (they are big) :lol they sell at Costco, those things are really difficult for me to swallow, my husband almost had to do the Heimlich on me last weekend while I was trying to choke one of them down (dose is 2 per day). I might start crumbling them up and sprinkling them on MY food! :rolleyes: I hate taking pills though, I have a strong gag reflex or something.

Anyway my question is, can you crumble up a full human sized-one and give it to a pet with no problem then, the dosage isn't too much? I wouldn't mind starting to give it to one of our cats (he weighs 9 pounds), our dogs are all fine but our one cat is really old and seems to have gotten a lot "stiffer" in the past few months....?

I take the Glucosamine HORSE PILLS (they are big) :lol they sell at Costco, those things are really difficult for me to swallow, my husband almost had to do the Heimlich on me last weekend while I was trying to choke one of them down (dose is 2 per day). I might start crumbling them up and sprinkling them on MY food! :rolleyes: I hate taking pills though, I have a strong gag reflex or something.

Anyway my question is, can you crumble up a full human sized-one and give it to a pet with no problem then, the dosage isn't too much? I wouldn't mind starting to give it to one of our cats (he weighs 9 pounds), our dogs are all fine but our one cat is really old and seems to have gotten a lot "stiffer" in the past few months....?

We've crumbled the pills without any adverse effects. They're not time-released kinds so it's okay to do this.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Nothing wrong with the human stuff, just be sure you are getting a reliable brand (so you get the dosage you are paying for) Greyhound Gang's stuff is great, and the cheapest, but one of mine HATES anything sprinkled on his food :rolleyes: so I use the chewable Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime.

I use the product from the Greyhound Gang and I can tell you there is no taste to the Glucosamine or Chondroitin. The MSM has a slight bitter taste, but it doesn't bother my guys. I just put a little water in their dry food, which I have always done, and mix the powder in a little bit. No problems. :)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

i found a large 2 lb. (900gm) tub of 'equine america' powdered glucosamin & MSM that was less than half the price of doggy stuff at a local farm supply store (in the horse section). it lastes a bit over a year; i've also used the human kind (mortar & pestle to powder them). asked my vet neighbour and he said glucosamine from a reputable source either human or animal is the same. go with the cheapest. heck, i've even put the horsey powder in large gelatine capsules and taken it myself. about 1500mg/day per doggy or human. i mix the powder in with a bit of canned dog food, calcium suppliment and a dollup of virgin olive oil, and hot water to top off their kibble.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.